Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 01:46:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Progress...  (Read 340 times)
Katy-Did

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 31, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »

Greetings!  The bitterness is all but gone--save a small, itsy-bitsy remnant which, by-the-way, could take hold if fed/watered.    Without going into too much detail, my dBPDh and I have been NC/LC---LC---LC with my uBPD FOO for 5 years.  There were a number of contributing factors---many connected to the BPD/UBPD dance.  My cousin's uBPDh, uBPDs and my dBPDh became attached at the hip, so-to-speak... . causing major conflict/strife in my cousin's world.   The result?  NC.   

This year has been an interesting one regarding their attempts to interact w/us.  Not as a couple, of course, but separately.  My cousin has stopped by my workplace for several brief visits.  She even brought by a birthday gift  (we both turned 50 this year).  Simultaneously, her uBPDh and my dBPDh have had several brief interactions... . even played golf together a time or two... . only when my cousin was out-of-town.  Being cool (click to insert in post) 

Before the "Break-Up", my cousin would call quite often to share whatever mini-drama was going on in her life.  I would listen, listen, and encourage, encourage... . being mindful to avoid slinging advice and exhibiting a judgmental attitude.  She hasn't done that in years... . I mean years.  Anyway, a couple of days ago, she called wanting to share and of course, I was willing to listen, listen and encourage, encourage... . being mindful to avoid shining a HUGE SPOTLIGHT ON THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM!  Yes, this is progress, I think.  Then again, I may not hear from her for 6 months.  But, that's how they roll. 

We're willing to reciprocate their attempts but refrain from initiating.  We were hurt.  We felt like we were judged, then "dumped" for the very same behavior patterns they exhibit.  Too much dysfunction in the same playpen, I suppose. 

Thoughts? 

P.F.Change
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »

What role did you play in the dysfunctional dance? What areas do you see in your life or skill set that you would like to improve?

How are you feeling about the relationship with your cousin right now?

Wishing you peace,

PF

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”--Lao Tzu
Katy-Did

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »

PFC--Thank you for responding.  I appreciate your ability to ask poignant questions which spark reflection and self-evaluation.

Answering the last question first while pondering (avoiding-- Smiling (click to insert in post)) the former, let me say I am pleased.  As long as my cousin continues to initiate, I will do my best to respond with temperance and respect.   However, the elephant still looms in the shadows and I don't know how long I can follow without at least, acknowledging its existence.   

More later... .

Katy-Did

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »

Ah... . Let's dive in.  "What role did you play in the dysfunctional dance?".  Good question.  Although I wasn't a "wallflower", my participation was selective.  I danced when I wanted, maintained my own "dance card" (agenda) but failed to "cut-in" when I should have.  My role?  Observer. 

As with most relatives, my cousin and I share several common personality traits but we differ greatly in our approach to dysfunctional behavior.   She labels.  I question. She debates.  I negotiate.  She directs.  I facilitate.  Both enablers; both tolerant of extreme behavior. However, when my dBPDh and her uBPDh/uBPDs started hanging out together on a regular basis, they began to undermine/challenge the boundaries... . mainly hers.  This created a need for teamwork and familial boundaries but I did little to help bring that about.  Why?  Again, a good question.

More later... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest