Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 09, 2024, 10:09:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex-communication  (Read 362 times)
Jk416

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 03, 2016, 11:06:15 AM »

I haven't written anything lately. I have been bouncing in between boards because I'm not really sure where I am or want to be, or if we're even together or not. It changes based on his mood and perception of reality. I feel like maybe I'm asking for too much from my pwBPD. I'm not sure if he's my Bf or xbf. Currently I feel like I'm asking for too much from him. When we met almost a year and a half ago, he was engaged. About a month into it, he allege of the wedding. He has been trying to end their romantic relationship since April 2015. He has kicked her out f the house various times since then. She finally other own place over a month ago. He insists on continuing to be friends with her, which I told him I was fine wit has long as it doesn't interfere with progressing our relationship.

He said she no longer had a key to his home, yet some things I left there, and his things as well, have been taken. He had been talking about changing the locks for a while and finally did so this weekend. I thought we were finally moving forward from her, Moshe's started talking to her almost daily. He swears he doesn't want to be with her, but feels she's supposed to be in his life somehow. I know this is not uncommon with pwBPD, so I'm curious to know he others have handled communication with an ex-partner.

I haven asked hi to stop talking to her. I know how that conversation would go. I believe that he no longer wants to be with her. I just don't understand this ongoing need to "take care of her." Should I just get over my frustration about the phone calls, which so far I know has been happening each night when she gets off. When they were together she would call him while walking to her car. It is likely the same reason. But now they talk a little bit longer then the few minutes they used to. Am I over thinking this?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »

Hi Jk416,

I understand what you mean by everything changing based on mood and perception of reality. That can sum up how it feels to be with someone who is BPD, and it does take a lot of emotional strength to stay grounded when things aren't always as they seem.

It sounds like there are three of you in this relationship, and the sands are shifting in ways that make it hard to see the boundaries. She may feel like the third wheel at different times, then it shifts to you, then back to her.

It helps to look at actions and start there. She's still in his life, and he has tested the boundaries to see if this is tolerable. He may be doing the same with her, not out of spite or maliciousness, more because it increases his chance of having at least one person to emotionally buoy him if the other is not available.

I guess a good question to start is to figure out your boundary here. Is it ok if he continues to take care of her and talk on the phone? Telling him what he can and can't do in terms of talking to his ex fiance may just drive the behavior underground instead of getting him to comply. Most people don't respond well when they are asked to give up something or someone meaningful.

Breathe.
Jk416

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »

Yes, livednlearned, it is hard to see the boundaries. I take the blame for that. For a long time I was afraid to set any boundaries. I have been able to set a few, but am still very nervous about it. And I agree with you, I don't think his actions are malicious at all. He is trying to cover all his (emotional) bases because he feels that I will leave, which I have tried to do a few times already. So he has every right to feel that way.

I am ok with him continuing to talk to his ex, not so much with the "taking care of her." He is a creature of habit and I know it will take a while for him to transition out of that role.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »

I am ok with him continuing to talk to his ex, not so much with the "taking care of her." He is a creature of habit and I know it will take a while for him to transition out of that role.

Sometimes what we do is trade boundaries for x, whatever x might be (usually keeping the person in our lives). The delicate "saving" work is to get ourselves back to our boundaries using awareness of BPD and better communication skills.

He has a foot in both circles, yours and hers. This is ideal for him, and for you there is a shifting line that is going to be hard for all involved. It can get easy to put all of your efforts into finding and defending that line, putting you on the offensive and him on the defensive. This will have the effect of driving him into the arms of the other woman, and she will likely encourage this dynamic, even if she sees the relationship as "over."

I guess the question for you is whether you feel strong enough to be the breezy relationship partner in this triangle who sticks to your boundaries and holds yourself accountable for enforcing them, instead of focusing on what he does/does not do with her.

Breathe.
patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:57 AM »

What do you mean, LnL, by "breezy relationship partner who sticks to your boundaries and holds yourself accountable regardless of what he does?" The boundaries would pertain to what he does, right?
Jk416

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:35:22 PM »

I feel like any boundary involving her will only make him push the limits. The only thing I have been strong on is his interactions with her can't interfere with progressing our relationship, which at this time, him talking to his ex is not directly interfering. I have mentioned that it makes it harder for him to move on, but he says continuing to talk to her helps him move on.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest