Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 09:10:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so hard to know if I'm making the right decision, am I stubborn?  (Read 361 times)
campbembpd

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: February 04, 2024, 04:39:46 PM »

I feel like this is becoming a weekly thing now. My uBPDw and I are good for a week then something happens.

We're just in this cycle and she keeps circling that I'm not giving her what she needs. She does feel loved and I'm putting myself and my therapist above her.

The latest is she is elevated starting last night to today. She's had a few escalations of yelling she hates me to asking what we're doing because I don't love her. She wanted to make a pros and cons list of separating. And she just sent me an article "6 signs it's time to end your relationship"

First - am I sane or not? I think I posted this last week but quick recap:
  • 17d is going on a camping trip with 4-5 families. All from church, including her BF's family - there will be a girls tent and lots of parental supervision but we don't know most of the families
  • wife texted the mother of 17d's BF to meet up after church last week. They had to stay late because we had a bible study class
  • the mom texted my wife at the time we were meeting, asked where she could find us
  • my wife didn't respond and about 15 minutes later, not hearing anything the mom texted my wife she had to work that night and needed to get going to take a nap. We were 10-15 minutes later then we were supposed to get out of the study but she didn't know that
  • My wife thinks she was dismissed and discarded by this woman

Since then wife has been mad at me for not being mad and saying how horrible this woman treated my wife. I wasn't willing to say that. I said she could have waited a few more minutes but she didn't know where we were. So now we've gone around and around, thought it was actually resolved a week ago but my wife was triggered by something yesterday and it came back to the top. Now she's mad that the other mom hasn't reached back out to set something up (keep in mind this was my wife's request at the beginning). At the time when it happened I simply said let's try for next week. Now my wife won't text her.

Am I crazy? Was this woman being rude and discarding my wife. It didn't seem like a big deal to me.

My wife literally said I should be feeling what she's feeling if I care about her. That therapy is ruining us. She wanted me to say I would give up therapy for our marriage (but said she wouldn't actually make me stop, just wants to know I would). She said I'm putting my needs first by not supporting her (agreeing and mirroring her emotions and reactions). She says I'm a robot, don't make her feel loved, etc. Threatened that EVERYONE will know why we split up that I'm not supporting her, I'm continuing in therapy and not putting her first. I tried to explain that I'm learning about me and how to put on my oxygen mask so I can be the best for her and the family. She wants it to go back to how it was 10 years ago. That's when I didn't say anything about anything. I made almost double the income so she could be wined and dined... She overly talks about how much more I used to love her - I still do, so much... sometimes it would be so much easier to not.

Now again threatening divorce, wanting to put a 6 month time limit on our marriage. Oh and she says everyone she talks to says I'm being unreasonable and this woman was horrible. They all don't understand why I'm not supporting her. So again, am I crazy? But... I know how she weaves her stories and I doubt it was told objectively if she did tell others. 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 05:50:01 AM »

It can be very confusing to listen to my BPD mother's ideas. I think it does make us question our own reality. BPD mother's style of communicating isn't conversational- it's more lecture style about how she perceives things. If she has an opinion - she repeats it a lot. This opinion seems to be based on something she has heard or read- or something someone said to her and then she adopts it.

I also think it's common for married people to spend time with each other and formulate similar opinions but they are still two individual people who also can have different opinions. I think with BPD, there's a blurring of the boundaries, enmeshement. My BPD mother's opinions prevailed- there's no disagreeing with her.

Also for someone with BPD, feelings are facts. Whether or not this other parent dissed your wife - your wife feels that way- so it must be true for her.

But as you said- there could be other reasons. When this mother texted your wife and she didn't respond, it might be that this mother felt stood up. Or she just had to get to work on time and needed to leave. We can't read minds- there's no way to know what this other mother was thinking.

In Karpman triangle dynamics, your wife is now "victim"- that woman is the persecutor and you are expected to rescue your wife by agreeing with her that this woman treated her terribly. But you don't agree- and this is because it's not that big a deal IMHO- there was a mixup about when to meet and she had to leave for work.

As to the church camping trip, the boundaries are about your values- your home, your rules. Same for the church trip- I would expect a church to have these rules for teens on a trip- supervision and separate sleeping arrangements for the boys and girls.

You are doing your job of setting the example of your values for your D. I don't think this is a "right or wrong" situation between you and your wife. I think you each have different comfort levels about your D on this trip. You feel she is mature enough to manage her own boundaries on the trip and your wife is less comfortable with that.

campbembpd

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 09:23:56 AM »

For others - what's the line where one should 'give in' to make a spouse feel supported or stick to your guns until the end? I struggle with not having that clear sense of self so it's hard for me to gauge - should I maintain what I feel or is it okay to 'give in' because I know that's what she wants and it might give peace, even for a short time.

I know that's been the crazy making rule - I give in or else. And I've been doing it a long time. She even said this morning that I've given into her for 25 years and that's the husband she knows, the husband she misses. So on one hand it seems reasonable that I have my own feelings about things but I also know sometimes there is give and take. But I don't like the idea of folding just because she's mad, in particular over-reacting. And my rational mind also knows that this is going to keep going and going and going. Even if I give into everything my rational brain knows it's not like things will all be better. But if I don't give in then it feels like living in hell.

It sounds so distorted when she talks about things. Its like she thinks things were so great a year ago or 2 years ago, she keeps saying she wants things to be how they used to be. She goes back to the time 10-15 years ago now where I was earning double compared to now and I did cower and give in usually immediately when she got angry. All I did for many of those years was apologize, cry, tell her she was right, always. I was certain I was doing terrible things to cause her to get upset/angry/etc.

She's pushing me to stop therapy and my work on codependency. Keeps saying it's therapy that's ruining us. Last night and this morning she talked about how great things were before we started therapy almost 18 months ago. That we didn't have problems like this, we never fought like this, and especially to this degree. I will agree it's gotten more and more intense over time, but it was doing that before therapy... First she says things got worse after I started working on codependency a couple months ago. That she never got to this point (rage, temper, anger or saying she hates me) before I started 'putting myself first'. I brought up that there were still big arguments happening long before that. With examples. Then she switched to how much worse it's gotten since therapy. How therapy is ruining us. And there have been some bad fights, maybe some of the worst since therapy started. But I brought up examples again and talked about fights years ago and how she sent me texts saying she hated me starting 3 years ago.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 10:24:22 AM »

Hi campbembpd,

Notwendy raises an important point here:

for someone with BPD, feelings are facts. Whether or not this other parent dissed your wife - your wife feels that way- so it must be true for her.

This is important to keep in mind as you try to find a new approach.

The issue for your W isn't "what actually happened" -- even though the way she talks about it makes it sounds like the issue is "the facts of the incident".

The issue for your W is how she is feeling inside. And, like every human being, she would like the way that she feels to be heard and understood.

This gives you a middle way. The options aren't just "stand my ground and tell her she got it wrong" or "roll over for her so we get a moment of peace." That's "all or nothing" thinking which is a cognitive distortion that we need to recognize in ourselves.

One helpful image I learned through reading here is that we sometimes picture the two options as two ends of a line. One end goes off this way, the other goes off 180 degrees that way. This or that -- no other options.

Actually, there is a third option, that isn't more "hard nose" or more "pushover." Imagine a line going perpendicular to that line -- off 90 degrees to the side. It isn't more one direction or the other. It's a third direction.

That option is emotional validation.

If your W has BPD traits and behaviors, then she is coping with a mental illness that impacts her ability to think, process, understand, and correlate cause and effect. She has disordered thinking. So, she will struggle to identify that her feelings come from inside of herself (not from other people or external causes), and when she tries to come up with "reasons" for her feelings (we all want our feelings to make sense), the "reasons" will be disordered. And, she may not have the insight to know that when she communicates her constructed "reasons/facts" for her feelings, that those explanations won't make sense to other people. She may then escalate her efforts to "be understood" without knowing that those escalations aren't helping.

When she can have an experience where the feelings (not the "reasons" or "facts") behind her words are acknowledged, she may feel more understood and less driven to escalate for engagement/agreement.

So, let's find where you can practice emotional validation here:

I think I posted this last week but quick recap:
  • 17d is going on a camping trip with 4-5 families. All from church, including her BF's family - there will be a girls tent and lots of parental supervision but we don't know most of the families
  • wife texted the mother of 17d's BF to meet up after church last week. They had to stay late because we had a bible study class
  • the mom texted my wife at the time we were meeting, asked where she could find us
  • my wife didn't respond and about 15 minutes later, not hearing anything the mom texted my wife she had to work that night and needed to get going to take a nap. We were 10-15 minutes later then we were supposed to get out of the study but she didn't know that
  • My wife thinks she was dismissed and discarded by this woman

Since then wife has been mad at me for not being mad and saying how horrible this woman treated my wife. I wasn't willing to say that. I said she could have waited a few more minutes but she didn't know where we were. So now we've gone around and around, thought it was actually resolved a week ago but my wife was triggered by something yesterday and it came back to the top. Now she's mad that the other mom hasn't reached back out to set something up (keep in mind this was my wife's request at the beginning). At the time when it happened I simply said let's try for next week. Now my wife won't text her.

Am I crazy? Was this woman being rude and discarding my wife. It didn't seem like a big deal to me.

My wife literally said I should be feeling what she's feeling if I care about her. That therapy is ruining us. She wanted me to say I would give up therapy for our marriage (but said she wouldn't actually make me stop, just wants to know I would). She said I'm putting my needs first by not supporting her (agreeing and mirroring her emotions and reactions). She says I'm a robot, don't make her feel loved, etc. Threatened that EVERYONE will know why we split up that I'm not supporting her, I'm continuing in therapy and not putting her first. I tried to explain that I'm learning about me and how to put on my oxygen mask so I can be the best for her and the family. She wants it to go back to how it was 10 years ago. That's when I didn't say anything about anything. I made almost double the income so she could be wined and dined... She overly talks about how much more I used to love her - I still do, so much... sometimes it would be so much easier to not.

Now again threatening divorce, wanting to put a 6 month time limit on our marriage. Oh and she says everyone she talks to says I'm being unreasonable and this woman was horrible. They all don't understand why I'm not supporting her. So again, am I crazy? But... I know how she weaves her stories and I doubt it was told objectively if she did tell others. 

OK. It isn't crazy to rationally look at the situation, like Notwendy suggested, and see that while it'd be annoying, we aren't mindreaders and who knows what the other woman was thinking.

The key part of your interaction with your W won't be about "what happened" or "what the other woman meant". It's about you finding the feelings behind your W's words and genuinely validating those feelings.

And we get a clue here:

I agree that you don't have to agree with your W's reasoning for what happened. That is fine.

What you can do instead is validate:

"It would feel horrible to feel like you were treated that way". Or, "Wow, that would be so painful." Or, "Nobody wants to be stood up." Or, "It would hurt to feel unimportant".

None of those are agreeing with "the facts". They are all acknowledging and validating that even with irrational "reasons", your W has real feelings, and when those feelings don't get heard and cared about, she escalates.

Real validation like that isn't necessarily an intuitive skill; it can take practice to have it feel more instinctive. It can make a huge difference in "turning down the temperature" and ending endless conflict. We know that feels -- we want so much to be heard and understood that we, too, can escalate (in different ways) when we aren't. Finding safe ways to connect can decrease conflict in a relationship.

Of course, if you find that even after you try to connect through validation, your W has already "launched the plane" as it were, you don't have to stick around for the escalation/yelling/shouting. It is OK for you to say "I'm heading to the kitchen/going on a walk/running to the store, be back in a few". That would be a boundary -- that you don't participate in making yourself available to be yelled at. Validation is to connect, boundaries are to protect. They work together.

This is a lot so I'll wrap it up here. I think the key part is realizing that emotional validation (not "validating everything she says", or "rolling over", or apologizing, or trying to be positive, etc, which are not real validation) has the potential to be a huge factor in improving your relationship.

What are your thoughts? What seems do-able? See any potential conflicts coming up, that we could walk thru with you?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 10:26:08 AM by kells76 » Logged
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 06:05:47 PM »

Hi campbembpd,

I totally get it. My wife feels like she’s been treated horrendously by so many people she’s trying to make friends with. And I’m just like (thinking), that’s WHY they don’t want to be your friend, maybe you should just chill out a little!! But I don’t say that, I usually try to validate her feelings followed by standing up for the latest victim a little. Of course this sometimes goes down horribly. I’m trying to help preserve a new friendship and help my wife trust a new person. But she just sees it that I always take other people’s sides. Still the biggest validation skill I’ve learnt is just to stay silent in support of whatever she’s going on about. This tends to calm her a bit, rather than what I used to do which was jump in to defend the poor friend immediately. I just struggle to see her sabotage yet another good friendship so I do try to help her see that not everyone’s as evil as she thinks, but I know my influence is limited.

I continue to have the same problem where I’ve pretty much quit caretaking but she misses the old me that was always trying to please her above all else, and so she no longer feels loved or supported. Sending an article of why your relationship is over is exactly something my wife would do and has done similar in the past.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
Notwendy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 04:51:03 AM »

I think this comes down to boundaries- knowing what is true about you and what isn't. We can't change what someone else thinks. One aspect of boundaries is- if someone says something about us, we consider- is this true or not. If it's not- then we don't accept it as true.

It helped me to use something absurd as an example- I chose "pink elephant". If your wife told you that you were a pink elephant- would you consider that possibility? Would you be concerned? No- because you are absolutely certain that you are not one and you know that her saying you are won't make it true.

Her statements about you don't sound as absurd but they could be just as untrue. She can say "things were better 2 years ago" but you know they were not.

I think what you are asking is- do you give in to the untrue- just to keep the peace, or do you not? I think Kells' point about validating the feelings but not her version of "facts" is an in between. She might feel that things were better before- when you point out otherwise, she feels hurt and invalidated. On the other hand, you don't want to be validating the invalid. It makes you feel like you are denying your own reality.

This is the crazy making aspect of "borderline" because they can sound reasonable and still have distorted thinking. Someone who is detached from reality usually sounds like it. We can see more clearly that they have a mental illness and need help- what they say doesn't seem personal to us.

My father chose to just give in to my BPD mother's wishes. I can understand why he did it, but it also enabled her and reinforced her behavior. I think what you are doing- working on co-dependency is a better choice as it doesn't enable the pattern and there's a chance for change. However, it's not comfortable for her or you at the moment.

We can't change another person but we can change ourselves. The two of you have been in a mutually reinforcing pattern. When you give in to her, this soothes her feelings but it also manages your own distress at her distress. When you change your behavior, becoming less co-dependent- this is a change in a pattern that you both were familiar with and which served to soothe feelings- but it also was being co-dependent and that isn't what you want to persist.

The first response is to try to get you back in that pattern and that makes sense- it's what worked before- but it's not working now. If you allow her the space to deal with her own feelings- there's a chance she may learn to cope better. If you keep giving in- she won't have that chance. On your part, your task is to manage your feelings about her discomfort.

campbembpd

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 08:53:45 AM »

Thanks for all the good advice.

I will keep working on those responses to validate her feelings. There are some new phrases for me to try. I do struggle but will keep trying it. The struggle is it seems no matter what I try I get pushed to jump on her bandwagon and really feel what she's feeling and nothing else is acceptable. According to her I should be angry and calling the person names, etc. i.e. She has been in a rage at our daughter in the past and expected me to yell, swear and talk down to her. I would not do so and that = not supporting and the rage turned on me (better me then my daughter though).

kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 12:45:42 PM »

The struggle is it seems no matter what I try I get pushed to jump on her bandwagon and really feel what she's feeling and nothing else is acceptable. According to her I should be angry and calling the person names, etc. i.e. She has been in a rage at our daughter in the past and expected me to yell, swear and talk down to her.

If, after you see if you can connect via validating her feelings, she still seems to be dysregulating -- or doing anything that you have decided for yourself you do not want in your life -- don't stick around trying to keep validating. It's not the one tool to "fix" everything.

If you've decided for yourself that demands to feel what someone else is feeling aren't OK with you -- then that's your cue to also use boundaries: "D17 and going to the grocery store, be back in a bit". You don't have to explain to your W "Now I am using a boundary". Just do it.

I would not do so and that = not supporting and the rage turned on me (better me then my daughter though).

You may need to take your D17 with you when Mom rages. Does she have a friend's house where she could go and do homework, for example?

It's not necessarily better for W to rage at you when D is around. That teaches D that it's OK to be in a marriage where one spouse rages at another. I know that's not what you want for your child.

I'd recommend trying to find ways for you and D to exit the situation together. Grocery shopping, going to the library, you dropping D off at a friend's house, etc.

None of this will be easy, especially at first. Your W may not like it -- but she doesn't have to like your boundaries for them to be good boundaries.

When things are calmer between you two, you can connect via validation to try to maintain or improve the relationship. When things escalate, protect yourself and your D via boundaries.

I wonder if you can talk with your D ahead of time about ways for you to help her exit when there is rage at home?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 12:46:10 PM by kells76 » Logged
Notwendy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 03:44:08 PM »

Thanks for all the good advice.

She has been in a rage at our daughter in the past and expected me to yell, swear and talk down to her. I would not do so and that = not supporting and the rage turned on me (better me then my daughter though).

This is verbal abuse. This isn't the same as momentary anger. We, as parents, have our moments with our kids and we may get angry and frustrated but still we hold on to enough love for them to not verbally abuse them.

My BPD mother is verbally and emotionally abusive. It was difficult enough to hear this from her but - I didn't expect it from Dad. He was the one I considered to be "normal" and I was more attached to him emotionally. But there were times he would go along with BPD mother. I know now that he was probably put up to it to the point where he just gave in to get a moment of peace but at whose expense?

It may appease your wife if you verbally abuse your daughter but at the cost of her security in your relationship with her.

It was harder to hear this from Dad. I know why he said it cognitively and I forgive him, but emotionally- words said are heard by your daughter and have an emotional impact whether or not you mean them.

What your daughter needs to believe in you is that you love her unconditonally and she's precious to you and she needs to know you won't say hurtful things like you. She can't have that security with your wife. This makes it even more important that she has that with you.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest