Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 07:47:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck?  (Read 428 times)
15years

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: October 26, 2023, 08:14:36 AM »

I used to think/fantasize so much about leaving, and I felt that it was just around the corner. Now I still fantasize, but I don't feel that it will ever happen. This change has been in the process for this whole year. Is this normal?

I also think most of the attention I previously had on trying to prepare myself for ending the marriage shifted to other things this year.

There's so much possibility to enjoy a more social and exciting life, but none of that seems possible while staying in the marriage.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 09:43:03 AM »

Hey, thanks for sharing the update of where you're at.

I used to think/fantasize so much about leaving, and I felt that it was just around the corner. Now I still fantasize, but I don't feel that it will ever happen. This change has been in the process for this whole year. Is this normal?

It can be. It's possible that when we're in a long-term stressful situation, that we can shift from trying to escape it, to feeling depressed -- like it'll never end. That's one possibility. Might be helpful to take a depression self-assessment just to get some information.

I also think most of the attention I previously had on trying to prepare myself for ending the marriage shifted to other things this year.

What other things got your attention this year?

There's so much possibility to enjoy a more social and exciting life, but none of that seems possible while staying in the marriage.

It's been difficult for you and your family for a long time.

Sounds like you look at your life and marriage, and it seems not possible to end the marriage, and also not possible to have a more vibrant life while married. Is that close?
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 02:54:54 PM »

Any thoughts on what changed for you?

Breathe.
JoeBPD81

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 04:42:11 AM »

I relate with that feeling.

I don't fantasize about leaving, but SHE left me so often, that I pictured my life after the break up very often too. And I felt it was inminent too. I spent the covid months with the premise that she would leave as soon as it was possible for them (she and her kids from a previous marriage), and we are not even married. It was really confusing when she asked me for more commitment, more involvement, or more energy, when I was just holding up as best as I could just paying their rent waiting for her to leave me. I can't overstate to her how damaging that was to me. She remembers I wasn't as loving as I should have. But I remember I was her ex, paying her bills and putting a good face so the kids weren't scared all the time.

Finally I said I couldn't take it anymore. And she reacted as if it had come out of the blue. We talked and we tried... One kid got very sick and we dealt with that. And we've been dealing with that crisis since.

For me it is a combination of loving her, but also knowing she depends on me economically. The kids have a semblance of normal life, because I live with them. If I retire my support, then they have to go straight to social services, to beg for a roof over their heads.

I picture myself living in the woods with no human contact. I picture having a terminal diagnosis and feeling super happy and relieved inside. I know there must be a better life for me but I don't hope or plan for it at all anymore. I AM depressed, and I fail to see the point in anything. I don't think I will leave nor they leave me. And I can't add to my state the guilt of leaving them homeless. How could that help?

I don't know if your situation has to do with her depending on you. Let us know.

We are in this together.
15years

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 08:00:29 AM »

Hi, I had the flu for over a week, it wasn't my intention to not reply for over a week!

I do feel depressed a lot. Like my life and especially the family life is a pretend life. I'm still there but hoping to be somewhere else with them. My sons don't know anything else, they think I'm all in and I feel like I'm missing out on their childhood because of this.

At the same time I have been playing the same board game online that I was talking about early 2023, and I have been thinking a lot about playing real life tournaments someday, but it's starting to feel more like a fantasy and an escape. And nothing in my real life is going anywhere.

I relate to what Joe says, I think she would be so helpless without me. I would just like to grab a hold of everyone and say that my wife is deeply mentally ill, and I'm really struggling to take care of her all by myself.
Now she wants another child too, and makes me feel like an extreme pessimist for not wanting to plan for that. I really fear for the vast emotional experience of the process of having a child with her at this point.

Everything feels a bit hopeless right now. I want everything to work out good, but not with us as a couple. But the journey to that point is too terrifying.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 12:13:12 PM »

I relate to what Joe says, I think she would be so helpless without me. I would just like to grab a hold of everyone and say that my wife is deeply mentally ill, and I'm really struggling to take care of her all by myself.

I get it.  In the year before my separation my spouse was moaning and groaning about her life, sleeping in the guest bedroom, refusing to get out of bed to care for our preschooler until I left for work.  "I've fed breakfast to son, please get up so I can leave for work, I'm already late" and I would hear back, "Then leave, I'm not getting up until you leave!  Just go!"

As soon as we were separated and soon to be divorcing, she was totally the opposite.  All sorts of energy, the usual physical ills of course but she did not fall apart, not one bit.  Nearly 20 years later and she has work as well as owning her own small business.

Notwendy wrote this a few days ago.  "We were concerned how BPD mother would manage without my father when he passed. She did a lot better than we expected. You may also be concerned about how your wife would manage. I think she is probably more resourceful than you might expect."

Now she wants another child too, and makes me feel like an extreme pessimist for not wanting to plan for that. I really fear for the vast emotional experience of the process of having a child with her at this point.

Whether to agree was discussed at great length in your past posts.  Having another child would set you back even further.  If she was pregnant and then later had your baby, then you'd feel even more powerless to take back you life.  You'd be set back another 5 years or more, this time fretting over two children.

Everything feels a bit hopeless right now. I want everything to work out good, but not with us as a couple. But the journey to that point is too terrifying.

This is the crux of your dilemma.  Can you - will you - actually do something for yourself and for the child you already have?  You know what's the hardest thing of all?  Well, IMO anyway?  Sitting on the fence, wanting to go but never quite going, always torn both ways.

Many of were there too, sitting on that metaphorical fence, bad enough to want to leave like a deer paralyzed in the headlights but not quite bad enough to actually take action and leave, torn as to what to do and when, if ever.  I can't predict what would be the deciding impetus for you, whether to continue or to end it.  It seems she has you where she wants you, available for her bidding but not quite calling it quits.

It's your life, whichever choice you make.  Just remember that not making a choice, living in between either alternative, in reality, is also a choice.
 Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 12:19:37 PM by ForeverDad » Logged

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest