Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 07, 2024, 07:42:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did your ex like Star Trek?  (Read 374 times)
joeramabeme

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: In process of divorcing

« on: November 30, 2015, 10:37:46 AM »

Ya, I know this is reaching a little bit but. . . .   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

She loved star trek and I think could relate to the almost test-tube like characterizations of emotional situations and feelings.  The show depicts emotions being recognized, acknowledged as human, dealt with and then bottled up to never be mentioned again in any future episodes.  The characters never change or grow and are always depicted as having some form of content stoicism with the philosophical constructs of humanism.  I bet it was a construct that made her feel ok on the inside... .

One of her favorite lines in the show that she always used on me is:

"You will be assimilated"

You can't make this stuff up!
blackbirdsong

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:18 AM »

My GF loved Star Wars. Really loved. Especially Darth Vader - she had a lot of fan items with this character.

She always talked about her father with great respect, so I recently bumped into an article (cannot find a URL link now) that people who adore Star Wars have daddy issues Smiling (click to insert in post)

Also:

Anakin Skywalker's eventual transformation into Darth Vader might have more to do with psychological issues than the Force, researchers hint.

The tragic hero of the "Star Wars" prequels displays patterns of instability and impulsivity in the second and third films that make him an obvious candidate for borderline personality disorder (BPD), according to French psychiatrists and psychologists.

The researchers also suspect the traits exhibited by Skywalker might make him more appealing and relatable to teen fans, given that teens may also display certain characteristics of borderline personality disorder.
Lonely_Astro

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 02:41:48 AM »

Nope.  Mine didn't like any type of SciFi movies/shows.  She thought that genre was dumb because she never could understand what they were talking about, yet she loves Sweet Home Alabama, Nicholas Sparks books/films, and Magic Mike.

Needless to say, we had very little in common in books, movies, and music.  In fact, we had very little in common in general.
Polis_Ohio

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:27:39 AM »

I love Star Trek but I disagree that the show suggests to bottle up emotions; quite the opposite actually. The show promotes dealing with emotions and separating those from your duties. I am assuming you are discussing Next Generation since you mentioned the Borg's tagline. There is a continuing struggle with Data to attempt to feel emotions as an android.

Even Picard shows emotion when he is in private quarters. Stoicism is important to the cohesion of the crew but off-duty there are plenty of emotional expression and struggle. Heck, Worf even changes over the show to be more sensitive.

I think you're reaching pretty far; my ex also like Star Trek, not as much as I do, but the ideology behind the Federation interested both of us. I see a tenuous connection to BPD traits at best.
Schermarhorn
formerly nonya24

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:12:58 PM »

Mine loved anything marvel. Especially the Avengers.

Captain America was her favorite.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest