Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:23:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing my behaviour is starting to change his...  (Read 340 times)
sweetheart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« on: June 27, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

Hello everyone,

Usually I only ever post when there is a crisis, well there hasn't been any for a while, so I want to tell you all what has been happening.

Things I changed:-

- stopped focusing on him and am focusing on me

- no matter what happens I haven't got involved and this has transferred the focus of his rants to his family, the police, CMHT, random strangers and away from me

- spending time out and about no matter what his mood might be having fun with our son

- accepted a weekly play date for s6 and then I go swimming

- volunteer one morning a week helping out in sons school

- meet another mum for coffee once a week Smiling (click to insert in post)

- no longer assume responsibility for his mental health

- have my first therapy session next week

- no JADE have tried SET for a few issues that have arisen

- tolerate not even a raised voice, I say I will come back later when things are calmer.

- have relinquished the crushing control I had over so many aspects of his life because I felt so out of control

- have acknowledged my part in the chaos ( it has taken 8 years to get to this point )

Things he changed:-

- started reconnecting with mental health service because I no longer trying to be his therapist

- started to manage and take ownership of his misuse of medication

- has been taking our son out more often skateboarding

- has managed to self soothe a couple of times when left to calm down

- has suggested that we ask my mum to babysit so we might go out ( even if it doesn't happen the suggestion might keep me going for at least a year Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) )

This post is not suggesting that everything is perfect, but the last time I posted I was in the process of laying down some boundaries, reclaiming some life for myself so was caught up in a succession of extinction bursts which probably aren't over yet. However, there is a shift but it is inside me and I was waiting for it to come from him.

I feel different, less stressed, less absorbed in it all, I don't feel as though I am carrying his stuff as well which has freed me up emotionally and has given me more physical space for life. Weird, but good weird. It's great not to post in crisis for a change.

mace17

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Married 6 years

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »

That is a very good thing! I hope he will be able to keep up the improvements, but even if he doesn't you have started taking care of yourself and your son and learning how to disengage. Good for you  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest