Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 08:12:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am on the Bridge and am letting go of the rope - God have mercy  (Read 2681 times)
Thursday

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »

Excerpt
I don't have that much power. We each make our own choices. You are making your own choices

Those are three very important and memorable sentences.

I truly don't want to diminish their importance by speaking of choice in greater detail.

Like your DD, my SD is chosing not to work towards specific goals. My SD will not put forth the effort to look for a job and thus is jobless. If she fills out a single job application per week we are ahead of the game. She accepts a lower standard of control over her life with this choice.

I am conflicted and wonder if my SD's choices, so motivated by fear, are really choices. So much fear of the unknown (if she gets a job she will be the new girl, she won't know how they do things, what if nobody likes her), poor self-esteem hidden by bravado keeps my girl from really being able to choose her path with the same direction and power I know in my own life.

She cannot free herself with reason. I can remind her that she has conquered these fears before but she won't assure herself. She knows that when she is carefully guided, if she gives her hand to be held, she has fewer troubles, her confidence builds and she wants that comfort but it isn't realistic, it's co-dependant, it's a really bad idea. I think she feels like if she doesn't have a hand to hold, there will never be another hand offered. She bites at you when you try to move her, try to say something that might get her over her own paralysis.

I don't know where I'm going with this. Struggling. Last night SD called and said, "I'm going to ask you for money."

She phrases this in such an interesting way. Today she will say,

"Remember my call from last night? Yeah, I'm going to need to ask for that."

The phrasing allows her not to really ask for it, going to need to... . if she keeps this as an idea sometime in the future she might not feel so ashamed to do it.

On Monday last week she started driving an AA fellow to and from work. The deal was 40.00 per day for the two trips and gasoline whenever she needed it.  She has no bills. For reasons we don't know (she is secretive) he no longer will be paying her to do this but last week she made 200.00 and had her gasoline paid for. But by Sunday night she is calling and asking for money.

Her justification will be that she hasn't asked for awhile. Oddly, sometimes this works on my husband. I didn't have the heart to ask him if he is going to give her any money. He probably won't. He will probably let her come over and do work but not until the weekend.

She is stuck. This is the same girl who had a major addiction to benzos and got herself sober. She has had jobs. She's been a long term employee before.

Until she gets a job her life on her own doesn't begin. This is a half-life she is living. But look at it. She's having a ball! And she has an entourage of folks willing to hold her hand... . kindof like your DD's homeless troop.

Sorry for the hijack.

Thursday

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »

Thursday - it feels so unfair when our disordered kids seem to be having all the fun, and we carry all the worry.

Ok, so 'all' is a fantasy word. And 'seem to be' is important.

I cannot truly know the distressing moments in my DD's life. She might share these with her friends. Most likely she holds them tightly in secret as sharing often comes with a price.

I met with school social worker today to discuss gd's summer plans - summer school, etc. She made a comment to me after I had shared with her for about an hour. "QCR, love for you is so painful. Love is not painful for everyone." My reply, "It is hard for me to believe this."

I still have to ponder on these statements. They feel really important.

We live our life loving our kids with all we can muster. And the paradox is we have to take the risk to let them go. They are the ones in control of their lives, whether they choose or allow 'non-choice' to choose for them.

I can only survive, to be here for others in my life too, if I find the boundaries that can protect my values and my safety. It is easier in the moment to give away my power and give into DD's request/demands. But I know that this does nothing for either of us in the long run.

My prayers are for someone to connect with her and open her to accepting the resources and opportunites there for her. It will not be her family at this point. And like your D, there always seems to be someone willing to be her victim/rescuer in the friend pool.

Deep sadness, grief. But my despair has lessened as I am letting go more and more.

See from email I got from Verizon that DD made it there to get her phone working - not sure what the problem was. See, I stayed out of the way and she got it taken care of without me.

qcr  

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »

Ok, I think I understand what you are both speaking of. I know I 'get it' but also I am trying to tease out meanings.

Choice. We all have choices. I recall referring to the feeling of compulsion to do something I didn't really want to do as a 'forced choice'. I also am familiar with the idea that there are things we have to do and things we want to do and that they are not necessarily the same. While I think these ideas have a truth in them, I am not so sure if they are helpful any more.

If I embrace the concepts of mindfulness and (self) compassion, then I embrace every choice I make. If I don't open myself to being mindful and compassionate, then I am in a situation of possible forced choices or doing things I have to do.

I feel this is getting deeply philosophical... . so, if I allow myself to be happy, no matter what life brings: if I practice radical acceptance, if I let go of ego and attachment to 'worldly' things, if I open myself to the universe and its higher positive energy - then no matter what happens, no matter what I do, it is.

Now, our beautiful adult children as adults are responsible for what they do. There is a world that tells them how to behave, it isn't just us. Because they are hurting and dealing with the confusions in their heads they make what we consider poor choices. This is a judgement on our behalf. This is a 'moralistic judgement' that says she is making bad choices. This is an expression of our needs and values.

This is a great dilemma for me. I can see that my opinion that dd's choices are poor choices is a 'moralistic judgement' and that this blocks my capacity to communicate with her and have a sound relationship with her. But I also see the pain that those choices bring her.

So, I return to that which will bring me happiness: mindfulness (acceptance, detachment, being one with the universe - all in the present) and compassion with a plan on how to life my life. Worry is a wasted energy. Worry about what will be is too.

If love is painful, is that because our expectations are not being met? Our needs and values violated? Is it because the assumptions upon which we base our relationships are flawed? Do our dd's drag us down with their expectations of us and the behaviour towards us, is that because our boundaries are nebulous?

I don't know. I do know that my dd is a legal adult and lives as an adult who makes her own decisions. They are definitely not the ones I would make (but then so many people make decisions I wouldn't!). She has all the support at her arms reach, if she wanted. For whatever reason she doesn't want that. So, I work on achieving my happiness and developing a good relationship with my dd (boundaries and validation) so that when she is right, I can help. 

Thank you for your posts to help me get back on track,

Vivek        
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »

DD and her friend G (he had his mom's car) stopped by without warning about 4pm today. She brought some food and cooked a casserole. Said she wanted to do some laundry. Dh got home soon after she came. Then G had to leave (he is on ankle bracelet monitoring and had to be home within about 15 minutes per DD) and DD asked for a ride back later. Dh said OK. Then she asked to take 'her dog' - ie. our dog that is friendly. We said no. She had suggested trading dogs - she wanted a dog with her (she is homeless though staying at friends apt.). We let her take dog for visit early last week, and they all had a good time. But they have no money for vet., right food, etc. and the household already has lots of people, cats and a dog. We have trouble being direct with her out of fear of violence for her.

She started out arguing that we had traded dogs and we could not stop her from taking him. But we would have to drive her and dog to town as G cannot have dogs in his moms car! It quickly became a power struggle and we asked her to leave immediately with G. She did. She took the casserole with her. Sad that we could not have a meal together in peace.

Feels like she wants me to rescue her. That bringing food would draw us closer to her. I know she is scared about going to jail - they really do not care if she can't follow procedure to not. She has to fill out forms, which is hard due to her learning disability, to get any services. She has to initiate.

Feels like I am unable to be validating - I am so disappointed in her inability to do the probation. Disappointed in myself for holding expectations that some miracle would happen for her to accept the treatments and realize they could make her life better.

She believes she is innocent of DWAI charges, had a bad lawyer (which I do agree with), and judge could see her attitude and gave the maximum sentence with long probation period ( 2-4 yeras) and longest jail sentence lawy allows (one year) upon failure to do probation. I expect no mercy when she goes to court.

I got the summons letter - gave DD the date, she has not asked to see letter which is her pattern of avoiding the truth. She only wanted me to tell her the court date. My belief is she needs to know what is in the letter to know what to be prepared when she sees her PO June 4th and goes to court June 14th. But I do not want to give her this info in person - do not want to risk getting hit. Dh says to leave it. She does not want to know the truth set out clearly.

Feeling so sad that I cannot give her any comfort. Prayin for her to find solace somewhere else, and help to get a public defender to speak for her in court. A competent one - the one at trail did not present any defense at all.

Maybe I am asking for advise about summons. Maybe I am sharing my sadness and pain. Thanks for listening.

qcr  

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest