Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 06:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: feeling really sick (NC)  (Read 341 times)
confetti

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 12, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »

i have been NC for what should be 120 days now; today.

i have looked through all of the workshops listed on this site, followed them, very helpful... . however, there are still signs that were so obvious that i just completely failed to notice with my exBPD. i feel as though talking about it with some of you would heal a huge part of me greatly.

i was with him for an exact year.

the thing that bothers (or hurts) me the most is that he would always ask for NC while we were still together and things were great. he would say "you need to give me a whole week, you are not allowed to call me for 7 whole days or ill restart the counter"

everytime I couldn't put up with it I'd leave him cold turkey and he would cry is eyes out begging on the phone for me to not leave him, yet 120 days ago (in front of friends) said he didn't love me and is talking to someone new.

when I asked (i am much wiser now Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)) who it was,

he would say its his guy friend and he was only fabricating that it was a girl to mess with me.i am really not falling into that hole.

like many people here I recycled a LOT.

i wish I could help the people who are stuck in cycles of NC.

it is not worth the fabrications, someone you feel that would never lie to you who so obviously would if it meant life or death.

i tried to go to friends in my grieving throughout NC thinking this breakup was normal and that I was just really ___ty at coping. it is a lot harder for people who have not gone through these processes to even fathom how hurtful this can be.

i want to also ask... . is it possible for BPD traits to rub off after so long?

i sometimes get the feeling that perhaps i was codependent and locked onto the same feelings he had.
fromheeltoheal

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »

Hi confetti!

Good for you for digging into the workshops, reading and typing; to me it means you're serious about getting through your BPD experience.

Yes, going through BPD hell is a unique experience that people who haven't done it will find hard to relate to.  But everyone on these boards has been there, so you're in the right place.

Yes, people in relationships with pwBPD can start exhibiting traits, that doesn't make you BPD though, just someone enmeshed in the disorder.  In fact most people exhibit what could be labelled BPD traits from time to time, but it needs to be pervasive and permanent to warrant a diagnosis.  And we can't diagnose here anyway, we just notice traits.

Codependents are prime targets for BPD's, I'm certainly one, although I hesitate to say that, because more accurately I get caught up in codependency in specific situations; to me codependency is a behavior, not an identity.

That might be the next step for you as you detach: focus on your part in the r/s and your own issues, and what you're going to do about them.  From what you wrote it is pretty clearly over with him, yes?
schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »

Hi confetti and  Welcome

i was with him for an exact year.  the thing that bothers (or hurts) me the most is that he would always ask for NC while we were still together and things were great. he would say "you need to give me a whole week, you are not allowed to call me for 7 whole days or ill restart the counter"

everytime I couldn't put up with it I'd leave him cold turkey and he would cry is eyes out begging on the phone for me to not leave him, yet 120 days ago (in front of friends) said he didn't love me and is talking to someone new.

when I asked (i am much wiser now Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)) who it was,

he would say its his guy friend and he was only fabricating that it was a girl to mess with me.i am really not falling into that hole.

I think what may be helpful for you is to understand how his disorder motivated him to act in this matter.

As I see it, people with BPD (pwBPD) are unable to sustain stable intimate relationships.  For them, intimacy triggers their disordered fears.  And as the relationship progresses, the more intimacy they deal with, the more of their disordered feelings they have to deal with.  So at the beginning, not so much.  But after a year, you end up seeing quite a bit of it.

In the case of your BPD loved one, I suspect that it was usually after particularly "good" periods that he would ask for his "break."  And I would guess that during his break, he "dealt" with his (imagined) fear of abandonment triggered by the closeness he felt towards you, by abandoning you first.  And after his disordered fear dissipated, he would come back to you.  Never mind that he went through pretty much the same pattern of closeness followed by abandonment with the other person.

When you decided you'd had enough of this, he would beg... .  because to be "abandoned" is to be left first.  He would beg and plead and do anything for you not to leave *first*, in order to avoid real (and imagined) abandonment.  And then he would leave after you agreed not to leave.

So it's not you specifically that he has an issue with, it is with intimacy in general with humanity at large.  :)ifferent people will trigger him to different degrees.  But so long as his disorder is unaddressed, it is only a matter of time before his disordered feelings overwhelm him.

like many people here I recycled a LOT.

i wish I could help the people who are stuck in cycles of NC.

it is not worth the fabrications, someone you feel that would never lie to you who so obviously would if it meant life or death.

Here's the rough part about getting recycled a lot.  Each time there is a break, it is a kind of mini abandonment.  When pwBPD leave, they leave in a very nasty and absolute way.  Which makes our feelings that much more intense when we "make up" and get back together.  For pwBPD, they are only going through another idealization/devaluation cycle.  This kind of on/off relationship is all they've ever known.  For us, it is like finding out our loved one died, only to be reunited in throes of passion, only for them to be dead to us once again, etc... .

I don't know what the technical term for this is, but to me it feels like "battered puppy syndrome."  The abused keeps running back to the abuser because the abuser is simultaneously the cure and cause of the abused's pain.  Kind of like a very nasty addictive drug.

i tried to go to friends in my grieving throughout NC thinking this breakup was normal and that I was just really ___ty at coping. it is a lot harder for people who have not gone through these processes to even fathom how hurtful this can be.

People who have *not* been in a relationship with someone with BPD have as much understanding as someone trying to sympathize with a codependent having trouble letting go of an alcoholic relationship (without being a codependent or an alcoholic).

i want to also ask... . is it possible for BPD traits to rub off after so long?

Very much so.  We call them "fleas."  As I see it, we go through a smidgen of what pwBPD actually have to deal with regards to their primary abandonment trauma.  The pain we feel is similar to the pain they felt as a child when they first experienced the trauma that caused their personality disorder... .  as I understand it.

We "pick up" their behaviors, because their behaviors are basically coping mechanism albeit dysfunctional ones.

i sometimes get the feeling that perhaps i was codependent and locked onto the same feelings he had.

My understanding of codependency is that it is our inclination to focus on other people's issues as a means of avoiding our own.  Which is why it is so much more painful when we have finally left our dysfunctional relationships: we are left with the pain within that we were able to dismiss/avoid/dissociate when we were caught up in the drama of our problematic relationship.

You are in the right place.  

Best wishes, Schwing

confetti

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »

thank you from fromheeltoheal ~ yes, i am completely over him! i was sort of null to admit to being codependent myself... . i think the last relationship was something to pull it out of my nature... . but it's very true about it being more of a behavior and not something to define yourself as. i guess now is a good a time as ever to face up to any facts to know myself and grow as i rebuild things such as self respect!

and to schwing - thank you very much... . that is really more than I expected and really helps me reflect... . all of the things you broke down are things i had gut feelings about at the time, but because i was so enmeshed they had become easy to deny. it feels good to hear it considering i wasn't sure of my own thoughts back then... . or if the whole relationship was even reality enough to have such thoughts to begin with.

i am very ambitious and would like to nip the leftover defense mechanism in the bud. i am still going to continue to do workshops. i really am determined to stick to my NC.

this put some shine to my coat *-* and I am very grateful

thank you for having me here.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest