Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 08:20:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morning Anxiety? - PTSD?  (Read 366 times)
Hope0807

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing & Living Apart

« on: December 07, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »

I have suffered from depression but never anxiety…until after this fallout many months ago.  I have since learned that much of what I've been experiencing is attributed to PTSD.  I'm doing the work, I'm healing, I'm trying.  I keep putting one foot in front of the other.  However…

I cannot shake the anxiety that sweeps over me before I even wake up.  I try listening to soothing sounds as I drift off to sleep.  I try to keep my sleep schedule regular.  Oftentimes I'll read something that isn't emotionally charged.  Even on the days I don't linger in bed, the anxiety is already is full motion before I start peeling the covers away…heart racing, thoughts running like wildfire.  I'll even walk my dog at a fast pace to try and burn off some of the anxiety but that doesn't work either.  I really don't want to go on meds, but I'm not sure what else to do.  It's a pretty incredible experience and I wind up feeling exhausted before I even get out of bed because of a mental/psychological workout I didn't welcome.

Any suggestions for this morning anxiety I can't seem to get rid of?
Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »

Hope, your cortisol levels are highest before you wake up (when things are working properly) as this is what helps you wake up and start the day.  Maybe this could be contributing to your anxiety upon waking.  Also, you could have low blood sugar when you first wake up which could also be causing anxiety.  Do you ever feel woozy in the morning?  Or nauseous?  You could try keeping some crackers or something at your bedside and try eating a little before you get up.  I'd also recommend some simple yoga stretches rather than the brisk walk as the deep breathing and mindfulness might reduce your anxiety some.  It works for me.  Dealing with chronic anxiety as well, I know how frustrating it can be! 
Hope0807

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

Hmm, I am hypoglycemic and never considered my cortisol levels in the morning.  Thanks so much for that!  I did have morning nausea issues in the past but that subsided and this anxiety is directly correlated to this fallout timing.  :)o you feel the higher cortisol levels combined with my increased stress level is all just totally connected and spiking in the morning?  Cortisol is after all a stress hormone, right?

Hope, your cortisol levels are highest before you wake up (when things are working properly) as this is what helps you wake up and start the day.  Maybe this could be contributing to your anxiety upon waking.  Also, you could have low blood sugar when you first wake up which could also be causing anxiety.  :)o you ever feel woozy in the morning?  Or nauseous?  You could try keeping some crackers or something at your bedside and try eating a little before you get up.  I'd also recommend some simple yoga stretches rather than the brisk walk as the deep breathing and mindfulness might reduce your anxiety some.  It works for me.  :)ealing with chronic anxiety as well, I know how frustrating it can be!  

Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »

Well it could be a combination of all these things.  You can get your doctor to check your cortisol levels and blood sugar.  I hadn't thought of it before but sometimes I get insomnia where I wake up in the night and I get a fluttery feeling like I've been scared by something.  Never thought about it maybe being low blood sugar.  And often if I've drank alcohol the evening before which is notorious for lowering blood sugar.  I've been having hyper arousal reactions to triggers also but throughout the day, no specific timing.  Have you tried journaling when you wake up?  Might be something to try. 
Hope0807

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  That explains why I feel so sick after I drink.  I don't drink much or often, but if it's lowering my blood sugar that explains a lot.  Probably won't be able to journal in the morning, I'm in too much of a rush.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm definitely going to put them all into motion.

Well it could be a combination of all these things.  You can get your doctor to check your cortisol levels and blood sugar.  I hadn't thought of it before but sometimes I get insomnia where I wake up in the night and I get a fluttery feeling like I've been scared by something.  Never thought about it maybe being low blood sugar.  And often if I've drank alcohol the evening before which is notorious for lowering blood sugar.  I've been having hyper arousal reactions to triggers also but throughout the day, no specific timing.  Have you tried journaling when you wake up?  Might be something to try. 

billypilgrim

Relationship status: Separated since 10/2014. Divorce will be finalized 10/2015.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »

Hope - I've been going through similar morning issues.  I don't know if it's anxiety or just the way my body is coping.  I wretch just about every morning.  It usually takes 1-2 hours after waking before my stomach is settled.  I've also noticed that throughout the day the slightest hint of emotional uneasiness sends my stomach into a frenzy.  This coming from a guy who has never had stomach issues like this before.  I also find that my stomach is usually in rougher shape after dreaming about her (which I do all too often).  I asked my T what I should do about these things - she seems to think that this is my body's way of figuring things out.  Wasn't what I wanted hear but if it's still an issue further down the road, we will look into doing a little more about it.  I'm sick of feeling this way, no pun intended.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest