Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:33:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Facebook behaviour  (Read 1116 times)
Mr gaga

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »

Stay away from facebook after a break up! It only causes more hurt. I learned my lesson after seeing her with the guy she left me for and it really tore me up. Deactivated my account and have no intentions to reactivate it ever again
mitchell16

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »

I dont think facebook is a BPD thing but I do think they use it for a manipulation tool. Its a way to show the world and us they are happy. or to make us look bad or whatever they want to show. Mine used to hate facebook, used to complain about me having a facebook account, claimed I used it to contact women and bla blah blah. On one of our many break ups what the first thing she would do, open her facebook page. start posting pictures of how happy she is and making all kind of comments. yes, I would check it and yes it always got under my skin. So when we break up I had to do might best not to check hers.
DeRetour

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Recently broke up from relationship

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »

Hey Reg,

Your subject line spoke to me immediately. I feel for you on this one. On the one hand, it's just FB, and like other social media, it can serve as an outlet for posting thoughts and ideas. Just the same, there's always that ambiguity of the intent of the posted content.

I'm one week out of a relationship. I'll post on that perhaps later today. But yes, I'm familiar with this behavior. My uBPD ex-GF was, is, active on Tumblr and Instagram. I've considered it, but I don't use Tumblr or Instagram. The thing that bothers me about this way of using social media is that someone can post (or re-post) something, provoke some responses, and step away and decide they were just "posting some thoughts... . after all you shouldn't take the Internet seriously."

The quotes you mentioned, I'm familiar with these kinds of quotes. I think it depends on who's posting them, of course. But from what you're describing, it sounds like she might be using them manipulatively. I'm certainly familiar with the use of quotes like this. Here are some of my ex's social media behaviors:

Instagram: She loves good food. This is something we shared. Almost every day, she'll post a photo of her meal. If she went out with her girl friends or sister, she might also post a photo of them laughing/having a good time at the restaurant. Something that really bothered me for months - if I took her out to a nice dinner, or we made something together, she'd take a photo, post it, and never include a shot of me. In the caption, it would read as though she had the dinner, with all the important pronouns ("We" went to ... . etc.) left out of the caption.

Months of tiptoeing around the subject, her blowing up about it, blaming me for treating her badly, even a 3-week breakup, and she finally agreed to start including photos of us together. She'd demean me and tell me it was shallow, but she'd do it since it was important to me. Looking back, her argument never made sense. She claimed to be private, but she'd post this stuff everyday. She'd post photos of her girl friends, but with me, her excuse was that it's "personal" - besides everyone knows about us, c'mon, etc. And if we got into an argument, she'd post a photo of "a better day" (ie., a day trip we took together) and might include in her caption that her day was really ___ty. Then, she could go to work, get all the pity from her friends/coworkers and hear all about how I made her depressed.

Tumblr: Ah. ":)eleted", what you described sounds familiar to my ex's Tumblr behavior. My ex would often re-post explicit images. They weren't personal, but they would still be provocative. To this day, I still don't know what sort of creepers this attracted. She'd claim it was just re-posting and no thought was really put into it. Whatever. Other times, things would seem great between us, and then sometime later that same night when she's home (lived with her parents), I'd discover a quote with something along the lines - I loved you. I gave you everything. or No one could save her. or Maybe someday we'll meet, when both of us is better... . somewhere, years later at a coffee shop. etc.

I know, ":)on't take the Internet seriously." But coming from her, it really kept me on edge. Was she trying to appear as though she was in distress as a way of inviting some rescuer to comfort her? Was she just posting something that she liked?

So... . with all of that in mind, i think it just depends on the person posting these things. Has your Ex had a history of using these things manipulatively? Mine swears that I'm misconstruing everything, that I "never really knew [her]." Here's how I deal with it: I just don't look at her page. But just know you aren't alone in dealing with this. Okay, hope this helps!

Suzn
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »

To help calm the urge to check it, I tell myself to think of it not as Facebook but as Fakebook.

This is a good strategy. What I like to tell myself is it would be stalker behavior if I were to continually browse my ex's facebook. Something I've read many, many times said about pwBPD here. My ex is blocked so I can't call her this. We are both safe from a stalker label. 

“Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others.” ~Jacob M. Braude
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest