Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 06:40:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grieving mental illness in a loved one: holiday edition  (Read 525 times)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« on: December 21, 2023, 04:39:13 PM »

Holidays are tough.

It was about this time 8 years ago I began to suspect my stepdaughter had BPD. I can't put into words the grief I felt.

I used to walk my dog and cry. Some of the worst parts of my divorce from a BPD ex were cresting and I was trying to help our son heal from that abuse, while trying to make sense of BPD abuse in my own family of origin and how I jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.

To have yet another person in my life who had BPD was devastating.

This workshop on grieving mental illness in a loved one was a godsend at the time. 

A member from that time referred to disenfranchised grief. Meaning grief for someone who is alive but lost to us in one way or another.

Some of you may identify. It can take a puff of wind to be split black and find yourself no contact whether it's their choice or ours.

If this applies to you, you're not alone.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

How are you doing? How are you coping? What kind of contact are you in with your loved one, and how are you navigating the holidays with them? Any plans for how you'll take care of yourself?

Breathe.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Sasha77

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 12:02:24 PM »

Hello LivednLearned,
I appreciate your post, and had actually thought of doing a similar one before I read yours!
My 23 bpd DD went no contact with me in Oct. Previously she had done little stints of not talking to me, but this is the longest it has been and seems more "official." Naturally, I have been devastated, and the holidays feel so strange. She will occasionally respond to texts from my husband- her stepdad- but usually ignores them. DD is not in contact with any other family members either.
This year I put up a mini tree and decorated it (was glad I did), and will see other family members for the holidays. So, I am going about celebrating as best I can. (Not sure if my husband will reach out to her this week, as he is still debating.) A big part of me will be relieved when the holidays are over this year. Also, not sure how to respond when extended family members ask where she is this year... Luckily I have an excellent therapist who has helped me a lot. This forum helps too- knowing that I am not alone, and that everything that has taken place seems to be so typical for this illness. And...going to treat myself to a pedicure today!

How are you doing?? How are you handling the holidays? What are some things you are doing for yourself? Also, message me any time, as it sounds like we have some similar situations!
Take care,
Sasha
LotusS

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 08:26:42 PM »

Thank you for your post.
Yes during these past  6 months, grieving has definitely been my « theme ».. and I was trying to explain this to some friends (who do not have a bpd child.)
I did not know the term for it.. but my friend did tell me it is a real phenomena.
I am slowly returning to my buddhist practice.. to save myself. And find hope again.
Hugs to you all during these very difficult time of the year.
LotusS

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 08:28:25 PM »

Sasha77: I went to get my hair done yesterday.. and so I love that you went to get your nails done.  Love it! (click to insert in post)
Sasha77

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 09:07:21 PM »

Yay to self-care!
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 09:28:39 PM »

The main (likely not only) person in my life with BPD isn't a child, but it's my H's kids' mom, which means that we have kids in a BPD family dynamic -- just like everyone here on the Parents board.

The kids are always with us Christmas Eve and always with Mom on Christmas Day, so we had our holiday time yesterday. We do not have a coparenting situation where we can send Mom and Stepdad "Merry Christmas" texts or cards, or where we "get together for the kids' sakes." I think that is hard for the kids that H and I are essentially LC to almost NC with their mom and stepdad, but the more contact we are in the more conflict there is.

H and I had the day to ourselves today and for self care we went on a jog, made tacos for dinner, and watched a documentary about racing cars in Malaysia -- just enjoyed time with each other.

How has everyone here been taking care of themselves, whatever contact level they are at with loved ones?
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 11:36:11 AM »

Refusing to accept the scapegoating of myself and other family members, along with going NC with my NPD sister and the whole family knowing about it, has resulted in my having no family to spend holidays with, as I am not invited and if I were, I would not likely attend. The hurtful part is when so many family members who are flying monkeys contact me around different holidays and family events to find out if I am in town and what I am doing, so they can find ways to avoid me, or in one case, to try to get me to rent out my house so they would be assured I would not be attending the Celebration of Life of a relative. I ignore these emails and phone calls, or if I do respond to the emails I do not provide any personal information.
Thank you Livednlearned for asking. The holidays are a sad time for those of us who have no family to spend the holidays with or who go to holiday celebrations that are painful and distressing because of all the disordered family members acting out. The biggest joy I experienced on Christmas Day this year was asking my neighbor's grandchildren about their Christmas presents. These children come from a tight knit loving family, and it brings joy to my heart to be around these kinds of families.
I am so much happier overall since I went mostly NC/LC with nearly all of my FOO and my large extended family. I consider the losses I have suffered at the hands of my family life long losses which I grieve on a daily basis by meditating and getting into nature. These practices help me to stay present in the moment and to enjoy the small most meaningful things in life.
My heart goes out to all of you who have mentally ill family members who abuse others to avoid facing how badly they feel inside. Not all people with mental illness abuse others, AND there are some very fine people who have serious mental illness whom I have enormous respect for.

holdingontohope

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 11:51:42 AM »

For me, it was like there was an elephant in the room that my husband/sons/daughter in law pretended not to see. They have decided to go no contact with my BPD older son, until he shows some remorse for his actions towards me this past October (listed in another post of mine), and comes to us showing REAL change. Or at least WANTING real change. I feel that this is what must happen, also--no contact is the only way for us to have peace right now, sadly.  BUT, it still doesn't mean this mama's heart wasn't grieving on Christmas (and Thanksgiving) when one of us wasn't there (for the first time EVER).  One that only lives 20 minutes away.  But, then, I would think, how NICE it is to not have any DRAMA this Christmas--maybe the first time EVER?  Or as far back as I can remember?  It was emotionally draining with my thoughts going back and forth, trying to enjoy the moments with my little family that was together, but a part of me was sad for the "black sheep" that has gotten himself lost. 

I ended up getting a flu bug that one of my sons had just gotten over, and was sick on Christmas night and yesterday.  So, my self care was actually a LOT of sleep and rest, with a couple of bubble baths thrown in for good measure!  Maybe it was a "forced" self care situation, but it did stop my mind from thinking so much! ;)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 12:13:50 PM »

My 23 bpd DD went no contact with me in Oct. Previously she had done little stints of not talking to me, but this is the longest it has been and seems more "official." Naturally, I have been devastated, and the holidays feel so strange. She will occasionally respond to texts from my husband- her stepdad- but usually ignores them. DD is not in contact with any other family members either.

Sasha77, do you send texts to her? It's so hard to know what to do, isn't it? I was married to a man with BPD traits and he went no contact with his parents. I didn't realize at the time that many of the things he said about them weren't true. I know it meant a lot to him that they reached out, though.

It's great that you have a therapist you trust, that makes such a difference. I did an NEA-BPD Family Connections session years ago and losing contact with adult BPD children was common. Just knowing where they might be would've provided so much relief for many parents, even if there was no contact.

How are you doing?? How are you handling the holidays? What are some things you are doing for yourself?

I tend to manifest my grief somatically  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post) About a week before Christmas my back began to spasm. Even though our holidays are quiet this year with no guests, there is something about this time of year that shines light on how dysfunctional so many branches of my family are.

My parents are disordered in ways that I struggle to make sense of. I will never understand how they cannot ask how their grandson is doing (my S22) or send him a card, much less a gift. H sent them a text to say Merry Christmas and it was like they remembered oh right, LnL is one of our kids. So much of their energy goes into my uBPD sibling and his family. I seem to be one of those people who creates friendships that feel like family so there are plenty of people who call and text and vice versa, and my son feels loved by them. But holidays make me acutely aware of this accounting and I guess it creates the kind of stress that puts my back out  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

during these past  6 months, grieving has definitely been my « theme ».. and I was trying to explain this to some friends (who do not have a bpd child.) I did not know the term for it.. but my friend did tell me it is a real phenomena. I am slowly returning to my buddhist practice.. to save myself. And find hope again. Hugs to you all during these very difficult time of the year.

Having a BPD stepdaughter is what motivated me to develop a meditation practice. At first it felt like a rescue mission to help me cope with flooded emotions! Now I think of it as a way to touch earth at least once a day. SD26 visited this summer and I could tell it was helpful although I still had strong reactions that only she seems capable of triggering. Keep it up, that's what I tell myself!

H and I had the day to ourselves today and for self care we went on a jog, made tacos for dinner, and watched a documentary about racing cars in Malaysia -- just enjoyed time with each other.

This truly sounds amazing! In some ways diverging from regular holiday customs probably made it easier? I used to do less at the holidays, I think as a way to kind of shut down what was happening all around me, because to dive in might mean too much sadness that my family was shattered by BPD, both in my family of origin and then with my ex H, and now with my stepdaughter. But this board helped me stabilize things to some extent with SD26 and we are managing ok, and lately we are gravitating to traditions, including making some of our own, just me and H.

Refusing to accept the scapegoating of myself and other family members, along with going NC with my NPD sister and the whole family knowing about it, has resulted in my having no family to spend holidays with, as I am not invited and if I were, I would not likely attend

zachira, I'm so glad you posted. You've had so much courage and have taught me so much about the challenges of standing up to disordered family members and refusing to be abused by them. It is not an easy path to take, that is for sure.

The holidays are a sad time for those of us who have no family to spend the holidays with or who go to holiday celebrations that are painful and distressing because of all the disordered family members acting out.

I am amazed how hard it is to change this script -- my father's birthday falls before Christmas and he wanted us to drive up to celebrate. We are managing ok in our relationship at the moment but H pointed out my uBPD sibling would likely be joining us for the birthday dinner. Looking back, that's when my back started acting up  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

The biggest joy I experienced on Christmas Day this year was asking my neighbor's grandchildren about their Christmas presents. These children come from a tight knit loving family, and it brings joy to my heart to be around these kinds of families.

I love that you had this experience, experiencing something so sweet and joyful  With affection (click to insert in post)

I am so much happier overall since I went mostly NC/LC with nearly all of my FOO and my large extended family. I consider the losses I have suffered at the hands of my family life long losses which I grieve on a daily basis by meditating and getting into nature.

It's something I'm learning to accept too, that this is likely a lifelong grief that is part of me, and part of life. And the holidays have a tendency to concentrate those feelings.

H and I made the decision to do family things in the summer when it's easier to get outside and keep people busy. When we celebrate indoors during the winter with lots of people cooped up inside, that is a recipe for drama. What we are still working on is how to navigate the grief that we both have families who are difficult, people who can't seem to get together without code red drama.  

On the upside, my S22, who is autistic, told me he loves how quiet and peaceful our holidays are compared to friends. He's glad we don't travel, our home isn't noisy, and he doesn't have to wear uncomfortable clothing  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 12:28:57 PM »

it was like there was an elephant in the room that my husband/sons/daughter in law pretended not to see. They have decided to go no contact with my BPD older son, until he shows some remorse for his actions towards me this past October (listed in another post of mine), and comes to us showing REAL change.

Elephant in the room is such a good way to describe this feeling. I'm guessing if you brought up his absence, there would be a flood of emotion and perhaps some drama, and this is probably what your family wanted to NOT have? Was there no mention of him at all?

Excerpt
BUT, it still doesn't mean this mama's heart wasn't grieving on Christmas (and Thanksgiving) when one of us wasn't there (for the first time EVER). 

My heart aches for you, even if it's the right thing to be taking a break.

Excerpt
how NICE it is to not have any DRAMA this Christmas--maybe the first time EVER?  Or as far back as I can remember?  It was emotionally draining with my thoughts going back and forth, trying to enjoy the moments with my little family that was together, but a part of me was sad for the "black sheep" that has gotten himself lost.

I teared up reading this, holdingontohope. Grief can make it so hard to be present. We feel what's missing as though it was right there in front of us.

I ended up getting a flu bug that one of my sons had just gotten over, and was sick on Christmas night and yesterday.  So, my self care was actually a LOT of sleep and rest, with a couple of bubble baths thrown in for good measure!  Maybe it was a "forced" self care situation, but it did stop my mind from thinking so much! ;)

I hadn't thought of it this way until you said it, that getting sick and injured is a way for our bodies to insist on self care. I'm glad you took some bubble baths and got a lot of sleep.

How do you respond when people ask what you're doing for the holidays? I think that's always been the hardest for me. It's sort of rubbing salt in the wound on an annual basis. This year, I noticed I said "We spent summers with family when everyone can be outside and stay busy, and our holidays tend to be quiet, just the three of us." But of course, many families do both. I wish I could say to people: Please skip the holiday question, we're mostly focused on surviving this year  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest