Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:59:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do they ever realize you did really love them?  (Read 553 times)
babushka

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 02, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »

Do people with BPD that had a stable, loving partner leave their lives ever realize they were truly loved? I feel like I gave unconditional love through a lot of storms (their storms) for a long time and just grew numb after a while and worn out from the pushed away and pulled back in. I left him... I don't know if that matters.
clover528

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »

I wonder this too. I used to believe he knew how much I loved him and still do if I am being honest. His view of love is so different than mine. I am guessing, all pwBPD view love differently than non's.  My ex viewed love as need. He told me that he felt if I didnt need him, I didnt love him. He even said he logically knew that wasnt true but it was how he felt. Now that I am painted black, I think all idea of love is gone from him. He spews toxic waste at me constantly. I still wish for him to know that I did love him. The sad part for us is that, we have to decides for ourselves that our love was true and let go of any notion that they will ever validate our feelings. They simply arent capable. We have to rest assured, in the knowledge we loved ourselves more than to allow anyone to hurt us. In the end, it will be that unconditional love, given to ourselves that will validate us.

Moonie75

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »

I think in their more lucid moments they do! But only lucid moments during the relationship, I'm really skeptical about what they might think during lucid moments post relationship. Post 'our relationship' their lucid moments are probably occupied by whoever's on there scene then. (Just the same as them thinking about us & not the ex when they were with us).

Moonie75

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »

Do they ever realize they almost make you hate them?

ObiRedKenobi

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

I've wondered this myself. I don't know if they ever do. They often have their defenses up to make us out to be the bad guy. I can't help but think that if they ever realized that we loved them that they would have realized it earlier and wouldn't have had the need for the constant testing and validation. Maybe those with treatment come to a realization like that but I don't think under other circumstances thats the case.
fromheeltoheal

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »

I don't think a person with BPD realizes when someone truly loves them because they are incapable of truly loving someone.  A BPD personality is emotionally arrested; the better I got to know mine, the younger she seemed emotionally.  Plus the disorder creates such a living hell for them that it's all they can do to focus on their own sht and work on keeping it together; mine was all take and no give, not because she was selfish especially, but because she couldn't handle her life on her own, and was looking for help, but not even knowing what the real problem is.

But she got the best of me, which I'm proud of considering the crap that came back to me, and I have a feeling that at some points post-relationship she thought of something I did or said and it struck her that she had it all and lost it.  And then the shame, guilt and self-loathing showed up, and I was made a monster once again as she coped.  Or not, but it's a nice fantasy, and she did get my best, which is more than enough.
thisyoungdad

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 01:27:19 AM »

I would hope she did or does, because part of me still does. Yet I honestly am not sure, I am kind of with someone else that in her more lucid moments I think she does know and that drives her shame for leaving which drives so much crazy behavior.
cska

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »

This thread topic is really painful for me... I did everything I could to help my ex, be there for her, soothe her, but she still e-mails me tell me that I abused her and that I'm an egotistical maniac. I know many of us also did a lot for out BPD significant others, just to be blamed that we don't do enough...

From my experience, here is what I think about whether pwBPD ever realize that we did really love them.

pwBPD are emotionally arrested; emotionally they are like children. (My ex certainly behaved in a childlike manner, right down to throwing temper tantrums.)

So imagine this scenario: a young child asks his mother for candy, and the mother gives him some. Then, he asks for more, and his mother declines. She does so in the child's own interests, so that he wouldn't develop diabetes, cavities etc. But the child thinks his mother is denying him candy because she wants to be cruel to him, because she hates him etc etc. So he will become upset, and might cry or throw a temper tantrum.

Will he understand that his mother denied him candy not because she was trying to be cruel but because she was looking out for him? Well, yes... when he becomes older and thus more emotionally mature, and old enough to understand that too much candy is bad.

So the tragedy is that emotionally, pwBPD are child-like. They are unable to understand that we DO love them (except for rare moments of clarity which, in my case, were very rare). Also, to acknowledge that we do love them would be to acknowledge that they hurt us and pushed us away. And to acknowledge that would cause them so much pain and guilt that their mind shifts the blame to us, in order to protect them from the pain that that realization would cause. It is a built in defense mechanism that their mind resorts to in order to protect them.

Reg

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »

cska,

Absolutely, they don't know love as we know love, so as they don't know what love can really be, they don't know how our love must feel.  They got stuck in early childhood.

This may be confronting to hear, but it's reality I'm afraid.

Reg
Perfidy

Relationship status: Divorced/18 years Single/5 months that I know of.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »

Do you realize it was unhealthy? It could not have been love. Love is healthy
simplyasiam

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »

i know my ex SO knows i love her and knows she loves me. she in a place where she feel the ppl that love her are better off without her couse she may hurt again.

its a sad life for them and us at times. we have some waht of a way out if we take it.

they can be stuck in this living hell for life.

i feel for and pray to GOD everyday for everyone living with BPD and thier familys.
cska

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »

AsIAm, so your ex doesn't rage at you and blame you for everything?

And yes, indeed they have a damn heavy burden to bear.
Undone123

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46:20 PM »

We learn "love"... . I know what love is because I am loved by my family. I love them, they love me. I can be an idiot, and they still love me, they can be idiots and I still love them. No matter what my family love me, and I learnt this. I learnt the behavior and how to identify that feeling.

I've read lots about how "when the BPD loves they really love"... . I don't believe a word of it. Love endures good and bad, sickness and health, it supports and nurtures. My ex was not capable of this. She was bought up tragically in a fairly loveless environment (according to her), but I never saw any love in her family. When my mother would give her a kiss or a cuddle after not seeing her for a few weeks, she found it alien... . So I don't think they actually, genuinely love at all. I think they mirror their perception of it... . So I don't think they ever understand that we loved them, because they don't really know what love is.

imstronghere2

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:37 AM »

Oddly enough, at our first of only four marriage counselor sessions (that I arranged) after my exwBPD's affair was exposed and major S*** had hit the fan, she stated "I knew he loved me but I just didn't know how much".   Which was a complete and utter lie as I told her every day that I loved her and gave her all the attention and affection that I could.  What I came to find out was that she equated being loved with being controlled and possessed like a piece of property.  Something her now NPD husband did to her that I would never consider doing to anyone.  You don't treat humans as property and control their whole lives.  That's demented. 
Learning_curve74

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »

What I came to find out was that she equated being loved with being controlled and possessed like a piece of property.  Something her now NPD husband did to her that I would never consider doing to anyone.  You don't treat humans as property and control their whole lives.  That's demented. 

Is that what she learned from her childhood growing up? It may sound wrong to you and me, but maybe that is what she observed and learned.

mcc503764

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »

Good topic this morning -

This is the truth of my situation... . My x didn't know what "love" is... . She was incapable of RECIPROCATING anything!  She knew about HER needs, her wants, but didn't know how to be a true partner... . a wife... . a step mother to my children... .

Her being a "marriage and family therapist," only made the contradiction of her prof life / personal life that much more of a mental rubix cube! 

She knew better, that's the part that still stings me.  She knew about BPD (obviously,) but would refuse to admit to it.  Taking ownership to it would have only added to her shame / professional shame.  What's in her head I cannot concern myself with... . I have moved on... .

So in her case, I see her as a malicious tramp.  There is no excuse.  For some who don't know any better it is one thing, but mine had no excuse to do the damage that she did!

She wouldn't accept my love... . she always said she felt unworthy of love because of her core belief that she wasn't good enough for it... . Is that real or some of her psychobabble?  Who knows?  Who Cares?  I cant allow her anymore space in my head!

MCC
Perfidy

Relationship status: Divorced/18 years Single/5 months that I know of.

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »

Right! Ha! It's not even about them any more. At this point who cares about them. It's me that needs the healing from my part of the crap. I am burning the bridge. No contact no social media. It feels much better that picking the scabs off a wound. I am so done! Stick a fork in me! I'm done. This time in my life is for me now to grieve the DEAD relationship. The death of a dream of happily ever after with a tormented soul. Yes... Depression, suicidal thoughts, unfocused behavior... . All mine. It is a process of grief. My intellect says that it is the healthiest thing ever for me to be out of this crazy borderline psychotic relationship. My heart is a moron. I want some more pain!
Tordesillas

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »

Because people with BPD are most drawn to those who trigger their fears and anxiety the LEAST, it's safe to say that those of us who were truly loving (patient, kind, compassionate etc) probably occupy a special place in their heart because of that.  Even when/if we're being painted black, there is always the likely possibility of them having moments where they remember how nice it was that we didn't make them feel absolutely terrible.  It's definitely not the same as them having a healthy appreciation of being loved, but it's something.   
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »

Because people with BPD are most drawn to those who trigger their fears and anxiety the LEAST, it's safe to say that those of us who were truly loving (patient, kind, compassionate etc) probably occupy a special place in their heart because of that.  Even when/if we're being painted black, there is always the likely possibility of them having moments where they remember how nice it was that we didn't make them feel absolutely terrible.  It's definitely not the same as them having a healthy appreciation of being loved, but it's something.   

Nice
Undone123

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

Is there any correlation between how much they "loved" you and how much they "hate" you now?

Because at the moment, I feel pretty hated. But at the time, I felt immensely loved (in the good moments)

babushka

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »

Thank you all for your input! It has been immensely grounding to read everyone's experiences and thoughts. I am at one week no contact. It is getting easier to ignore the text messages and go about my life. Spent the day with friends yesterday and it dawned on my that I was actually somewhat relaxed and not worried about being a slave to my cellphone. One consequence of having been in a relationship with a BPD is I hate my cellphone!
cska

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »

Yes, yes, yes, yes, I've grown to hate my cellphone as well; I was also a slave to it! god help me if I take more than 5 minutes to respond to her texts. Now I absolutely cannot stand texting!
Hazelrah

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 07:34:43 PM »

Thank you all for your input! It has been immensely grounding to read everyone's experiences and thoughts. I am at one week no contact. It is getting easier to ignore the text messages and go about my life. Spent the day with friends yesterday and it dawned on my that I was actually somewhat relaxed and not worried about being a slave to my cellphone. One consequence of having been in a relationship with a BPD is I hate my cellphone!

Holy cow, you too?  When I was apart from BPDw, God help me if I missed a text (I almost NEVER did) or didn't reply within a given timeframe.  Conversely, if I didn't take the initiative and reach out myself, I'd also find myself painted black.  She seemingly always equated the number of texts I sent when I was away with the amount of love I felt for her.  If I was swamped at work and couldn't shoot a quick "I love you" in the middle of the day, she would be likely to hold it against me until I was able to make up for it the next day, which I inevitably would.  It got to the point where I'd be checking my cell any time I had a free sec, just to make sure I wasn't 'ignoring' her.

It's still that way--if I don't respond to some cold-hearted text in the requisite period of time (usually about an hour), she's following up and asking me if I received her initial message.  At this point, I find the ability to turn the phone completely off quite liberating.  
imstronghere2

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 06:06:24 AM »

Is that what she learned from her childhood growing up? It may sound wrong to you and me, but maybe that is what she observed and learned.

You know, I think so actually.  I came into her life only a few months before her father died so I didn't get a chance to see first hand how the interaction was between her parents but I did spend the next 22 years becoming very close to her mother.  During those years of conversations I gleaned that it was very much a one sided relationship where her mother was overly submissive.  In fact, my exwBPD's first husband (I was #2) was very much like the POS NPD she's with now.  Overly controlling and possessive and she stated to me not long after she moved out, that's what she needs to feel loved.

To which I say "have at it" because I will never be that way and I certainly didn't raise our children to accept that as OK.  Our daughter is fiercely independent and our son (which I have sole custody of) is growing up being forced to be extremely independent because we only have each other now.

findingmyselfagain

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »

I think the fact that we love them *IS* the problem. After our disaster ended, long story short, I asked some friends who knew us at the time and some people that worked with her. They all told me she pretty much thought I was wonderful. They all agreed that she had an "extreme" relationship history in which she was NEVER able to be friendly with any of her ex's. Things were chaos with the next guy as well. When she wasn't doing well after our wedding shower, I told her I liked her and she'd reply in a very child-like voice... . I knoow you do. She said she tried doing better but every time she thought she was doing better, something bad happened. She also said one of my issues was that I complimented her too much... . wth? She expected everyone to compliment her. It's been difficult for me because I truly loved her and saw a future with her. I managed to find her blog and I've since discovered that the black/white/push/pull I saw at the end of the relationship is who she really is. She loves, but it's very childlike and immature... . more like a high school crush, but not even that mature. It's best for us to put them behind us and work on ourselves.
mcc503764

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »

She loves, but it's very childlike and immature... . more like a high school crush, but not even that mature. It's best for us to put them behind us and work on ourselves.

I've been saying this exact thing for years!  Very childish r/s... . NO communication / mature coping skills, NO accountability, NO responsibility... . I was raising three kids!  (full custody of my 2 from my previous marriage.)  Her friends have said that even to this day, her life revolves around boys and still continues the same behavior that she did when she was a kid... .

It's IMPOSSIBLE to keep trying to rationalize with a child.  You will drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it!  All you can do is put it behind you and move forward!

MCC

Ironmanrises

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »

Only when it serves their purpose.

Only for x period of time.

Or you can simplify it like this... .

No.

bpdspell

Relationship status: Married.

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »

Quite honestly... .what does love mean to a person who hates themselves? Can a toxic heart receive what it cannot fully give?

They are too controlled by their disorder to fully actualize the amount of love we poured into them.

Their capacity to receive love is also severely limited due to their stunted child minds, their low self worth and their shame vortex. Love cannot fix or make amends personal history. They were sick before we met them and without treatment they will continue to be unstable.

We may have loved them deeply but they're too sick to receive, experience and reciprocate that love on a mature emotional level.

My ex knew I loved him. He said so and he saw it in my eyes. But did that stop him from being triggered? Hell to the no. Did it stop him from being dsyregulated? Did my love empower him to pack his mental illness in a storage? No and no.

Spell

jollygreen

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:05 AM »

I'm not sure either.  But I had a thought about relating this to how my ex's parents may have showed her love growing up.  She was an only child, very bratty in some ways.  I think she developed an idea of love from the actions of her parents doing and getting whatever she wanted and also having all attention focused on her.  This was love to her I think.
gallerykey

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 05:15:35 AM »

I cant decide on this one. Im sure he knew I loved him as he would often say you really must love me to put up with all the s**t i put you through. But at the same time Im not sure he knew what love was. His r/s with his mum is she buys him stuff or gives him money and hes happy, this was her way of loving him when younger so this is what i believe he thinks love is. I would often buy him things and help him with money as this soothed him, he saw this as my love rather than how i felt.

Still hurting too much to decide on this one... .
myself

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »

Yes, but No.

Yes, because they can tell it's different than the 'bad love' they got as children.

No, because they can't trust it so turn against it.

Yes, they are open enough to recognize it.

No, they're too closed off to accept your sincerity.

Yes, if asked, they would say you that No you do not really love them.

Emelie Emelie

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »

I think he knew I loved him very much.  But he couldn't trust that love.  Couldn't trust that it would "stay".  That was the recurring theme in our relationship... ."You'll get tired of my BS and leave me." 
Ironmanrises

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »

I think he knew I loved him very much.  But he couldn't trust that love.  Couldn't trust that it would "stay".  That was the recurring theme in our relationship... ."You'll get tired of my BS and leave me.

That.

In bold.

My exUBPDgf told me the same exact thing in both rounds of relationship.

And both times... .

She left me.

Emelie Emelie

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »

Ironman:  He left me too.
grad

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:06 PM »

I think he knew I loved him very much.  But he couldn't trust that love.  Couldn't trust that it would "stay".  That was the recurring theme in our relationship... ."You'll get tired of my BS and leave me."  

Of course many times they know you love them but that's not the issue.  The issue is trust and commitment, and when they feel that vulnerability  (don't feel good enough, won't tolerate their b/s, will find better, etc.) their anxiety starts to overwhelm them because abandonment thoughts ensue and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

They just haven't learned how to manage/cope with the these fears like normal people.  If they can't control you, they try to test you and/or leave you.  That's the end game.  It's not for their own entertainment, it's just their self-defense mechanism.

Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »

I feel like I gave unconditional love through a lot of storms (their storms)

In hindsight my 'love' for my ex was conditional. I tried to change him way too many times to count. So I really question whether in fact it was love at all. 2 years out I am convinced it was not unconditional love.

Unconditional love is affection without limitations - there were plenty of limitations - I withdrew affection and communication, I was passive aggressive in many ways and I expected him to be something he was not... .thats not unconditional. Feelings towards my partner would flip flop daily! Some days I wondered why I was with him, how I could be with him, how I could be intimate with him. Some days I wanted to run, hide, fight back - and sometimes I fought back with gusto!... .thats not unconditional love.

Love is not enough! Was it really love to begin with... .or need for both! Ever wondered why its so hard to 'get over' a BPD relationship!

slimmiller

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 04:42:54 AM »

For me its also not only did she know that I loved her at the time but also what does she think looking back in hindsight of our relationship (provided she ever does which I kind of doubt since she has moved to the next one).

I tend to think she has a filter in her mind that she runs everything through, especially when we talk/argue about something about the kids you can see it in her eyes when she 'reframes', and runs what she heard into her brain how she WANTS to hear it and then completely distorts it. Its almost like she also filters her memories and recollections as well (How many times do you see distorted memories coming from them? Things that never happened etc)

So I dont think its always about how they feel/remember but how well they distort what goes into or out of their memory. They twist/distort facts to fit the agenda at the moment. Its a coping mechanism
mcc503764

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »

I'm not sure either.  But I had a thought about relating this to how my ex's parents may have showed her love growing up.  She was an only child, very bratty in some ways.  I think she developed an idea of love from the actions of her parents doing and getting whatever she wanted and also having all attention focused on her.  This was love to her I think.

Same situation with mine.  It was almost as if she were raised with a sense of entitlement, never had to work for anything as everything was provided for her... .

I did try and change her.  I needed the r/s to be a team, together.  The more and more I reflect, I remember things that she had said.  Key words if you will... .but at the time, I didn't know of BPD... .She dropped many "hints" of it, so to speak, but again I didn't know any better... .

Mine definitely had selective hearing.  I could pour my heart out to her, and she would only pick out everything that applied to HER and ultimately make MY feelings all about HER... .

But, at this point, I have to ask myself, "does it really matter?"  All I can go from are the actions, and that's it.  We all know that the "words" are lies that are only used to try and get what they want/need at the time...

I did love her to the best of my abilities.  She couldn't see it, nor appreciate it... .but that's HER inventory, not mine.

I understand her coping mechanism, as I saw the twisting of facts to fit her at the moment.  It's sad... .a shame if you will, and not because I'm not with her, but it's sad to see another person have to go through life like this... .

MCC

turtle
Retired Staff

Relationship status: I am happily single -- live alone and love it.

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »

I don't know if he ever realized I loved him.

Over the years, I've had to really question if I did.  At the time, you couldn't have convinced me that I didn't.  I mean... .I luuuuvvvvved him and NO ONE could have told me differently.

However... .looking back... .what we had was not "love."  It was some kind of twisted enmeshment.  When I look at the relationship, it was not "love" -- at least not the kind of "love" that is healthy or reciprocal.  And the truth is, I didn't know anymore about "love" than he did.  I might not have been as horrible as he was, and sure, I'd like to think I was more enlightened than he was, but the fact that I stayed in that nightmare as long as I did proves that I knew no more about "love" than he did.  If I had loved myself, I would have NEVER gotten caught up in that mess in the first place.

So... ."love."  It's a hard word to define.  :)oes he realize I "loved" him?  How could he?  What we had was not "love."  If that was "love," I want no part of it.  And that includes HIS behavior as well as MINE.

turtle

mcc503764

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

That's an excellent point!

As my xBPD (therapist) told me how we had a trauma bond... .makes sense.  As we were together through multiple deaths and situations.  I guess I thought those situations would allow us to grow stronger as a couple?  Just the opposite... .

MCC
leftbehind

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »

I often wonder this.  When my ex was breaking up with me, I was crying hysterically, and he calmly told me that no one else had ever appreciated him as much as I had.  That was supposed to be my parting gift - my consolation prize.  I made him feel appreciated.  I guess because I kept telling him how wonderful I felt he was (and I sincerely meant it.)

But is that the same as him knowing how much I loved him?  The fact that I can't hate him or wish him ill after all that he's done to me?  The fact that I still think he's just a flawed human being, even throughout his calculated behavior?

I believe he doesn't think of me at all.  Like someone else said earlier in this thread, they think about the one they're with at the moment.  Like a shark, constantly moving forward or else they die. 

Sorry to be overdramatic.  I'm having a really sh**ty week.

And you know what's messed up?  My birthday is coming up soon, and I check the mailbox every day to see if he'll send me a card!  How delusional!  I so want to believe that I meant "Something" to him.

fromheeltoheal

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »

I often wonder this.  When my ex was breaking up with me, I was crying hysterically, and he calmly told me that no one else had ever appreciated him as much as I had.  That was supposed to be my parting gift - my consolation prize.  I made him feel appreciated.  I guess because I kept telling him how wonderful I felt he was (and I sincerely meant it.)

But is that the same as him knowing how much I loved him?  The fact that I can't hate him or wish him ill after all that he's done to me?  The fact that I still think he's just a flawed human being, even throughout his calculated behavior?

I believe he doesn't think of me at all.  Like someone else said earlier in this thread, they think about the one they're with at the moment.  Like a shark, constantly moving forward or else they die. 

And you know what's messed up?  My birthday is coming up soon, and I check the mailbox every day to see if he'll send me a card!  How delusional!  I so want to believe that I meant "Something" to him.

Have you heard that BPD's are thought of as model citizens by folks who don't know them well, and those in intimate relationships with them are the only ones who see the dark side?  That was my consolation and validation, the fact that I got in deep enough and mattered enough to my BPD ex that I triggered the traits and saw the ugliness in full bloom.  Admittedly not much of a prize, but that's all the validation we're going to get: we mattered enough to trigger and get drawn into the push/pull ugliness of the disorder.  It also gave me some compassion for her, to see how she sees the world and in a sense experience how it felt for her in her childhood, no wonder she talks about killing herself a lot.
Ironmanrises

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »

Have you heard that BPD's are thought of as model citizens by folks who don't know them well, and those in intimate relationships with them are the only ones who see the dark side?  That was my consolation and validation, the fact that I got in deep enough and mattered enough to my BPD ex that I triggered the traits and saw the ugliness in full bloom.  Admittedly not much of a prize, but that's all the validation we're going to get: we mattered enough to trigger and get drawn into the push/pull ugliness of the disorder.  It also gave me some compassion for her, to see how she sees the world and in a sense experience how it felt for her in her childhood, no wonder she talks about killing herself a lot.

That.

In bold.

For me, that was one of the most maddening... .

Disheartening things I experienced with my exUBPDgf.

I wanted to scream when I saw that.

Those other people... .

Will never know her.

They only know the hologram.

Doppelgänger.

turtle
Retired Staff

Relationship status: I am happily single -- live alone and love it.

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »

Had to look up ":)oppelgänger."

I love words and always look up words I am unfamiliar with.

Here's the definition:

A ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts its fleshly counterpart.

Wow.  GREAT word.

turtle

Ironmanrises

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 06:24:52 PM »

Turtle,

Thank you.

We get the fleshy version... .

Everyone else around them gets the ghostly double.

This is probably one of the main reasons why so many with that disorder do not get treatment.

A perpetual propping up by the enabling family/friends of my exUBPDgf will only fuel her to never seek help.

Those enabling friends/family unwittingly contribute to all the destruction that is left in the wake.

Not saying it is their fault... .

But they certainly do not help matters.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Had to let that out.

mcc503764

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »

I like the shark analogy... .it really sums it up well... .They will think of us, when/if they need something.  Other than that, I would assume that she is with her new supply, so life is "puppies and kittens" for her right now.

Today is actually my birthday, and I've kinda found myself looking over my shoulder the past couple of days.  I am not saying that I want her to contact me, I just guess I want to try and remain vigilant. 

I think that sending a card or a text would be a normal action for someone.  But the more I think about it, I have come to the realization that during my last contact with her, I told her how I didn't want to hang onto the anger/hate from the r/s any longer.  It was bringing me down too much. 

Obviously she is still harboring those feelings, and the fact that she hasn't attempted contact for my birthday, shows it... .

In her world, I have to be the "demon," otherwise how could she begin to justify her actions?  How else could she be the "victim?"

Same cycle, same pattern... .wash, rinse, repeat... .

MCC
estee

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »

Do people with BPD that had a stable, loving partner leave their lives ever realize they were truly loved? I feel like I gave unconditional love through a lot of storms (their storms) for a long time and just grew numb after a while and worn out from the pushed away and pulled back in. I left him... I don't know if that matters.

I'm fascinated and relieved to have come across this string. I've often wondered if I was the only one who is so bothered (to put it mildly) that my ex boyfriend questioned whether I loved him. We had a brief but intense (of course) relationship that I was constantly trying to regulate (take it slower so that we could really get to know each other) but that he wanted to go full steam ahead with. Obviously, the highs were very high but I also wanted to know him and talk more deeply, which is something he couldn't do. If I ever needed alone time or time with friends (which actually wasn't too often and has never been an "issue" in any other relationship), he took it as rejection. He pulled a Jeckyl/Hyde on me after 4 months of dating and it was all down hill from there with accusations that I never loved him, while he said he loved me from the start. It wasn't true. I did love him even though I had doubts about his ability to be truly close. To him it was not an option to have shades of gray and the desire for a deeper relationship. (Let's face it, the mirroring was amazing and because of it I had the confused feeling of having found my soul mate despite my doubts. What a mind f***.)

Anyway, I knew something was very wrong and after talking to my therapist and reading a lot I realized it was BPD. In the end I knew he was broken and ill and I ended it with a letter when he was giving me the silent treatment and wouldn't return my calls. In the letter, I was so compassionate and I tried to understand him and show him real love before it ended. I simply HATE that he questioned my sincerity. It's like I was completely invalidated and I might as well have been an ass to him.

He once told me when we were trying to patch up what was clearly unpatchable that I was "a very special person" because I was showing him the kind of love that tries to understand and doesn't lash back, but at the same time he saw that I was standing up for myself. I don't think he had ever experienced that combination. I really think he meant that in the moment (that I was special). But I hate that he never fought for me in the end, for us, when I was supposedly his true love. And I really hate that he never appreciated the extent of my love for him... .the kind that saw through to his essence and so wanted him to be healthy and able to be in a real relationship with me.

I wonder if because he never understood my love for him that he also never understood how much he devastated me. I often wish I had just lambasted him and told him he was an ass instead of writing that I was "above all a friend" and knew he was going through a lot of pain, just as I was too. Too nice. Way too nice. I thought maybe he'd get help and we would at least be able to be talk again no matter what the outcome... .because I loved him as a whole person not an obsession. To this day I want to scream and say "how dare you treat me like I was less than human and that your feelings were the only ones that mattered... .and like I didn't even have feelings even though you watched me sob!" It just makes me feel like the love and sincerity and effort were completely for naught and makes me feel so incredibly cheated out of having him acknowledge my essence and love when I went out of my way to acknowledge his. I just wish he were capable of contacting me one day and saying "I knew you loved me and really tried to make it work. I just couldn't let myself be loved by you." But I know that will never happen. I hope a healthy relationship will someday take away all this pain that still lingers from feeling that I was sucked dry emotionally and never acknowledged for what I felt for him and the compassion I gave to him.
Ironmanrises

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 10:14:39 AM »

I'm fascinated and relieved to have come across this string. I've often wondered if I was the only one who is so bothered (to put it mildly) that my ex boyfriend questioned whether I loved him. We had a brief but intense (of course) relationship that I was constantly trying to regulate (take it slower so that we could really get to know each other) but that he wanted to go full steam ahead with. Obviously, the highs were very high but I also wanted to know him and talk more deeply, which is something he couldn't do. If I ever needed alone time or time with friends (which actually wasn't too often and has never been an "issue" in any other relationship), he took it as rejection. He pulled a Jeckyl/Hyde on me after 4 months of dating and it was all down hill from there with accusations that I never loved him, while he said he loved me from the start. It wasn't true. I did love him even though I had doubts about his ability to be truly close. To him it was not an option to have shades of gray and the desire for a deeper relationship. (Let's face it, the mirroring was amazing and because of it I had the confused feeling of having found my soul mate despite my doubts. What a mind f***.)

Anyway, I knew something was very wrong and after talking to my therapist and reading a lot I realized it was BPD. In the end I knew he was broken and ill and I ended it with a letter when he was giving me the silent treatment and wouldn't return my calls. In the letter, I was so compassionate and I tried to understand him and show him real love before it ended. I simply HATE that he questioned my sincerity. It's like I was completely invalidated and I might as well have been an ass to him.

He once told me when we were trying to patch up what was clearly unpatchable that I was "a very special person" because I was showing him the kind of love that tries to understand and doesn't lash back, but at the same time he saw that I was standing up for myself. I don't think he had ever experienced that combination. I really think he meant that in the moment (that I was special). But I hate that he never fought for me in the end, for us, when I was supposedly his true love. And I really hate that he never appreciated the extent of my love for him... .the kind that saw through to his essence and so wanted him to be healthy and able to be in a real relationship with me.

I wonder if because he never understood my love for him that he also never understood how much he devastated me. I often wish I had just lambasted him and told him he was an ass instead of writing that I was "above all a friend" and knew he was going through a lot of pain, just as I was too. Too nice. Way too nice. I thought maybe he'd get help and we would at least be able to be talk again no matter what the outcome... .because I loved him as a whole person not an obsession. To this day I want to scream and say "how dare you treat me like I was less than human and that your feelings were the only ones that mattered... .and like I didn't even have feelings even though you watched me sob!" It just makes me feel like the love and sincerity and effort were completely for naught and makes me feel so incredibly cheated out of having him acknowledge my essence and love when I went out of my way to acknowledge his. I just wish he were capable of contacting me one day and saying "I knew you loved me and really tried to make it work. I just couldn't let myself be loved by you." But I know that will never happen. I hope a healthy relationship will someday take away all this pain that still lingers from feeling that I was sucked dry emotionally and never acknowledged for what I felt for him and the compassion I gave to him.

In bold.

I just cried reading that.

The cruel paradox of all of this.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest