Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 05:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying but overwhelmed  (Read 369 times)
Josie C

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: March 07, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »

My dd20 (the oldest of 4) was dx at 18 with depression and anxiety, this coming after she went away to college on a full 4-year academic scholarship only to come home after one year due to low grades, being picked up for shoplifting, suicidal ideation, and emotion/anger issues that have made our home a war zone.  Once home, we required her to start therapy, and my dh and I did as well.  Over the past 6 months her T has suggested I read BPD materials and has said our d has severe separation anxiety.  T told me she doesn't find giving a specific BPD diagnosis to be helpful.  Her approach is to look at the traits and see if they fit then go from there.  :)d is currently on two antidepressants, takes them sporadically.  

She has a history of stopping meds cold turkey, going into a major manic phase, and crashing with threats of suicide. In August she was hospitalized for a week because of this.  They changed her meds, she learned to "play nice" so as to get released, and came home angrier and more depressed than ever.  She went to live with my sister, got a job.  Two months later she quit the job, asked to return home, broke up with boyfriend of 2 years, immediately started up with a new boyfriend.  In January she enrolled in one college course. That same week she screamed that she wanted to kill me more than she wanted to kill herself. Scary stuff.  Last week she started a new job (about 6 hours a week).

She has severe emotion dysregulation, suicidal ideation, anger-anger-anger, narcissistic tendencies, impulsiveness.  Thankfully, no alcohol or drug use.  She spends money she doesn't have (literally, as her bank balance is consistently negative and she is in danger of losing her account and having a bad credit record).  We have made it clear we will no longer bail her out of financial troubles.

We provided her with a car when she went to live with my sister, being very clear that it was a family car for her to use for work and therapy appts only.  Semantics, maybe, but it is the only way to have any leverage.  :)espite not working for three months, she expects gas in the car to go whenever and wherever she pleases.  When we say no, it's fireworks.  She lies about where she goes and who she is with.  I've taken to checking the odometer in the car and it makes me feel sneaky and awful.

You can cut the tension in our home with a knife. I know I am contributing to the toxicity and have tried in earnest to stop making things worse.  But I feel used and abused, tired of being blamed for all her troubles and being told I am the one with the problems.  I'm tired of tip-toeing around the issues.  I get fed up and then everything escalates. I doubt everything I do and say.  I have a constant knot in my stomach when she is home.  I am angry, fearful, resentful, and bewildered. And I am so sad that my younger boys have to live with this every day and I am worried that they don't have the mom they deserve.

There is a DBT program about two hours from our home.  :)H and I recently attended our first parent group.  Our dd refuses, but her T is trying to encourage it.  I don't know what the next right thing to do is.  I've read some of the lessons, tools and workshops. Watched some videos.  I practically have my own library of resources that I am constantly referring to (including Shari Manning and the  Lundbergs). I know skills but don't know how to use them effectively. I'm overwhelmed.  
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »

Hi JosieC,

Big welcome to you -- I'm glad you found the site. It's hard to do anything when you feel used, abused, blamed, angry, fearful, resentful, and bewildered. That's true no matter who you are, or where it's happening, much less when it's a child you have raised, who you love. It must feel difficult, too, that she made it to college with such promise and potential, and now this shattering reality. The expectations alone, and watching this awful mental illness overtake your child are difficult at best. That's an emotional roller coaster right there.

Are there self-care measures you can take to make sure your cup is full? You need strength for this, and right now there is so much on your plate. It's more than the "ain't no one happy if mama ain't happy" thing.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Someone has to set the emotional high bar for health in the family, and you need to have firm footing to do this work of caring for a child with special needs.

I heard so many people tell me to take care of myself I darn near tuned it right out. But it's the key to all of this.

Breathe.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »

Hi Josie C

So glad that you decided to make a post and share your story with us.  We promise to do our best to be of support to you and help you in your journey with the mental illness experience.  I am honestly concerned about how distraught you seem to be.  This level of stress over long periods of time can cause more problems than we even recognize.   

My dd20 (the oldest of 4) was dx at 18 with depression and anxiety, this coming after she went away to college on a full 4-year academic scholarship only to come home after one year due to low grades, being picked up for shoplifting, suicidal ideation, and emotion/anger issues that have made our home a war zone.  Once home, we required her to start therapy, and my dh and I did as well.  Over the past 6 months her T has suggested I read BPD materials and has said our d has severe separation anxiety.  T told me she doesn't find giving a specific BPD diagnosis to be helpful.  Her approach is to look at the traits and see if they fit then go from there.  :)d is currently on two antidepressants, takes them sporadically.

She has a history of stopping meds cold turkey, going into a major manic phase, and crashing with threats of suicide. In August she was hospitalized for a week because of this.  They changed her meds, she learned to "play nice" so as to get released, and came home angrier and more depressed than ever.

So it seems being away from home at college was too much for her and the sporadic taking of medications can cause more harm than good... .a rollercoaster of it's own created.

She went to live with my sister, got a job.  Two months later she quit the job, asked to return home, broke up with boyfriend of 2 years, immediately started up with a new boyfriend.  In January she enrolled in one college course. That same week she screamed that she wanted to kill me more than she wanted to kill herself. Scary stuff.  Last week she started a new job (about 6 hours a week).

The loss of a 2 year r/s with her boyfriend must have really been difficult for her to cope with. 

She has severe emotion dysregulation, suicidal ideation, anger-anger-anger, narcissistic tendencies, impulsiveness.  Thankfully, no alcohol or drug use.  She spends money she doesn't have (literally, as her bank balance is consistently negative and she is in danger of losing her account and having a bad credit record).  We have made it clear we will no longer bail her out of financial troubles.

Clear boundaries that you strictly adhere to are a must.

We provided her with a car when she went to live with my sister, being very clear that it was a family car for her to use for work and therapy appts only.  Semantics, maybe, but it is the only way to have any leverage.  :)espite not working for three months, she expects gas in the car to go whenever and wherever she pleases.  When we say no, it's fireworks.  She lies about where she goes and who she is with.  I've taken to checking the odometer in the car and it makes me feel sneaky and awful.

What are the consequences of misusing the car?  When she rages at you when you say "no" to a request how do you respond?

You can cut the tension in our home with a knife. I know I am contributing to the toxicity and have tried in earnest to stop making things worse.  But I feel used and abused, tired of being blamed for all her troubles and being told I am the one with the problems.  I'm tired of tip-toeing around the issues.  I get fed up and then everything escalates. I doubt everything I do and say.  I have a constant knot in my stomach when she is home.  I am angry, fearful, resentful, and bewildered. And I am so sad that my younger boys have to live with this every day and I am worried that they don't have the mom they deserve.

When we are overwhelmed and don't have clear goals, a command of the skills we need and live in the FOG we get lost in the sauce dear lady.  It is not ok to sacrifice ourselves or our other children to appease another.  It isn't good for the other children, ourselves or our BPD loved ones either.

There is a DBT program about two hours from our home.  :)H and I recently attended our first parent group.  Our dd refuses, but her T is trying to encourage it.  I don't know what the next right thing to do is.  I've read some of the lessons, tools and workshops. Watched some videos.  I practically have my own library of resources that I am constantly referring to (including Shari Manning and the  Lundbergs). I know skills but don't know how to use them effectively. I'm overwhelmed.  

We can help you practice your skills and point you to information that can help you understand their practical use and purposes.

When I was lost in the sauce the first thing I had to do was take back some control over myself... .my thoughts, my feelings, my fears.  I had to create some head space/heart space so that I could learn.  When we live in fear and are suffering from anxiety we cannot learn.  Once I created that head/heart space I felt safe and in that safe place I began to excel at learning.  I created this safe space by setting boundaries around my values of peaceful communication, personal safety, and my daughter's safety.  I could not waver on enforcing my boundaries lest I make things worse in my home and within myself.  My boundaries are like Fort Knox... .no one can get past them.

What boundaries do you need to set to create a safe space to learn skills and put them into practice in your life?

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Josie C

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:57:51 PM »

I need to learn to quote.

Thank you, livednlearned and lbjnltx.  You have both made me feel less alone and given me much to consider.  It's true, I don't protect my boundaries as I should; I'm not certain I'm even confident in what they are. The FOG envelops me and I lose myself in it.  (Lost in the sauce . . I love that!) My T has repeatedly asked how I am taking care of myself; I always thought she meant having time alone, seeing friends, doing a hobby.  These things are good distractions at times, but they can't fill a cup that is being drained at lightning speed.  So perhaps it means to define my values clearly and take care to protect them?

When she rages I try to walk away and am getting better at this.  She will follow me around and shout through locked doors. There are still times my buttons are pushed and I engage.  It's never pretty and it undoes all the effort I've made. It's a steep learning curve. 

It's no wonder I can't process all I've read.  I finally feel like I have a place to start. 
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »

Dear Josie C,

Taking care of self means a lot of things... .not having our lives consumed by the mental illness experience, protecting ourselves mentally, emotionally, and physically, nurturing other relationships, etc... .

Here is some information that may help you develop a plan of self care:

What does it mean to take care of yourself?

You are correct in your observation that we need to define our personal values before we are able to set boundaries.  It is important to differentiate between boundaries and limits.  Limits are rules we set to govern the household... .like where we allow people to eat in the house, what time curfew is on school nights, etc... .Boundaries are how we define our values to others... .what we will tolerate.

Here is some information that can help you define your core values and begin to make plans to set your boundaries:

https://bpdfamily.com/content/values-and-boundaries

Setting boundaries is a process that is best not to rush lest more problems are created.  Give them careful consideration from beginning to consequence... .take your time because they are of the highest importance in your life. They can be the turning point in your life, they were in mine.

For technical help... .click on the topic in the side bar titled "Frequently asked technical questions" at the very bottom.  If you need further assistance check out this board:  Technical Assistance

Keep posting... .ask questions.  We are here to help!

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest