Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 07, 2024, 10:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My intro  (Read 411 times)
bluejeans

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Committed relationship for almost 9 years. We were officially broken up for 3 months a couple of years ago.

« on: February 27, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »

Hi, This is my first post. I have a partner of 8 plus years who I am sure has BPD.  We are a lesbian couple. I was a member of this site before, just reading the posts on and off for a few years. I then forgot my username, etc. so now have signed up again.  I am ready to jump in. It has been 8 years of ups and downs, very similar to everything I have read here. Two years ago her psychiatrist told her she does not have BPD. Symptoms were few so I believed it for awhile but now I am again convinced. I don't see how we can continue on as a couple without having this addressed and without her getting treatment for it (DBT ?).  She goes to therapy regularly, has a AA sponsor, Alanon Sponsor, psychiatrist, and more but no one is addressing this with her. I go to CODA and therapy as well.  I want to bring up the BPD with her again but concerned about her reaction. She has been away for a week, basically a mental health break from her work and our relationship, but she comes home tomorrow and I know nothing has changed. How could it really? She has an appt. with her psychiatrist next week. I hope to go along, and she may be willing to have me there. I think it may be a safe place to bring up the BPD again, but not sure of the timing.  She is really in the middle of exhibiting all the symptoms. She is grieving over losing our dog in December and her dad is ill - I believe these are the triggers.  Anyway, there is a good outpatient treatment facility in our town that she could utilize, if she is willing. I am reading The Lessons here and lots of other resources online.  To summarize, it is overwhelming.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

NGU

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Together since 2011. Married since 2013.

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »

Welcome, bluejeans. After reading your post, I agree; it sounds overwhelming.

One thing I want to throw out here... .my s/o has no problem bringing up the fact she has Major Depressive Disorder, but wow, she does NOT want to talk about Borderline. I have no idea why. Some sort of stigma? Collect symptoms of MDD, PTSD etc., and BPD really isn't too far off.

Glad you came back here. Hopefully you can go to the appt and find some way to bring this up. Keep us updated.

-ngu
bluejeans

Relationship status: Committed relationship for almost 9 years. We were officially broken up for 3 months a couple of years ago.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »

Thanks, NGU. My partner has PTSD, depression, and anxiety as well. I think - wouldn't it be good to really know what's going on so it can be treated properly? Maybe that sounds naive.   

I have been reading about validation a lot. I think I am pretty good at it but there are times I know I can do better. That is something I will work on.

NGU

Relationship status: Together since 2011. Married since 2013.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:28 PM »

It's not naive at all. It would be great, especially for you, since you can recognize the symptoms when they crop up and act accordingly.

I wish diagnosing and treating people with mental disorders was as precise as addition and subtraction. But there are too many subjective elements and drug reactions. I'll leave it there so I don't start whining about psychiatrists.

bluejeans

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »

So, she came home about 4 pm yesterday and by 9 pm I was the worst person ever... .again. I guess the time away didn't help at all. I knew it wouldn't but really... .this is so tiring.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:01:37 AM »

So, she came home about 4 pm yesterday and by 9 pm I was the worst person ever... .again. I guess the time away didn't help at all. I knew it wouldn't but really... .this is so tiring.

Feeling like the worst person ever has gotta be unsettling, sorry about that.  She was gone for a week, that's a pretty long time.  Were you happy to see her?  What were those hours (4pm - 9pm) like between the two of you?  How did your conversations go?
bluejeans

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »

We tried to keep it light because she went away to get away from stress. We got along ok until she asked me to tell my son to get his things out of the dryer right away. I had forgotten that she had a blanket in the washer since it had been done for a while. So I asked why but then realized why right away. She got so upset with me that I asked why. I tried to explain that I had forgotten about the blanket. Somehow it turned into a big deal since explaining myself makes it worse.  I am sure I could have validated her somewhere in the middle of this but it was hard to get a word in.  Later she texted me about how I shouldn't yell at her. I didn't yell.

I always find it interesting that if I make a small mistake it is a big deal and she is so offended. Also, I texted her back stating that I didn't yell. I know I shouldn't have responded. For the most part I ignore the angry texts and emails.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest