Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 08:29:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been oblivious? for a very long time  (Read 344 times)
fogrunner
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: July 05, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »

« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:12:35 PM by fogrunner » Logged
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »

Hi fogrunner,

From your story, it sounds like you have read up on BPD already. The dominant emotional state of The Waif is "life's too hard," according to Lawson (have you read her book? See our review and discussion here).  It sounds like you kids have been rescuing her your whole lives.  It also sounds like you've correctly identified your surrogate spouse role.  I'm sorry that she did that to you,  a child. It's emotional or cover incest (see the banner articles at the top of the board for our discussion on it).

Do you have boundaries in mind for when you move out? We can certainly help there as well and also support you in separating and asserting your independence.

Welcome

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
fogrunner
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »

« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:13:04 PM by fogrunner » Logged
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:43:50 PM »

On the romantic relationships boards, going strict NC is similar to "ghosting." In a few extreme cases,  it might be necessary.  In most cases,  it doesn't promote healing. 

I was LC with my mother after my 18th birthday.  I even moved out of state for 3 years,  but still called once a month,  visited once a year. So distance was a natural boundary.  After I moved back on-state, I saw her maybe one a month (I lived 120 miles away). I rescued her financially (sending her $5k to rescue her property from foreclosure just before I moved back) now and then,  and one time physically from people who had moved onto her property and it turned into a huge mess. 

Now, in my mid 40s, I went NC, though the opportunity to reestablish contact lies with me now. I know my mom will never call me,  even though she needs help (she's physically safe right now).

You have a long life to live. Even though I'm starting to get a little grizzled in the fur, so do I. I learned that it's possible to change, and was able to do it.  So,  too, are you able to change.  Take a look at the right margin Survivor's Guide-----> where would you see yourself at this moment?

A very senior member here once said,  "no one's coming to rescue us."

Borderlines desire to be rescued.  Maybe we all do.  We can know better,  though.  We will certainly support you here in your journey 

T

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest