Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 08:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how did you afford your divorce - and did you have a custody eval, psych, etc?  (Read 387 times)
momtara

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »

Hi.  I have been trying to keep my divorce from getting expensive, but we have 2 young kids and my husband has BPD and can behave erratically.  To get a psych eval and open a potential can of worms (and go bankrupt), or not?  Did you all deal with this?  How did you afford it?  I'm told it will run us $5-$10k
marbleloser

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

I'm still dealing with it.About $8k in and soon to be $10K,and I feel like I've accomplished very little actually.The only advice I can give is,you do what you can.Drop all unnecessary expenses,get loans,borrow from family,etc.,,

The way I look at it is that this is the fight of our life.My credit's going to take a huge hit.It bothers me tremendously,but in the overall picture it's our childrens lives and well-being at stake.Credit can be rebuilt.Loans repaid.But,we only have a small window of time in our childrens lives before they're grown.Do we want to be a positive influence to them,so that they grow to be good and honest people? If so,we have to fight for that right or take a chance in being pushed aside.

momtara

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

What has happened so far?  Are you dealing with custody and psych evals?
marbleloser

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »

It's been 6 months since she was served.The only thing done so far is she's been deposed,and filed a false contempt charge that her lawyer dismissed in the courtroom.Next month there is a medical expert deposition as well.We can't go before the judge until at least that is done,because he's only going to want to hear it once.
Forward2free

Relationship status: Divorced BPD/NPD/HPDxh

Kormilda

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »

You can make more money, you can't always repair emotional and physical damage.

Your kids need you to fight for them and I guess we all know deep down that it is that serious, or we wouldn't ever choose to be David against Golliath.
marbleloser

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »

A psych eval is expensive and if you ask for it,you pretty much pay for it,and you have to submit to one also.That's a last resort,but it's doable.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »

I am 2.5 years from date of separation, and have spent a little over $35K. About to go over that in the upcoming months -- I've filed for sole legal custody and expect the prep and hearing to be roughly $5K, so pretty soon I'll be at $40K. I figure it's cost me about $1300 a month since date of separation.

We have had mediation, depositions, two hearings, and have a parenting coordinator. We've had three different court orders. I've filed 6 motions, and N/BPDx has filed 4.

I paid extra (on top of the $40K) for a real estate attorney I needed to hire recently for help with the refinance.

N/BPDx paid for mediation. I paid for the deposition and transcription. We paid the cost of the parenting coordinator 25/75 according to our income differential.

We haven't had a custody evaluation, but N/BPDx had a psych eval and he paid for that.

My parents paid the original $5K retainer so that it wouldn't show on any accounts before I left N/BPDx. I've got $10K on credit cards and try to pay as much as I can each month. My L lets me pay in installments (with interest), but I did some refinancing with no interest credit card to try and avoid running up interest with my L. There have been some very lean months, especially in the beginning. Anything I can save goes to legal bills.

No one makes money during high conflict divorce except the Ls.

:'(

Breathe.
momtara

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »

Gosh, it's ridiculous.  Anyone else?  How are you affording this?
momtara

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »

AND how does your spouse afford it?

Maybe I"m lucky - mine only earns $40K.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »

AND how does your spouse afford it?

My ex is an attorney   

He used to have a family law attorney, but he withdrew. Now, N/BPDx is representing himself pro se. So it's costing him peanuts, while it's costing me thousands. My L said that we will ask for N/BPDx to reimburse me for legal costs, but apparently it is very hard to actually get a judge to order that.

Breathe.
Thunderstruck

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »

Ugh I wish I knew, my SO is one retainer into the custody process (they weren't married) and hasn't even gotten to mediation yet.  It's going to be a long expensive road.

"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so. But we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitos and silly people." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest