Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 04, 2024, 03:35:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can they do this?  (Read 395 times)
lovesjazz

« on: August 04, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »

Our BPDs26 is divorced and has a 3 year old. In the divorce agreement he got visitation for his little girl.  That was over a year ago. He has sent pics, a phone video, etc.  His ex wants to take him to court to relinquish parental rights to his daughter. He has erratic behavior, but he hasnt hurt his daughter. Because of his inability to hold ajob he is behind in support payments. I know he is irresponsible , butcan they deny him seding his daughter because of his illness? Hes falling apart over this and so am I.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
mamachelle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

lovesjazz,

I don't know all the details so I don't want to speak for all situations-- but just because he has BPD and behind on his support payments there appears no valid reason to relinquish his parental rights. My exH has BPD. DCFS found that he abused our daughter. I was trying for supervised visitation when he fled the scene. Even if your BPDS26' ex has Sole Custody he still gets visitation.

I am not sure what his ex is doing or why she is saying this but it sounds fishy and sounds like an empty threat to me. Talk to an attorney. I wonder if his ex has some serious issues of her own. 

mamachelle
six

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »

not sure if you are in USA, but generally being behind in support payments would not affect a parent's ability to have visitation.  the court will generally only terminate parental rights upon a showing of abuse.  this would have to be documented by psychologist that it is not in best interest of child to continue relationship with parent.   courts generally decide this way only in very extreme circumstances.
mamachelle

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »

Oh- forgot to mention BPDexH owes over $20K in child support for DD13 and 16 now ... . and that is not counting his half of medical, child care, et al. The two issues of support and visitation are seen as pretty much mutually exclusive and if the courts went around forcing parents to give up their rights then how would they be able to get child support from the parent that has no rights since he is no longer a parent?

Basically the courts want 2 parents supporting the child so the state does not have to support the children.

lovesjazz

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »

Thank you for your replies.  The ex parents I believe are behind this and have money. Our BPDs lies so much so we dont know what is going on.
mamachelle

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »

Hey lovesjazz,

Ok. That can make things more complicated. It's hard to respond to this kind of thing when it is being filtered through someone who does lie.

Have you seen this:

What is the story on "Grandparents' Rights?

If it were me, I would pay attention and remain involved. There are things that can be done like false DV accusations to make things more complicated.

How old is you GD? How often does he have visitation? How far behind is he on child support?

I also would recommend posting on the Legal Board to get more targeted help.

mamachelle

Suzn
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »

I live in the US. In my state visitation and support are separate issues. The courts here want a child to have access to both parents, this can be damaging to a child psychologically if it is not allowed. (Unless there is abuse of course) So it doesn't matter if someone is behind on child support, they still get to see their child. Although, here you can go to jail if support isn't kept up however it has to be seriously behind before that happens and it isn't long term jail time. They usually take tax refunds first.  

“Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others.” ~Jacob M. Braude
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest