Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 01:52:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Therapists  (Read 398 times)
Take2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 23, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »

Why is it so hard to find a therapist that has reasonable hours?  My job is insanely busy and I have a 5 year old child.  Trying to get to the therapist between 9 am to 4pm weekdays is very very hard. 

Couple that with trying to find one that actually understands BPD and those who have been affected.

I feel like I am striking out.

I am going to a therapist that I like, but I actually think I know as much or more about this than her and between that feeling and the fact that I can only get into see her about once or twice a month depending on her schedule and mine... .    it's just not doing much for me... .    I know I need more help.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find a good therapist who can deal with someone who has been emotionally abused... .    ?

I guess I can start there... .    and I don't want to change therapists... .    I do like this woman that I see now... .  but I really need it to more often to make progress... .  

P.F.Change
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:11:50 PM »

You might try the PsychologyToday.com "find a therapist" tool. You can do an advanced search and look for someone who specializes in trauma or PTSD. From there you can do some phone or email interviews to see who feels like a potential fit for your needs and schedule.

Good luck--I hope you can find someone.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

PF

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”--Lao Tzu
oletimefeelin

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »

If working through these issues is a priority then you will have to make time.  My work isn't the best about this sort of thing, and they allowed me to take a long lunch every week without asking any questions.  Some therapists do have evening or even weekend appointments, but they are reserved for long time clients.  After a while they'll work with you as their client base turns over.

Some experience with BPD is helpful, but not necessary in my opinion.  Therapy is about you and what this chaotic relationship brought out of you. 
Suzn
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »

Some experience with BPD is helpful, but not necessary in my opinion.  Therapy is about you and what this chaotic relationship brought out of you. 

I agree with this. I was lucky, my T does work with pwBPD too, I did ask for someone who was experienced with BPD when I called around. I thought it would be easier if they had some experience. It's good, IMHO, that your T has some working knowledge of BPD. (I'm not sure if that's what your saying Take2, or that she doesn't have enough knowledge) About the 3rd session with mine I told her "BPD is HER issue, we need to talk more about MY issues." I got a thumbs up from her and we proceeded from there. There was a "why" I ended up in this relationship and stayed, more than one "why" I should add.

“Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others.” ~Jacob M. Braude
Take2

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

Yeah,  I totally get that... .  there is serious crap going on in my head that has allowed me to not only stay in the abusive relationship, but to have flat out begged for it over and over.

I will continue with my therapy.  I DO make time for it. But its difficult when her schedule seems as limited as mine.

Thanks for the comments.

I will try and focus more on improving my issues.

And honestly want to stop talking or thinking about his... .  
Blazing Star

Relationship status: Been together 5 years

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »

Hi Take2,

I relate to your scheduling challenges! I only am able to see mine about once a month - but she is Awesome! A way round it for me was to ask for 'homework' so I can keep doing the work when I am not seeing her - like books to read, mindfulness exercises to do, journalling etc.

Also a couple of times I have found a friend who will take my daughter for an hour while I am in therapy, this has helped.

Love Blazing Star
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest