Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 05, 2024, 09:57:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife with BPD  (Read 415 times)
Kyle1111

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 24, 2020, 11:10:05 AM »

My Wife has BPD, we have a 3 year old daughter.
She checked into an outpatient program because "I don't support her emotionally".
In a rage, she said she was going to kill herself. I took my daughter and was leaving.
She opened the back door trying to get our daughter out of the car seat saying I was kidnapping her.

I slowly backed the car out of the driveway. as I was backing up the car door she had opened slowly pushed her back to the edge of the drive way. She had me arrested for domestic violence.

Things just went downhill from there.

Last night we went back to our marriage councilor, where i proceeded to listen to her talk about how everything is my fault, in her outpatient program she realized I'm not a good husband and that I'm an alcoholic and she want's a divorce unless I save the marriage. She said it's solely up to me.

When we got home she said she was sorry we were hurting each other. Two seconds later she said That I needed to get treatment for my alcoholism. (I'm Not an alcoholic this is just her fail-safe way of shifting the blame) I said no, I don't have a problem with alcohol. She said then file the papers. I said Divorce papers? She said yeah. I left the situation then she texted me, "Please stop breaking my heart"
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »

Hello Kyle and welcome to the family! Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

You've come to the right place. As heartbreaking as your story is, it's a familiar one around here. So many of us have experienced (or are experiencing) something very similar. And I've come across quite a few members (usually male) who've been accused of domestic violence. We've got a workshop about it here.

Have you done much reading about BPD? We have some great articles on this site and can recommend books if you're interested.

It can all be overwhelming but we can help you sort through things and break a big situation into bite-sized pieces. The more detail we have, the better we're able to help. So when you feel up to it, I hope you'll share more.
Kyle1111

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »

Thank you Ozzie,

Thank you. I've read stop walking on eggshells. That's what brought me here. We've been married for 5 years. She always told me she was bipolar with depression. Our marriage councilor recommended i read that book and I was stunned, It all makes sense. She admits that she is BPD now.

I'm am and have been going through the same hell a lot of people here have.

Do they ever take accountability? Ironically that has been her main pet peaves through our counseling. She says I have no accountability and I'm entitled. I've learned about projection and that's exactly what's happening.

Do They ever realize that they are projecting there problems on you?

My wife acts like a child and threatens to divorce me at least once a day.
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 02:12:11 PM »

Do they ever take accountability? Sometimes. It depends on their self-awareness and how high-functioning they are. When he's not dysregulating, my H has a lot of awareness and he'll admit to and apologize for a lot. But that's after a breakthrough in anger management therapy -- and he was already high-functioning to begin with.

But that depends on the case.

Excerpt
My wife acts like a child and threatens to divorce me at least once a day.

What a coincidence! My H told me he wanted a divorce last night (he, of course, does not). Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

But seriously, it's a difficult thing to hear, though I've found that it loses its sting over time. I've warned him now that he needs to drop that threat unless he really, truly means it. It could have very negative consequences for him. But, as I said, he's self-aware when he's centered.

Is your wife still doing therapy (outside marriage counseling)? How does your marriage counselor handle it when she talks that way in-session?
Kyle1111

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 02:26:35 PM »

She was doing an out-patient program but on the basis of the reason I'm here is because my husband doesn't support me emotionally. (All My fault).We have a really good councilor but he and I both know that she's in a state where she can't handle the truth. I've been divorced before and the piece of paper means nothing to me. The divorce threats don't sting, just drawing me closer to saying ok let's do it.
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »

Excerpt
The divorce threats don't sting, just drawing me closer to saying ok let's do it.

Exactly. That's what I'm thinking when I tell my H he needs to drop it or it could lead to negative consequences.

It sounds like she's not really open to therapy. I'm sorry. That's frustrating to live with. Especially when you're the target of blame and projection.

We've got a workshop about accusations and blame here, if you want to take a look and see if it speaks to you and your situation.

Anyway, regardless of her therapy, there are things you can do that may help make things better -- or at least not make them worse. A lot of us here have seen real progress and success. I know it was an eye-opener for me to learn about JADE and SET.

I, too, was led here by the Eggshells book. It really did a lot to teach me about H's behaviors and thought processes.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest