Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 08, 2024, 09:22:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A miracle might be in the works  (Read 572 times)
Googie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: engaged for 9 years with no plans of tying the knot any time soon

« on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »

Hi everyone!

I just finished up with my daughter's treatment team.  It seems as though she is doing better and is more willing to participate in group and individual therapy.  She also has been using her coping skills when chaos erupts on her unit compared to jumping into the middle of the chaos which is what she did almost every day last week.  Her meds have been changed but just little.  They added 20 mg of Paxil and she says that she can already feel more relaxed and her thoughts have settled down to where she can actually think and remember what is going through her mind.  She said she is not as anxious and that she is feeling a lot better about her appearance.  She said that she is avoiding the negativity because when she is around another adolescent that is acting out, she begins to feel the physical effects of the anxiety/panic and she wants to avoid that sensation after experiencing it 24 hours a day for the last few months.  She is writing in her journal and following her daily/weekly goals.  She says she is very happy to have her meds changed and that it's a good thing that she was admitted if for that reason only.

I believe her. 

I hope she is genuinely experiencing all of these positive changes and will be able to associate taking responsibility for the choices she makes, maintain her medication (even though I know that the staff does this for her), seek out positive people, find the things in life that make her happy or at least do everything she can to stay away from people, places, and things that bring negativity and stress into her world (as well as ours).

In addition to hearing that she is feeling a lot better and is acknowledging that she needed to be hospitalized; I got a call from the one and only RTC in the state of NC that provides DBT and actually acknowledges BPD in adolescents.  I had made quite a few calls and researched quite a few facilities online throughout the day yesterday.  Many of the centers were full or did not take medicaid.  I am not in a position to be able to borrow (from anyone or anywhere), mortgage my home, or finance the expense of a treatment facility.  I know I am not alone in my financial position and am in good company.  This particular facility accepts medicaid and has a very good reputation which makes it hard to get in.  The wait time has been at times up to nine months.  BUT NOT TODAY!  They have beds available all the way until the end of February.  I was told to have Easter Seals fax over a referral and they will hold a bed for her to be discharged at the discretion of her psychiatrist.  My knees gave out a little when it sunk in.  I was just told about the waiting period last week, but the social worker also said that she hasn't made too many referrals to that facility in the last month but every one of them were refused so a wait time was irrelevant. 

I asked her if the referral came through today would she be accepted today?  She said that it would only take up to two days to get an official authorization thats why they suggest submitting it now so there is no hold up later and no risk of losing the bed.  She had asked me a few general questions about my daughter in the beginning of our conversation, but with my responses, she would qualify to be admitted.  Wow.

Now I am waiting for one of the therapists from Easter Seals to get back to me so we can get the ball rolling.

This goes to show that with quite a lot of effort javascript:void(0);, an organized plan of action, motivation to stay in the solution, and a lot of praying, finger crossing, lucky charms, and faith, the almost impossible can be possible.

Compared to my post from yesterday, this is a very accurate representation of how life as a Mom of a BPD 15 year old goes from one extreme to the other from one day to the next.  What an emotional roller coaster ride.

Googie
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »

Great news Googie!

Praying along side you that this goes through and that it is the beginning of a bright and happy future for your d and your family!

Smiling (click to insert in post)

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
griz

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »

WOW that sounds wonderful.  I hope all goes easy and exactly as planned.  Sounds like you are on the right road  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Griz
llbee814

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married for thirty-two years, 57 w/ 4 children & 1sil & 1gd

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »

Awesome news!  Keeping fingers (and toes) crossed that everything works out.  Blessings, L.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest