Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 10:43:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triangulation between parent and BPD son and nonBPD daughter  (Read 366 times)
MammaMia

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 17, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »

My children, dBPDs 38 and his nonBPD sister 41 cannot communicate with each other.  My daughter prefers to tell me things and have me pass them on to her brother.  If her "message" gets changed in any way, and I have to relay that change to dBPDs, he then becomes angry at me and suggests she and I are conspiring against him.  Then they are both angry at me.  

I have told my nonBPDd that this HAS to stop.  I will no longer be a party to this.  She says BPDs will not return her calls and nothing gets accomplished without my intervention.  

I have repeatedly told her to leave messages on his phone or put her thoughts in writing and send them to him.  He will not give her his e-mail address because she gave his previous e-mail address and phone number (without his permission) to someone he did not want to have it. HUGE blowup.  Now he does not trust her to do anything he asks.

I have given my nonBPDd information on how to communicate with her brother, but she thinks it is stupid and he is being treated like a child... .  therefore, he is receiving favoritism.  She just does not understand how very different his thought processes are from hers.  Not sure she ever will,  

even tho I have tried to educate her on BPD.  She says the entire "BPD illness" is just his way of getting more of my attention.

Anyone out there dealing with this issue and if so, any suggestions?

P.F.Change
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »

You do not want to be the go-between and pass messages back and forth for your children. Very good. They are middle-aged adults and need to figure out their relationship on their own. You can have a relationship with each of them even if they do not have a relationship with each other. You don't have to try to fix it or get anyone to understand anyone else. Those things you can't control. You can only control whether you take care of you.

Wishing you peace,

PF

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”--Lao Tzu
MammaMia

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »

PF

That is EXACTLY what I have told my daughter.  Thank you for validating my viewpoint.

I love them both but their relationship (or lack of) is their responsibility.
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »

Agreed: step- off the triangle... .  don't even try to argue, justify or explain yourself anymore... .    or try to get them to do see the light or to stop or start anything... .  focus only on that which you have control over, yourself.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest