Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 11:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could someone explain me triggering better, please?  (Read 349 times)
UnforgivenII

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: July 23, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »

What do we exactly do to trigger them? I guess I triggered mine a lot. Could you give me some examples, please?
gotbushels

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:29:10 AM »

Hi UnforgivenII 

Great question.

"triggered" -- having non-constructive reactions to specific words or actions based on prior experiences.  We've all been there - resentment, pessimism, defensiveness, impatience, closed mindedness, distrusting, intolerance, confrontational, defeated... .
There's a concise description for you. I encourage you to see the rest of that post as it has some helpful tips. Smiling (click to insert in post)

Example: When you tell a pwBPD that they are wrong in some way (action). That can be a simple trigger for hurt (reaction), which may not be non-constructive as it helps one to know that an apology / adjusting action may be in order. But, the pwBPD can also react from the same action by a series of non-constructive ways, such as excessive pain (reaction) or excessive defensiveness (reaction).

Not all triggers are "bad".
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:05:41 AM »

Hi UnforgivenII,

In addition to gotbushels's very informative reply, in my experience with pwBPD, sometimes my behavior (even mannerisms, looks, tone of voice) caused pwBPD to emotionally flash back to a time in his past when he felt traumatized. That usually led to emotional dysregulation, projection, and other coping strategies in order to avoid the pain, but it could take days for him to recover if the trigger was strong enough.

There are as many examples of triggering as there are human experiences, in my view. As I said, it could be the way I looked at pwBPD as I made a comment that made him think I was criticizing him, or suddenly reminded him of someone in his past who hurt him. It can be very simple and subtle, to very obvious (e.g., if we are yelling in our partner's face it could probably trigger a non-constructive response in anyone, not just someone with BPD).

What made the relationship really challenging for me is the fact that almost anything I said or did (making a comment about exercise, for example) could potentially cause ripples in pwBPD's emotional state AND one day something specific would trigger, and the next day, not at all. So, I never knew if and when my mentioning something or looking a certain way would cause a backlash. That made it impossible to try to *not* trigger him without completely changing who I was (which wouldn't be a good thing to try, obviously).

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
UnforgivenII

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »

Thanks a lot for your replies . I guess I must have been a walking trigger
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest