Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 10:21:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: accepting  (Read 332 times)
mitchell16

« on: March 26, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »

ive been doing some thinking about what my part was in all the craziness. and for the life of me I cnat figure it out. When I met my exBPDgf Iw as finishing up witn my divorce. It was a smooth divorce and to this day wea re good friends. At first I was angry and hurt but with in a few weeks and months I came to accept my faults that led up to the divorce and I relized i played as much a role in at as much as my ex wife did. and I do relize that our dirvorce was for the better. I was good with that and like I said we are very good friends. Im on good terms with all my ex girl friends. sometimes the break ups were my fault and sometimes it was theirs, we parted ways a no hard feelings.

I cant say that or feel with my exBPDgf. even here at past the 6 month mark, Im resentful, angry and having a hard time still accepting it all and finding my own fault in it. The only thing I can figured out that I did wrong was keep going back. BUt n my defense I never sought her out, she always cmae back to me, apoligized for her behavior and made a valid excuse. with promises of it never happening again or getting therapy to work on her anger blah, blah blah.

I want to move on, i want to find peace in it all, but i still struggle. any ideas?
LettingGo14

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »

Im resentful, angry and having a hard time still accepting it all and finding my own fault in it. The only thing I can figured out that I did wrong was keep going back. BUt n my defense I never sought her out, she always cmae back to me, apoligized for her behavior and made a valid excuse. with promises of it never happening again or getting therapy to work on her anger blah, blah blah.

I want to move on, i want to find peace in it all, but i still struggle. any ideas?

Hello Mitchell.  Thank you for asking, because it allows me to step back and process similar feelings.  Here are some thoughts (about my situation, of course, but which may or may not help you):

1. I am trying to stop myself from finding "fault" or itemizing who did what "wrong" in my relationship with my uBPDxgf, which also occurred after divorce.   Instead, I'm trying to focus on why I was so enmeshed, willing to stay, willing to recycle numerous times, and then devastated when I was abandoned.

2. Reading about BPD has helped me release myself from failing to "fix" the relationship.  It also helps me release my ex, because no matter how much I might have wanted to "fix" things, I could not change her (i.e., only she could change herself).

3. I have focused on what triggered me, during and after the relationship.   I was triggered when I perceived (a) criticism, (b) invalidation, (c) rejection, (d) hatred, (e) blame, (f) shame, and (g) abandonment.   These things kept me hooked, enmeshed, and riding the crazy train.

4. At a number of points during my relationship, I could have stood up for myself.  I could have self-soothed.   I could have drawn boundaries.  I could have smiled and detached.   But, I did not -- mainly because I let my unconscious dictate my reactions in the relationship.   I *knew* when I was being manipulated, but because I wanted to badly to have a *good* and *successful* post-divorce relationship, I *worked* at self-improvement -- [but not really because I was letting her dictate it].

5. My reality is this:  my relationship with xBPDgf exposed my core issues.   In the aftermath, I have had to wrestle with (a) FOO issues, (b) raising my self-awareness, (c) raising my level of psychological differentiation, and (d) learning to accept and let go.   I am not assigning blame to myself -- it is what it is.  I'm hurting, I'm sad, I'm angry, I'm depressed, etc.  But, it's going to be my ticket to liberating my authentic self.   And that's the self I want.

Hope that gives you one perspective.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest