Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 03:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As one who has read this book, how would you rate it?
Excellent - 1 (50%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Fair - 1 (50%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Adult Child's Guide to What's "Normal"  (Read 1329 times)
blackandwhite
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »

An Adult Child's Guide to What's "Normal"
Author: John Friel and Linda D. Friel
Publisher: Health Communications (September, 1990)
Paperback: 200 pages
ISBN-10: 1558740902
ISBN-13: 9781558740907

Book Description
You have begun to deal with the pain and trauma of being raised in a dysfunctional family and now you are ready to lead a healthy life. But:

• Do you know what healthy people do?
  • Do you know what is "normal"?
  • Do you know how to ask unwanted guests to leave?

In An Adult Child's Guide to What's "Normal", John and Linda Friel have written a practical guide to living a healthy life. Your parents may not have been able to teach you social skills but it is not too late to learn them now. This book will help the reader to learn how to respond to the challenges, problems and traps that they are faced with daily.

About the Authors
John Friel, Ph.D. is a psychologist in private practice in St. Paul, Minnesota; Director of the St. Paul / Minneapolis Clearlife / Lifeworks Clinic, an intensive, short-term treatment program for Adult Children, Co-dependency, Addiction and compulsivity issues; and adjunct Associate Professor of Psychology at St. Mary's College Graduate Center in Minneapolis.

Linda Friel is known for her therapeutic and training expertise in the areas of family systems, survivors of unhealthy childhoods, depression, anxiety, addictions and personality disorders. She is cofounder and national director of the ClearLife/Lifeworks Clinic, which is a special four-day therapy program to help people move beyond the painful patterns of childhood shortages.

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else. ~ Lucille Clifton
Mousse
Retired Staff

Channeling Lorelai...

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

Wow!   What a great idea for a book (not to mention a straightforward title).  I have to check this out.  Before I came to bpdfamily.com, I had no idea others struggled with this, too.

Freedom begins with an act of defiance. Pain is part of life, but suffering is a choice.
1-800-799-SAFE (7233) - National Domestic Violence Hotline (USA)
blackandwhite
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »

Yes, not knowing what's "normal" is a really common problem for people who grow up in dysfunctional families. This book has actually been around for 20 years, but I only discovered it recently. Wish I had read it earlier. A few things are tiny bit dated (like one reference to a "current TV commercial", but the vast majority of the material is timeless.

I liked the simple chapters that are problem and solution oriented, such as "the pay/owe syndrome" (the way obligation can warp relationships) and then what to do about it. There's even a chapter on the characteristics of a healthy sexual relationship and a couple of sections on what healthy friendships look like. There's also one on "how people fight" in a healthy way, with stories as examples.

Well worth checking out if you've ever wondered how "normal" people do things.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

B&W

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else. ~ Lucille Clifton
Taylor83

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »

I love the idea of this book.  I went ahead and ordered it!   Smiling (click to insert in post) I will post what I think when I am done.  Thanks for another great suggestion. 
CalicoSilver

Relationship status: Married almost 30 years.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Didn't even know it existed, but will likely add it to my amazon book list.

Now if we could only get one written with the title, "A Child's Guide to What's Normal"

then have it part of elementary school curriculum we'd be a long way toward stopping this behavior dead in its tracks.

Yes, I do realize this is an idealistic and quite impractical suggestion, too.

I can't help but wish I knew (back then) what I know now.
Telios

Relationship status: married 21 years

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »

This is a great idea for a book , and it is not to late for adult children of dysfunction to learn normal behavior it just takes a little more work and consciousness.

Another resource that has helped me immensely to learn how to act normal is listening to  various topical videos on the cloudtownsend.com

website.

|iiiiTelios

Mom2MyKids

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »

Maybe a little unrelated here, but I think I know what is normal behavior in terms of how I should act, but I talked to a lot of people my mom's age back in Feb/Mar when everything was just blowing up and I commented to my SIL once "wow, so and so is soo nice" and she said "She's not soo nice.  She's normal."  I was like "oh".

Here is an excerpt from an e-mail from one of my mom's friends to me last week.  "How are you doing these days?    I can't remember if you're going camping this month or next month."

What a concept... .  Instead of "me me me me me"  It's nice when you get "normal" every now and then.
Katey1909

Relationship status: Common-law boyfriend (3 years)

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »

This book looks awesome! It's definitely next on my reading list Smiling (click to insert in post) I've always wondered what is normal. So many things I do I think might be weird. I mean, when you show up at the office is it cool to just go to your desk and work or should you try to smile and say hi to everyone? I don't know! Maybe I'll get some info on this and other life happenings.

Thank you for putting it up! I'll put a review when I'm done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions