Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 03:16:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure if I've chosen the right stepfather for my child.  (Read 440 times)
unicorn2014

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: March 14, 2016, 02:50:53 AM »

My fiancé has BPD traits himself and with this latest crisis with my daughter (she ended up in the ER drunk after having gotten jumped at a party and beat up by two girls) I have begun to look at his "emotional support" (that's how he sells himself to me) with a critical eye.

Since the plan, or his plan, was to marry me, I'm looking at what kind of family this man would create with me, him and my daughter. I am still considering appointing him as a guardian of my daughter, in addition to me being her parent, so I don't have to relay every letter I get from the school regarding her however our relationship is long distance with no end of that in sight. I am starting to think about cutting my losses. I'm starting to question whether or not he is worth the emotional upset he causes. On the other hand I also know I play a part in it.

For those of you who are parenting a child who may have BPD traits and are single and dating, how do you evaluate whether or not someone would be a good addition to your family?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »

While I am widowed and not dating I can tell you that many of us parents did not have the full support of our partners in raising our children with BPD and traits of BPD.

It can range all the way from "you handle this, I'm done" to completely undermining educated parenting and efforts at treatment.

Parenting/raising a child with BPD/traits of BPD is a huge task, adding an unsupportive/undermining partner to the situation will add to your troubles.

That's my perspective.

Is your daughter ok?

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
unicorn2014

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:52:24 PM »

My partner is not unsupportive or undermining, that would be my ex. My partner is more challenging in the emotional stability department. Smiling (click to insert in post)

My daughter is safe at home but I'm not sure she learned anything from her recent "adventure". Psych assessment is tomorrow afternoon. She got discharged from the emergency room with depression, alcohol overdose, and facial contusions from being assaulted by two girls.

Between my dad, her dad, my brother and my fiancé, my fiancé definitely has the stones to get the job done ( parenting), I think its going to be incumbent upon me not to react to him. Even my own father can not handle my daughter, so there's definitely something going on there... .I would say it takes one to know one and if my fiancé can stay on track then he's definitely the best man for the job. Unfortunately that puts the onus on me to keep myself together so I don't set him off, but I think I can handle that, I hope. Smiling (click to insert in post)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »

I'm starting to question whether or not he is worth the emotional upset he causes.

What emotional upset is he causing? 

Focusing on self care, getting your daughter the help she needs and learning how to build a better relationship with your daughter is very important.

Is he supporting you in all of those endeavors?  How is he parenting your daughter from a long distance?

unicorn2014

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:11:38 PM »

He knows how to push my buttons but its up to me whether or not I want to respond. He does help me in all the endeavor you mentions. He talks to her on the phone and texts her. He helps work towards goals and solve problems. If I can restrain myself from responding to his provocations when he engages in them, whether they're intentional or not, then he is a very helpful and supportive partner.
Bright Day Mom

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »

I am sorry you are going through this rough patch and I commend you for questioning the appropriateness of your fiance within the family unit.  We too have a BPDD teen and are currently going through family sessions to assist us in communicating more effectively.  I have been reading non-stop (knowledge is power) and know it takes a strong village to raise a BPD child.  I've read this somewhere and it really resonated with me: "ask yourself is it more important to be right or effective" when in the midst of a heated conversation. 

Do you have a plan in place for the family sessions? If so, see if he is able to apply any of the teachings into the home.  Who knows, he may surprise you and make some positive changes.

You have nothing to lose by holding off on saying the I-do's until you have a comfort level he would be the kind, understanding man that would compliment your family. 
unicorn2014

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »

Thank you BD mom, my fiancé is still legally married to his wife and living out of state, so its going to be a while. My daughter also doesn't have a diagnosis yet besides being discharged from the emergency room with depression and alcohol overdose. I'm dealing with the alcoholism part within my community, I'm hoping the psychologist will deal with the depression part. She did just sign a treatment plan for a year of therapy yesterday so that's a win!
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:39:57 PM »

That is a win!  Is this like an enforceable contract between your d and  her therapist?

unicorn2014

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »

Her new therapist said she could back out at any time. It's her first therapist. She didn't have a diagnosis. The ER diagnosed her with depression. That's where we're at.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest