Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:14:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 16yr old daughter need RTC opinions on Solstice in Utah and discovery for girls  (Read 1741 times)
Chuck50

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 29, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »

I would like to hear the good, bad, and ugly on the places even if it's hearsay it's better than the dearth of info on many of these facilities save their website/sales brochure.

I did manage to find something rather disturbing about the highly touted New Haven RTC... .They want you to sign a temporary Power of Attorney of the child over to them. Talked to an admissions rep myself today and  amidst the hemming and hawing and excuses about protecting the child during their many outings, he confirmed it.  Wow.

My daughter was at Timberline Knolls last summer and we didn't have to do that.

I am new here , but I have already seen a population of brave and loving parents.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »

Hi Chuck,

Glad you are here looking for input.

Has your d16 been diagnosed with BPD or traits?

I went through an exhaustive search for an RTC for my daughter 3 years or so ago.  I did not choose Timberline Knolls or New Haven nor did I choose Solstice or Discovery. 

Is it a DBT environment that you are looking for or has she already been through an RTC DBT experience at TK?

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Chuck50

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »

Yes BPD traits.

I have read many of your posts on Falcon Ridge and really wanted it as one of our top 3  but alas there are three making a decision on where to send my daughter and (for now) FR is not a front runner ... .expert got minimal feedback and some very minor criticisms from colleagues.

Recent information about the sole psychiatrist at Sunrise (all documented if you know where to look) has made that place slip down a few notches and I did read about your visit there as well.

We are in TN and Solstice has a new branch in NC so we want to look into that.

Anyone heard anything?
Chuck50

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

DBT was done at Timberline but their whole approach was far too passive, especially letting my daughter sleep until 3 in the afternoon (!) if she chose not to get up on her own.

So we do want more, better DBT
ilusa26

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »

Besides this board which site good to do research for rtc?

I would really like to know.

Thanks.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »

Hi ulisa,

I used the NATSAP website.  All the programs there are accredited educational facilities so all credits transfer.  Being a year behind in school because you were in an RTC would be another obstacle to overcome for our kids... .wanted to head that off at the pass.

The NATSAP site gives a brief description of the program, location, and usually contact information or links to the different programs that carry their certification.

There are over 200 programs listed.  That is why I developed a search criteria... .to weed out the one's that didn't fit right off the bat.  Kind of like Chuck who does not want a co ed program.  I didn't either... that narrowed it down considerably. 

ilusa26

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »

Thanks for your reply.  My daughter is 29, NATSAP wont help me, if you know of any site that i can serch for adults, please let me know.

thanks.
crumblingdad

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »

Just a word of warning on RTC's as I've been doing extensive research of late for my DD16.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU CHOOSE!

There are numerous RTC's out there with allegations of abuse, lawsuits, and some very questionable tactics in how they deal with BPD adolescents and adults and other issues.    Do some googling on WWASP and you will find after the lawsuits and shut downs of those RTC programs many of those accused of abuse within that organization simply went out and started new facilities under new names.

I don't know much about New Haven but a power of attorney seems extreme and I can't think of a good reason any RTC would need that or want one if they intend to truly work closely with the family which I believe is ESSENTIAL.   I've found some very controversial info out there on things that I know may have worked for others like Positive Peer Culture therapy, that many debate is another form of a confrontational therapy which has shown limited or no true therapeutic value.  I would also be weary of any facility recommending transporter services.

Timberline mentioned above went through some very controversial allegations. NATSAP is questioned as simply a membership driven program that has been criticized by child abuse advocates and congress as well as the GAO for defending programs and simply letting anyone who pays their dues get listed as a NATSAP approved RTC. My findings in research has been that NATSAP does not evaluate, monitor, or enforce standards for child safety, educational quality or therapeutic effectiveness.  I would recommend looking at sites like ASTART Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic & Appropriate Use of Residential Treatment (astartforteens.org) and use your judgment.

It's easy to read the RTC websites and think all is well and good but having nearly dumped several tens of thousands into a facility highly recommended within this message board. I kept researching only to find their sister facility has been criticized and faced multiple lawsuits and abuse allegations.  I was glad I did more thorough research.  I can't say what could have or would have happened or if  my concern is misplaced but to me I'm not going to send my child to facilities with question marks or ties to anything that has been controversial in terms of abuse allegations.

There is also a fair amount of info on a site I found called HEAL-online.org with a watch list of programs much of which does appear biased and inflammatory but it's pretty frightening stuff.  Go out and read up on WWASP survivor sites and facebook pages and do your homework is all I can recommend as I've been doing a ton over the last month or two.

One facility I am currently looking into is Cottonwood de Tucson in Tucson, AZ and may be using an interventionist for my DD16 in hopes to get her treatment (co-occuring uBPD, PTSD, Anxiety and heroin abuse)there very soon - they have both adult facilities and a newer Sweetwater adolescent girls faciltiy and came highly recommended from a well recognized and esteemed therapist who has had a fair amount of experience with patients who went there.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »

It is very important to do your homework, to look at all information on the internet with a critical eye.  You can't rely on internet information to make these very important decisions.  There are sites on the internet that bash any and all facilities simply because they appose the use of them and deem them all inherently abusive.

Doing a google search of a facility can bring up facebook posts by former residents that did not use their time in a facility to their benefit.  Even parents will post negative comments because they believe the facility took their money and didn't help their child.  Maybe this is true... .maybe it is not true.  No way to know.

The best resource is the parents whose children have been in the program in the past and the parents of children currently enrolled.  One of the things I found to instill confidence is visiting a facility personally.  Meeting the treatment team and interacting with them.  Do they pander to you or ask you hard questions?  Do they allow the students to interact with you at will?... .at all?... .do they choose who you get to speak with? 

I hope that referring members to the NATSAP website was not taken as an endorsement of their oversight value.  It is simply a listing service of their members and having the accreditation for the educational piece means credits will transfer back home... .at least where I live.

I would also caution not to interpret a lawsuit as proof of guilt.  Anyone can file a lawsuit... .founded or unfounded in hopes of monetary gain or justice... .no way to know for sure.

The key is to do all you can to make a well balanced and wise choice.  It is our responsibility as parents.  No exceptions.

Someday . . .

Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »

Chuck, I had a friends daughter do a year at New Haven in 2009-2010.  She was diagnosed BPD and a couple of therapists said that she was 'the worse case' they had seen.  I know that when she left she was doing much better and from my knowledge is continuing to do 'ok' (I believe that she is now a junior at college).   Let me know if you would like more info as I will contact the mother for specifics.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest