Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 04:39:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know what I should do  (Read 375 times)
Nowwhat54
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 08, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »

I am so relieved that I came across this fourm. I'm not sure where to begin. So my girlfriend and I have been together for 2 and half years but have known each other for 3 years and some odd monthes. When we firs met we hit it off and from that day forward I never left. I ended up pretty much moving in on the second day of knowing her. Everything seemed normal. We ended up having to move out of the house that she was in and moving in with my uncle and aunt. Things still seeming normal i thought. Then friends started saying how I was hanging out much anymore and family stared saying thr same thing.I was head over heels for this women! I seen no flags at all. I felt physically ill when I wasn't with her. Then we got a house to rent. Things stared to seem weird. She was getting mad at me for no rewson. Taking aggression out on the animals and the on the house. One day I had enough and left. Long story short I got my stuff out eventually and went about my life but I missed her. We ended up getting back together and living wide by side in apartments next to each other. Fast forward to now. I'm unable to do anything with out her asking why or wondering if I'm cheating if i go see my mom. My life is spiraling downward. I love her so much but I don't think that I'm in love with her anymore. We aren't together anymore but she asks every day when we will be again. She has been diagnosed as bipolar but the more I read the more I think BPD! I want to tell her that I need my life back but she always threatens to kill herself! I try and talk to her but I get so mad when she says I don't love her or like her anymore. So I start yelling. She doesnt believe a word I say ever. She turns it all around on herself. If i don't pay attention to her she gets mad. Like I can't even put into words what my life has been like the past 5 months. Everything has gotten worse! We work together so it's hard to move on cause I always have to see her. And she always says she's going to kill herself if i say we need space. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to make things better or how to move on without her.
BeagleGirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:09:14 AM »

Nowwhat54,
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this.  I think one of the things that brings us all to this board is a sense of helplessness.  I hope that, like me, you will be able to find the hope and support necessary to move forward.
    As I see it, you have two productive options, neither of which may seem desirable/possible at the moment, but may be worth consideration.

1.  You can move away (figuratively and literally) from your girlfriend so that you can focus on healing and strengthening for whatever comes next.  "Whatever" could be singlehood, another relationship, or even potentially reopening the door for a renewed relationship with your girlfriend.  This option has a lot of challenges:
Dealing with the threat of suicide - I'm currently being coached by my therapist on how to handle this with my hwBPD.  I have not had the opportunity to "confront" the issue with him yet, but when I do I think it will sound something like "I care about you, so I would be deeply grieved by your death, but I understand that suicide would be a decision and action only you have the power to make, so I would not feel guilty.  Our boys and I would grieve for a time, but then we would move on.  I would probably remarry, and I would look forward to seeing them find wives.  I would still be here to enjoy my daughers in law and, in time, my grandchildren."
Removing temptation - It's not the same, but I ended an affair 3 years ago so that I could be true to myself.  I had to remove every excuse to go back to my affair partner.  I changed jobs to make sure that I had minimal contact with my affair partner.  It meant sacrifices in other areas of my life, but I recognized that I was not strong enough to resist that pull.  And if I didn't resist that pull, I would continue to betray my true self and ultimately lose myself in the relationship.  I know it may be hard to hear, but if you really want to sever ties and be able to focus on being the kind of person that can unapologetically ask to be loved, you may have to make some short term sacrifices, like finding another job.
Learning who you are - 3 years is a long time, even for someone as old as me.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  For 3 years you have been defined, to some extent, by how your girlfriend sees you and the role that you have held in your relationship.  It may take more than just leaving your relationship to help you define who you are.  I had to leave my marriage (physical separation) and face the disapproval of pretty much all the people that matter in my life in order to learn who I am at the core.  As painful as it has been, the peace I have in knowing who I am is priceless.  I know that it will either enable me to give to my husband in ways I could never have imagined, or to be the kind of woman that the RIGHT kind of man is looking for if I am ever "on the market" again.

2.  You can "stay well" in the relationship.  This may seem like an impossible feat, but others have achieved success by allowing their strength to inspire/encourage/demand that their partner become healthier.  They have stayed in their relationships, not out of FOG (fear, obligation, guilt), but out of a desire to help their pwBPD and/or provide for their children.  They have found the strength to implement and reinforce he boundaries necessary to keep their pwBPD moving towards healthy interactions.  I feel like option 2 requires some time in option 1, but that may just be my journey.  Regardless, the objective in option 2 is to take an active role in helping your pwBPD become the kind of people that you will eventually be able to partner with in all areas of your life. 

I'm not currently working on option 2, so I would recommend reading posts by those who are, like FormFlier.  If your're in "Option 1 mode", even just temporarily, then please let us know what specific questions you have.
BeagleGirl
Lucky Jim

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »

Hey Nowwhat54, Welcome!  Yes, you do need your life back and don't need to justify it.  It's your life, after all.  BeagleGirl has given you some good options to consider.  At the end of the day, we can't tell you what to do because everyone has to find their own way through the BPD Forest.  Yet we can help you to find the right path for you.  I suggest you decline to be manipulated by threats of suicide (the ultimate manipulation).  Also suggest you take the space you need.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest