Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:14:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you "hate" your BPD ex? Do you still find yourself defending them?  (Read 564 times)
Octoberfest

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 02, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »

I don't question that my dBPDex hurt me and was wrong in what she did... . She cheated on me throughout our relationship, lied to me, hid me from family and friends, and otherwise really hurt me.  But I still can't bring myself to hate her.  And when I am telling friends what happened invariably someone says "what a whore for cheating on you like that!"... . And I find myself wanting to defend her.   I don't believe she WANTED to cheat... . She knew doing it was wrong, she just didnt know any other way to survive.  Does anyone else do this? Maybe I am just sick still

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill
[/url]
TheDude

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »

Not hating someone isn't an illness.

Hate isn't a necessity for anything, and can be a sickness all its own. Besides, hate isn't the opposite of love.

Indifference is... .
leftbehind

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »

I don't hate my ex either.  I realize he acts the same way in every relationship he's in - honeymoon idealization first, then devalue and find a way out.  So it's not personal that he lied (and most likely cheated), broke up with me by email, refused to tell me why, etc, etc, etc. 

I'm still mad at him.  I still see good in him.  If he didn't have BPD, then maybe he could be mad at me and still see good in me and/or the relationship.  In other words if he didn't have this mental illness that makes him split people white or black, we might still be together.  But that's like saying, "If only he was a completely different person (not mentally ill, compulsive liar, commitmentphobe, with addictive tendencies)  we would still be together.
Sango216

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »

The only time I even come close to hating my ex is when I think about the last day we spoke and the things he said.  I don't know if that makes sense.  Like right now, I'm in a good place.  I'm calm and I'm not really focusing so much on how deeply his words cut me that day, so I don't hate him.  Instead, I pity him.  He's so messed up and he doesn't know it, or care to acknowledge it.
stop2think

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:02:04 AM »

I don't think i have ever been on such a roller coaster ride of emotions, especially after he left me.

There are days i hate him for what he did to me, some days i miss him for the things he 'said' to me and for the good times we had, other days i am angry at him for manipulating my emotions and controlling my life, and some days i just feel sad for the days he was alone and in pain (silent treatment towards me), and then i feel numb like i am in a vaccum for being abandoned.

I found myself defending him when 'others' judged him but never defended him when i am analyzing the entire experience. I don't think i can ever forgive him or forget what he put me through.
WalrusGumboot

Relationship status: My divorce was final in April, 2012.

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »

I hate what she was doing to me.

I hate that I allowed myself to be victimized like that for so long.

I recognize that I have my own issues, yet I do not hate myself. I just hate what I did (and didn't do).

As much as I thought I hated her, in reality I hated the toxicity between us. She is out of my life now and hope she finds help so she doesn't hurt others. I really don't want to carry hatred in my heart perpetually.

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest