Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 11:11:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Babysitter and ex teaming up on me  (Read 391 times)
Eco

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 04, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »

So my ex apparently told the babysitter about me calling the police on her last week when she wouldn't give her to me for thanksgiving. So now I'm the evil worthless dad, This babysitter is a friend of my ex ( not so much friends but they use each other) and already dislikes me. Wednesday when I had my daughter she had a accident and didn't make it to the bathroom in time so she wet her pants ( she will be 3 in march ) when I dropped my daughter off at the babysitters at the end of my visitation I explained to the babysitter what happened and she got very angry and said " GOOD LORD!" like it was the worst thing to do, I asked her if she needed a change of cloths and she said

" ive got some thank you" and slammed the door right in my face while my daughter was in her arms watching this.

I just walked away even though I wanted to tell her that it was very unprofessional and disrespectful to me and my daughter. The next day when I got my daughter the babysitter was acting like nothing happened so I let it go.

I knew there would be some backlash by my ex for calling the police on her and sure enough its through my daughter.  During my visitation these past 2 days my daughter was not herself at all, she was cranky , mean and hitting people again. She was happy to see me like always but after getting in the car  she said  " I want to go home " which meant to my house. when I explained to her that we cant today she said " I never get to go home! " and threw her cup at me.

later on she was ignoring me and I asked her if she was mad at me and she said yes, I asked her why and she said " cause mommy and mommies bf  ( she said his name not mommies bf) I wasn't sure how to handle that so I dropped it. I'm sure ex was running me down to him about the police being called on her. On Thursday when I got my daughter from the babysitter I put her in her car seat and she wanted her jacket off and couldn't get it off but wanted no help ( she is in that stage where she wants to do everything herself) she went into what I thought was a tantrum that turned into what I think was a emotional breakdown. after a few minutes when I could tell it was more then a tantrum and wasn't going to stop I pulled over and started to get her out when she stopped crying and said Daddy, Daddy  as I picked her up. it was almost like she was asking me for help it was so sad sounding, she calmed down but wanted to just sit on my lap and be held. I decided to just sit in my car in the parking lot with her on my lap and we watched the wiggles on my phone for a hour until it was time to go back to the babysitter.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I want to call DFCS on the babysitter to rule out anything going on at her house but I don't know if it would cause more trouble then solve any. I know the main problem is my ex using PA but I'm not sure how much this babysitter is doing. I don't trust the environment at the babysitter she has people in and out and adults there just hanging out. I can tell my daughter is so confused because one minute she is her normal self acting loving and sweet and the next she looks like she remembers that isn't supposed to be that way with me.

I need advice on how to handle this and how to help my daughter when she asks to come home and we cant.

I wanted to call my ex out on this and tell her what my daughter said but I'm afraid she will only take it out on my daughter.

thanks for all the help   

bravhart1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:37:36 PM »

I'm sorry this is so hard on you and your DD.

I guess we could have predicted that it was only a matter of time before ex and bbsitter ganged up, this is why she switched to begin with.

While having accidents and tantrums are normal three year old behaviour, they can also be stress behaviour and I think  you need to trust your gut on that.

My SD began therapy at three. Do you think that you could talk ex into it? I think she will oppose it as she wants no third party reporters who may side with you, like the sitter. But I think you have legit reasons for wanting it and do not think any court would say it's not a good idea.

What's the situation with you guys legally? Who's got legal custody? Do you have attorneys?  Court order?
Eco

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »

Excerpt
My SD began therapy at three. Do you think that you could talk ex into it? I think she will oppose it as she wants no third party reporters who may side with you, like the sitter. But I think you have legit reasons for wanting it and do not think any court would say it's not a good idea.

I've already approached ex on that and her answer was " If she needs counseling I will take her without you" when I make it back to court I'm going to address that.

Excerpt
What's the situation with you guys legally? Who's got legal custody? Do you have attorneys?  Court order?

ex has primary custody and I have joint legal custody, I have a attorney that I cant afford right now. we have a court order but it was written up badly by my former attorney. There are to many grey areas and leaves a lot up to the parents to work out in good faith which as we all know doesn't happen with people with PDs.

bravhart1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »

I would suggest you begin trying to document. Send an email, see if she will respond by email. Ask her to have an email discussion about DD going to therapy. The point is that if she responds with " I will decide if she needs it, and I will take her without you["b]then that's something that should be documented for court later.[/

There should be no reason you should be getting excluded from your daughters dr AppStore therapy or babysitting decision making but for the fact that mom is having difficulties sharing HER child.

I know you have to tread lightly, but trying to get her to expose her thinking on these matters will help immensely later on.
OutOfEgypt

Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »

Hey friend,

I understand the frustration with the babysitter.  My ex-wife has her share of mindless "minions", too.  I love seeing them glare at me like I'm some heartless, evil ass who goes out of his way to "get" their friend, my ex-wife.  There's a rather large handful of people who are pretty well convinced that they "know" who I am and what kind of person I am.  It still bothers me some, but not like it used to.  I guess I've just known my ex for too many years and know exactly what's going to happen.  She goes from one group of codependent enablers to another, like swinging on monkey bars.  Within a year or two, these people will either become her enemies or will be no longer useful to her as she swings to someone new.  Or she'll just rotate them more to her back pocket, to pull out in case of emergency (like when her current support system finds out what she's really like and ditches her).

As hard as it is -and I'm dealing with the same thing- your daughter probably isn't going to break by having to stay with her mom when she doesn't want to.  Unless things get more stable for her while she is with mom, what is probably going to happen is that your daughter is going to grow up to resent her mom's control of her and she will probably decide to live with you when she is old enough to make that decision.  My youngest is 9 and she already doesn't want to live with her mom.  She feels like she has no voice with her mom and isn't allowed to have one because she says her mom will get mad.  

At home (with me and my wife and her siblings), my daughter has a voice.  She is expected to act like a 9 year old.  She is disciplined when she is rude or selfish or whatever.  And she is ferociously loved.  And she knows it.  At her mom's, she knows that mommy loves her but her mom is usually too preoccupied with other things... .like her boyfriend or sleeping all day when she isn't working.  My daughter spends a lot of time alone or with people she doesn't know, at a place that isn't home.  Her mom doesn't expect her to talk and over-babies her a lot.  She also hangs out with losers and arguably has a drinking problem.  It sucks.  But my daughter is surviving -not thriving, but surviving.

What you need to do is just be eyes and ears for her, and be her coach.   Keep watch.  Write things down.  If you suspect something is going wrong, maybe take her to a doctor or to a counselor.  And talk to her about things with honesty.  She is old enough to understand at least some things.  "I know, sweetie.  I want you to come home with me, too.  But when mommy's and daddy's aren't together anymore, there are rules that say mommy and daddy each get to see the child.  And when it's mommy's turn, I can't do anything about that.  As you get older, things can change, but there's not much I can do about it right now.  I would if I could."  You can also ask her how things are, and if she says there are things going on that she doesn't like you can encourage her to use her voice and speak up.  And of course, if there are consistent patterns of abnormal behavior, taking her to a child counselor may help you figure out if there is abuse going on.

Recently, we coached my daughter on the difference between beer cans/bottles and soda cans/bottles.  She already could tell the difference, and she said, "mommy has lots of those! (pointing to the alcohol cans)"  Kids are pretty smart.  We told her to say "No" if anyone wants her to get in the car after they've had some of those kind of cans or bottles.  Things like that.  Right now, we're making sure she has our phone number memorized and knows how to use a phone.

If she is 3, within a year or two she will probably be in pre-school.  That will change some things.  You won't be the only one noticing things.  The teachers and the school will notice.  They will notice who is responsible and who is not, who is drama and who is not.  They will hear things, and they may witness things.  It's actually good, most of the time, because they can become another advocate for your child.

Writing things down is good, but in court it can be considered "hearsay" when by itself.  What you really need is tangible proof or witnesses to things.  Teachers, doctors, friends, counselors, you... .things witnesses see are important.  So write things down, by all means, but write down also who was involved and who was there.  Someone who appears to be your ex's ally at the present time may turn out to be your ally (or your daughter's) in the future.

One big thing I think you need to watch out for, as a daddy of a little girl with a mom like this, is over-coddling your daughter.  It is very understandable to freak out when your daughter appears hurt and you want to call the authorities and do all kinds of things to protect her.  And in some circumstances, you absolutely should.  But the flip-side of that is that it is entirely possible for a daddy to treat his daughter like a victim and over-coddle her.  This can unwittingly encourage unwanted behavior and attitudes.  If they are treated like they are babies, they learn to remain more like babies.  And they learn that if they cry and act sad daddy will come running, no matter what's actually going on.  It becomes a dysfunctional way to get attention and affection, and if we aren't careful we can contribute to them being stunted a bit emotionally.

I've been a rock for both of my daughters, especially the younger one.  And I just felt so badly for the younger one because she just loves me so much, only wanted me all the time, and was neglected by her mommy (we all were).  I became her security blanket, and she kinda became mine, too.  It wasn't good for her.  Yes, her mom was neglectful, and that stunted her.  But I believe my over-protection and over-coddling stunted her at some point, too.  It was understandable for a time, and even necessary to make her feel safe and give her a secure attachment, but at some point I needed to stop seeing her as a "poor thing" and start seeing her as a little girl who is resilient and can learn and grow through these tough and very adult things.  

I didn't really grasp this until I started dating and finally married my current wife.  My wife is great with my daughters, especially the younger one, but when we first got together she was appalled at the behavior I accepted as normal.  Crying, whining, animal noises, not speaking, clawing when angry, etc.  It's like she was feral!  But my new wife began expecting my youngest to act her age, and within a year my daughter (who for a while my ex and I believed may have Asperger's) turned into a normal 8 or 9 year old little kid.  Sure, she is still regressed in some ways, and she has some social troubles she is still working through, but it is like night and day.

Long story short... .hang in there.  Be vigilant and protect your daughter, but watch yourself for overreaction and over-coddling.  The world isn't coming crashing to the ground.  Kids have grown through much, much worse and come out fine.  That being said, if you find out she is being physically or sexually abused in any way, I would not hesitate to drop the hammer using any legal means necessary.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest