Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 04, 2024, 03:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to expect in a trial with a BPD? (Child matters)  (Read 958 times)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »

As someone who has been on the receiving end of this kind of action (uN/BPDstbx stopping all contact unilaterally, going to court to get an ex parte motion to deny parenting), I urge you to think carefully about it before you do it.

In our case, my SO did yell at SS. He contacted his mother who swooped in and "rescued" him from our home. She refused any contact with us for a month.  She took him down to file an order of protection against his own father and used the therapist to try to get all parenting time stopped. It was contagious and SS was unable to stand up to her. To some degree, I think he WAS upset with his father and a little anxious about coming back over and dealing with the fall-out of the incident that happened. But that doesn't mean he wanted it all stopped.

If you stop him from seeing his dad, he is only going to get more frightened and it will only be harder to go back. I understand that what your ex did scared him, but this is an extreme reaction, IMO, much like SO's stbxw did.

JMHO. There may be middle ground.

Good point. In my case, N/BPDx was having some kind of manic episode that he is having a hard time explaining away. My L was behind me 100% in stopping all overnights and the emergency motion was the responsible thing to do. So there is definitely a middle ground, a low, and a high in these kinds of situations.

But it's good to know that it is a tool you can use if you need it. Not easy to gauge the best time to use it, but it's there.

Breathe.
dusk

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »

Believe me, I don't want to stop contact but my son has never said he's scared in all his life. Now he says it 10 times a day. If I send him back there will he think I failed him too?

He told me last night that he'll give dad one more chance... He said he

He said he will try to go back to his dads... I said we'll talk to this person about it (psychologist). He said, 'I'll give him one more chance... .  I can deal with it, I'll be brave. God will look after me'. :-(

I wished this boy never had to experience this. I want him to feel love from both of his parents... Even if its not real love from one of them.

He has no one else there to protect him. No one to help him. It's him and his dad only. He can't even call anyone if he's terrorised again.

I haven't spoken to my lawyer yet so I still don't know what to do... .  
Matt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »

What about getting a counselor involved, first to talk with your son alone - maybe a few times - and then when your son is ready, to include his dad too.

The idea would be to help them heal what's broken.  Not to "fix" his dad - that won't happen without individual therapy.  But to help them work out how they can be around each other safely.

That might be a condition of further contact.

dusk

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »

Tog, I understand what you are saying... .  But your SO is not a BPD, his ex is right?

So I think it's a bit different when I'm sending my son to a crazy enraged BPD. He hates me more than he loves his son. He has scared the life out of this boy. No one should have to put up with a BPD's raging... .  Especially a defenceless 7yo boy.

I really don't want to stop all contact, I just want my son to feel safe.
dusk

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

What about getting a counselor involved, first to talk with your son alone - maybe a few times - and then when your son is ready, to include his dad too.

The idea would be to help them heal what's broken.  Not to "fix" his dad - that won't happen without individual therapy.  But to help them work out how they can be around each other safely.

That might be a condition of further contact.

That's a good idea. I will talk to this psychologist about it today.
tog

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »

Tog, I understand what you are saying... .  But your SO is not a BPD, his ex is right?

So I think it's a bit different when I'm sending my son to a crazy enraged BPD. He hates me more than he loves his son. He has scared the life out of this boy. No one should have to put up with a BPD's raging... .  Especially a defenceless 7yo boy.

I really don't want to stop all contact, I just want my son to feel safe.

No, he's not. But that's how she portrayed him and she kept SS away for a month. And she claimed my SO "scared the life out of of SS" too. Just be cautious. You can influence your S against his father even not meaning to. How about someone S trusts to be there for a few hours and have him go see his Dad?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest