Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 11:23:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choices  (Read 339 times)
UnforgivenII

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:24 PM »

Do you know what it feels terribile? The duplicity. I introduce you to my parente. The next day I discard you. I say I love you. But I discard you all the same. And even if we say... .they are sick. But they make choices. He could reassure me. Some kind words. But he chose to tell and break things. This is a choices. He could have helped me with home expenses as he lived at my house practically. But he chose to but comicsfor his collection. This is a choices.
schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »

I think the biggest way in which we are deceived is into believing that our BPD loved ones are capable of committed, loving, adult relationships with us. Perhaps they can simulate such for a very short time, but I truly believe they are incapable of such due to the nature of their disorder.

I think it is easier to let go, when we come to accept that they were incapable of being what we require and expect in our relationships.

If you see their behaviors as a "choice," then you are perhaps bargaining with the possibility that they could have made the "right" choice.  You are questioning that perhaps they could have chosen to not be disordered. I don't think this is true. And I think seeing it this way may make it more difficult to let go.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »

Hi UnforgivenII,

Excerpt
The next day I discard you. I say I love you. But I discard you all the same.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that.  That sounds like lack of impulse control. For a pwBPD feelings = facts and for the non disordered partner it's feelings followed after the facts. At that time, you probably were giving something to your ex that made him content and then he was unhappy with something, maybe rejection, or abandonment? It could be anything really that is perceived or distorted in the person's mind. You can't control distorted thinking if you're not aware that you're thinking is distorted?

It's poor decision making and not thinking things through because of lack of impulse control and not seeing the bigger picture or their consequences with their actions or choices.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
UnforgivenII

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »

So sorry for all the mistakes in my post. It is my tablet it keeps correcting... .

Yes but if you make a poor decision you can always change your mind.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »

You're right. That makes sense to a non-disordered person but what if you were sensitive and didn't want to look bad because you made a poor decision or your thinking is very rigid and isn't flexible like a non-disordered person? Life is in the grey area with some black and white, but to a pwBPD life is black and white and the person can't integrate the two.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »

Yes, and to add to what Mutt said, a borderline's mind is always changing, because the emotions a borderline feels are intense, so intense that thoughts are changed to make the emotions feel better, to the point of distorting reality entirely.  We all do that BTW, frame things in our mind in such a way that makes whatever it was feel better so we can live with ourselves, but take that to the extreme and add cognitive distortion and projection, like a borderline does, and the mind changes are all over the place.

Also, there's an expectation that someone will be somewhat consistent with how they show up in the world, with a decision made and then later it is decided the decision was poor, so make a new decision, with the expectation of consistency across all of that.  But with "markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self" and "affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood", two official traits of the disorder, the person who made the original decision is not the same as the person looking at that decision later, a consequence of not having a fully formed self, so there can't be consistency.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest