Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 05, 2024, 06:34:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An apology letter... from me?  (Read 372 times)
struggli

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 16, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

In regard to the "owning our part" thread started by GreenMango, I have started wondering if I should write an apology letter to the ex for my role in the relationship.

What do you think?

Has anyone done this?

I have reasons for "no way" and "might not be a bad idea" floating around in my head.
TheDude

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »

I'd have to believe that 'owning our part' of a failed relationship, especially when already apart, is better done entirely for yourself. Directing this toward the ex is potentially "engaging" in a very unpredictable scenario. It could be used to feed and validate the blackness, or it could contribute to a future recycle attempt. Are either of those what you would want? I did something similar after the first break up, and in hindsight... .  it only served to validate her crazy break up behavior and peeled off another layer of my self respect.
mosaicbird

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »

IME, having done this in the past, I don't find it to be productive. Write the letter, but save it for yourself and don't send it. When apologizing to my xwBPD, it generally turned into another session of her castigating me for my failures, acting martyred, and telling me that she didn't believe any of it and that I'd have to work harder to "convince" her of the veracity of it. You know, "If you're really sorry than you'd crawl across broken glass to prove it!" That sort of thing. From what I can tell, apologizing to someone with BPD, however well-intended, however honest, just reinforces their worldview. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I have never had any luck with it, and it has only served to torment me even more.

Elsegundo
Formerly Elsee

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »

Been debating this myself.  Decided to just write it and keep it.  So far it's enough.  Think it could be for you?

Iced

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »

Apologizing to someone who is not well enough to understand what the apology is for (more than likely) is more than likely going to result in what everyone else had said - ANOTHER episode.

Also, over-apologizing isn't good for anyone, either.

If you have already apologized before during the course of the relationship, apologizing over and over and over again is actually going to encourage the pwBPD to continue what they're doing.

"Oh, it's THEIR fault, definitely!  That means I never did anything wrong!"

You don't want to enable them or continue to enable them.

Write it because it can be therapeutic for yourself... .  but don't send it and instigate another confrontation.
struggli

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:45:51 PM »

Thanks all.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines.

I thought it might cement her role as victim and mine as persecutor. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest