Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 09:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slept on the couch  (Read 438 times)
maxsterling

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« on: November 29, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »

Thursday night after an emotional day, I needed some sleep.  She decided to stay awake and try to have a conversation with me about how my mom makes her angry.  Uggh.  Not at all what I need at 11pm when I need to sleep!  Needless to say, I did not sleep well, went to sleep upset, and took half of Friday to feel calm enough to actually work.  Then last night (Friday) after I got home, she wanted to talk about my mom and my family again.  I validated and then told her that my life works much better if I let yesterday be yesterday and focus on today and the immediate future.  She agreed, and I thought we had moved on.

Yet, laying down to bed, she asked if I ever wanted to live in Chicago.  I replied "No."  She said, "why, too cold?"  I said, "Yes."  Then she went on about how I had agreed at one time that I would be open to moving somewhere else some day.  I told her "yes, but I need to focus on more immediate tasks for now."  She got angrier and kept up and pressed me where I might like to move.  I said "North Carolina" (just throwing it out there because I hear it's pretty).  She got angrier with my response, then started saying about how I make no strides to look for another job or earn more money... .here we go again.  I told her that I was very tired and we could talk about this tomorrow.  SHe continued.  I told her again that I can discuss these issues with her tomorrow and that I was tired and I NEED sleep for my heath.  She continued.   I reminded her a THIRD time, and said if she was unwilling to talk about this tomorrow, that I would sleep on the couch.  She continued.

So I slept on the couch.

Thoughts?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat21

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »

Sounds like the right move, Max. And it also sounds exhausting! I hope you were able to get some rest. She didn't follow you out to the couch (right)?, so it looks like your boundary enforcement worked.

Any response from her today?
maxsterling

Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »

She got up, went to an AA meeting.  Didn't say anything.  And I got up, and went to an alanon meeting before she came home.  I sent her a text message before I left letting her know where I was going.  SHe responded by saying she was going to physical therapy.  No vitriol - good.  I fully expected when I saw her again that she would bring all this up again and demand an apology or at least go on and on about how I hurt her by sleeping on the couch.  But I got none of that.  Obviously, she's in a depressed mood, but so far - no word or mention.  And that's the way I want it because there is nothing to talk about (in my opinion).   We even went for a walk and had a decent conversation, and last night was not brought up.

Boundaries worked?  1) I got some sleep 2) she didn't bring it up again. 

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Yes indeedy! Boundaries work!

You might try applying them earlier in the conversation. Difficult r/s issues aren't good at bedtime.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »

Good for you for insisting on your right to sleep. I guard my sleep--it's very precious to me and if I don't have enough, I'm rather resourceless the following day.

My BPDh, who also has an issue with alcohol, used to wake me up in the middle of the night, of the to tell me that he "loved me" and it would infuriate me. Often it was when I had gone to bed early, alone, needing to get up early the next morning. And he would be prowling around the house, getting drunk, making a mess in the kitchen and suddenly needing to express his "love".

He really thought I was a b!tch for not appreciating his expression of love. Meanwhile, I was seething, furious at his lack of consideration for my health and well being.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:05:25 AM »

You did fine. I would probably have hit the couch earlier, your frustration would have been less, and she knows the routine now.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »

I'm wondering if sleep disorders are common with pwBPD. I've had to set a boundary that I go to bed at 10:30 every night and if he wants to stay up later, he sleeps in another room.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest