Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:56:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you have questions, don't be afraid to research...  (Read 354 times)
Hydroman

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: September 22, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

I am a scientis, by my name, a Hydrologist.  My wife of 11 yrs of marriage and 3 children has BPD and bipolar disorder (both diagnosed) with the symptoms manifesting 3 years ago.

I would like to share my story to date.  When my wife was discharged from the hospital the very first time after attempting suicide and this is when we found out Axis I was "severe bipolar" and Axis II Borderline Personality Disorder, along with being an alcoholic.  The hospital just discharged her, no suggestion, no "she should be in a DBT class"  nothing.  In Fact, the doctors, thanks to the new HIPPA laws, won't even talk to me about her-yet they send the bills to me without reservation.  So with bipolar, the meds weren't right and she ended up back in the hospital several times until they finally got them right-its more art than science.  In the mean time, no guidence on when to put her back in the hospital, what warning flags to watch for, suggestions for dealing with BPD-nothing.   Once they got the meds right and the bipolar symptoms went away, the BPD really manifest itself.   It wasn't until I went to a therapist that she,indirectly figured out what was going on and told me to get her to a therapist who specialized in DBT.  

In the mean time, my wife questioned her sexual orientation and was at odds within herself not know who she was and hating herself for being married and 3 children and possibly being gay.   No guidence from psychiatrist, therapist, no one.  

As a scientist, I started researching.  I understand no 1 person can know everything about a disorder.  I came from a research background and was very willing to admit I don't know something about my field but would research it out and find an answer.   The current medical community, although required to do so many hours of training a year, do NOT keep up with thier field.  Once they pass the boards, they might read a little but not much more.  

My research has turned up several recent articles in major psychiatric journals suggesting that questioning ones sexual orientation is common to borderlines.  I have turned up lots of information I found helpful that was never passed on to my by the "professionals".  

BPD really hasn't been recognized as a disorder very long.  Lenihans papers came out in the early 1990's.  A lot has been learned but there is so much more to learn about the disorder.   The therapist and psychiatrist know the basics of the disorder but unless this is the specialty of thier practice, I doubt they know many of the details of the disorder that we as the significant other of the person with the disorder need/want to know.  

My whole point to all of this post is to say to everyone, if you have questions, don't be afraid to research, most likely, if the therapist can't answer, its because they don't know.  The answer may be know and it takes you to go out and find it out.  Knowing does make a difference and helps.  

Best of luck to all of you

Hydroman
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »

Hi Hydroman 

Thank you for sharing. I think you're right in saying that not every therapist is well versed in BPD. It's good to hear that you're researching and finding information on your own, too. We have an thread on Which online resources are reputable and which are not

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest