Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 08:15:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to deal with silent treatment  (Read 737 times)
bpdwife1000

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 06, 2019, 02:37:56 AM »

My husband has bpd but undiagnosed (he fits the symtoms 100%)
Now he has ups which everything is good and then downs where he is falling apart and wants to escape and drink and is totally stressed and depressed.  often during these times he gives silent treatment to me - what is the best response for me to give? Often I ignore the fact that he is ignoring me and I try to talk to him anyway - but I get hurt when i'm ignored back.

What is the right way to deal with this?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Coastgirl

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »

I don't know the answer but I am in the same exact boat. I tried today to reach out and was told that I was interrupting him from doing what he needed to move forward with his day. If I let him be in silence for days without asking how he is doing then I don't care about him. I literally cannot say anything. With that being said in my personal situation it seems to be best if I let him initiate conversation and follow his lead. I know that isn't helpful but I wanted to let you know more than anything that you are not alone. I hope the silence ends soon for you.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »

Hi.  A lot of us have dealt with the silent treatment from our loved one(s).

How to deal with it is an excellent question.  Regardless of what may be driving the behavior, I think the best response is to give them space and just go about your life.  You can say something like "Okay, I'll talk to you later then".  Beyond that, I would not say much else especially when they are upset/dysregualted.

Sometimes the silent treatment is a means of control or punishment in which case you do not want to feed into it by chasing them or repeatedly asking what is wrong.  We inadvertently end up re-enforcing their behaviors when we do this which is just going to result in more of the same behavior.

Sometimes, a person will go quiet as a way to withdraw so they can self-soothe and return to center.  In this case, giving them space is the best possible thing you can do.

When he is having a up day are you able to discuss some of his behaviors and what he needs from you and what works for you?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Delight1

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »

I also struggle with this.  I have started just going about my normal day and continuing to engage him in "necessary" conversations.  Usually questions like, do you want to go here with me or what are you thinking for dinner.  I give him a few hours to cool down over whatever it is, then just start engaging.  I do not question what is wrong, I usually save that for when his silent treatment is over with and he is back to his calmer self.  I have found that pushing him to tell me what is wrong before he is "over" it is pointless and I do nothing but irritate him and make the silence last longer.  To not drive myself crazy I hop on here and look for other threads about a similar situation to help me through it.
Stillhopeful4

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »

It's very hard.  My uBPDw is known for the silent treatment.  She wouldn't even acknowledge I was in the room.  It lasted exactly 3 days.  I could try and talk to her, say hi, or bye have a good day...NOTHING...stone cold nothing.  There was nothing I could get her to do to talk, so I would just leave her for her 3 days until she was ready to come around.

SH4

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest