Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 07:29:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some potentially helpful information, from a child of a NPD/BPD couple  (Read 588 times)
tryintogetby

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married to a wonderful man who loves me the way I am. (gasp!)

« on: July 06, 2016, 06:29:20 AM »

Hello everyone.  I spent the majority of my time here on the "children of" board, but after getting some new info, I wanted to share this with you all.

This forum was my lifeline for many years. <3 I now have four kids, am still happily married, and am the daughter of a NPD/BPD couple. (Yes, those of us who grew up in that environement can survive, learn healthy relationship patterns, and recover, despite the   PD traits )    

For the last four years, I've been working specifically on the ADHD issues in my family, because myself, my husband, and two of my four kids have been officially diagnosed.  ADHD is *really, really, REALLY* mis-represented in the media, so I had no idea how badly it was affecting our family and relationships.  I made contact with an ADHD author who's book actually saved our marriage, and made some interesting discoveries about how **untreated** ADHD can be related to both BPD and NPD.  Seriously.

Here's an article I wrote on her website about the changes that ADHD treatment made in my family, when I was worried that my own daughter was also showing narcissistic tendencies. (Gosh, can you imagine how triggering this was for me? Seeing my daughter become a little reflection of my NPD dad? It was horrifying.) www.adhdrollercoaster.org/adhd-and-relationships/was-i-raising-a-narcissist/

I also wrote the "book club" series on the same blog.

I came back to share this with you all here, because there is some research to show that BPD **can be** (isn't always! but can be!) a result of untreated ADHD + trauma. Girls and women w/ ADHD also go un-treated more often.  I don't remember seeing anyone here post about stimulant medication trials with BPD/NPD family members, so I just had to share this.  You guys were my life-line, and I don't know if I could have made it through my own PTSD issues without your help, so I had to come back and tell you all that there may be hope either 1) for your BPD, or 2) to KEEP from passing BPD to yourself or your own kids, if you recognize ADHD early, and get proper treatment.  The patient will be much more equipped to HANDLE trauma, and may not develop a personality disorder.  love

ALSO, on another note:  I met a woman who's daughter was diagnosed with BPD, but a smart neurologist saw *something* (I don't know what!) and ordered a 24-hour sleep study.  It turned out the BPD daughter was having mini-strokes, less than 2 seconds long, every minute.  Once meds were started for the strokes, the BPD symptoms disappeared.  shocked

I'M STILL NO-CONTACT WITH MY PARENTS.  They "don't believe" in ADHD, and don't think there's anything wrong with them.  However, I may have stopped the cycle in my own kids.

Let me know what you think.
Sincerely,
TTGB, or "Taylor J"
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »

Hello tryintogetby

Many thanks for sharing your journey and learning, very helpful indeed. My 27yr daughter, a high achiever through school and university was diagnosed BPD last year, there are a couple of ADHD elements I see may correspond to BPD and you have prompted me to reflect. My daughter is an adult, I'm not party to her medical progress, less she share with me, which she does at times - it's not a joined up conversation, like many here I'm doing my very best. Daughter is in DBT and working hard. As you say, let's explore wider, keep our minds open.

I'm sorry your parents are stuck in their world ... .and hope in time there is change  to embrace. As a mother, I congratulate you on your personal journey and family achievements. You are doing brilliantly, you shine!

I'll continue to reflect on your wonderful post for some time. Thx.

WDx 

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest