Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 03:56:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bowen Family Theory: Triangulation  (Read 346 times)
Suassíos

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: September 15, 2023, 03:11:23 PM »

Thank you to the contributor who mentioned that Bowen Theory might be helpful. I read this in a thread a while back. I ordered a book online and I’m finding it helpful.  I didn’t really get some concepts including triangulation. I’m learning a lot. It’s helpful that the “third” point of a triangle can be the healthy place to be, I think sometimes the exclusion makes one feel wronged, but if the people who are excluding have an dysfunctional point of view, being the third point is the place to be!

I find the dysregulation in my partner and as far as I can see most members of his family very hard to understand, but I did one of those online tests of differentiation (and yes I appreciate that it’s not a score or a test system from the book I’ve read), but that I don’t actually have a completely “intellectual” or rational response all of the time and I also have emotional factors in my responses. Which is ok I think! Just to keep them in check though and to be aware!

I am also interested in the thread this week about telling lies. And how a partner with BPD could corner you into telling something not true to avoid a distressing situation with them. Well my life is just full of distressing situations partly because I just can’t be dishonest, and I don’t mean that in a grandiose way, I think it’s generally good but im probably the annoying person who is just too ridiculously by the book. But I’ve always wondered how BOTH of my husbands parents have a team approach that is dysfunctional, when they come from different families themselves and seem to respond differently initially to situations but this fairly quickly becomes a United team response which is usually set by his Mom. So maybe his dad just goes along with something he knows isn’t true just to have an easier life? Funny my husband said his psychiatrist suggested that might be the case a while back.

I wish it didn’t take so long to learn about all of these patterns of behaviour, and to see the wood from the trees.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 11:35:29 AM »

I didn’t really get some concepts including triangulation.

This is a good and brief discussion on triangulation:
https://www.bpdfamily.com/content/karpman-drama-triangle

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 11:38:16 AM »

I am also interested in the thread this week about telling lies. And how a partner with BPD could corner you into telling something not true to avoid a distressing situation with them.

Well my life is just full of distressing situations partly because I just can’t be dishonest, and I don’t mean that in a grandiose way, I think it’s generally good but im probably the annoying person who is just too ridiculously by the book.

You should join in that conversation!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest