Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 01:27:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: after about 30 texts last night and this morning. This is what I sent to him  (Read 452 times)
Iwalk-Heruns

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 08:47:27 AM »

Feeling anger is a natural human response to a terrible wrong done to us and acknowledging that is a healthy part of healing. That is why it is recognized as one of the stages of grieving. If you repress and deny that you stay stuck and never heal. That is why you see bitter people for years. I believe one of the ways problems growing up surface is when we are taught that feeling angry is bad. It brings shame when there should be none. Of course we have to make distinctions between justified anger and unjustified and of course how we display it.

My ex raging at me because I didn't like a movie he did. Unjustified. He abusing me, lying cheating and discarding me without compassion. Justified. There is just no comparison. I don't care if we should have seen the red flags or not. We did not deserve that.

Also, mental illness or not they know very well what they are doing to us! They have maladaptive coping skills... .They are not insane.
Suzn
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »

Can u tell i am angry. I no longer care if i trigger him  don't care that its a mental issue

I don't buy it. I think you care very much.  

I don't think mine could share a plant with me 

And that just sucks! Doesn't it? Wouldn't it be great if things were different? You mention AA... .

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference."

dvr anger is a secondary emotion. Something else, another emotion, happens first and anger can be easy to go to, it's an emotion for protection. If stuck in anger, the emotion triggered first is never expressed or expelled. Generally, it's hurt/sadness. It hurts when we love someone and they hurt us. His disorder is based on fear and emotional immaturity/disregulation. It is a disorder. Would adjusting our expectations of someone with a disorder be possible?

Are you "lashing out" towards him because you wish things were different and that hurts? This would certainly make sense. He can't change without recognizing and accepting the disorder and you can't change him. You can however learn the communication skills necessary to improve the relationship if you want that. Plenty of members over on the Staying Board that can help you if that's what you chose. If not that's ok too, we will support you either way.

If you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. ~Dalai Lama

“Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others.” ~Jacob M. Braude
connect

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »

Hi DRV,

I am in "staying" but look in here sometimes.

What you said:

Excerpt
Do you know i inherited a home from a fellow employee. I was shocked. He took that and said i prey on the elderly. I didn't even know about it. But because this woman's sister is suing me and she won't win since it was in the trust. He says i prey on old dying people. His mother is dying and says i am not around cause she has no money.

is amazing twisting... . Yep I have had that too. Just the other day I wanted to introduce my bf to my friend. I complimented my bf by saying "you are so handsome and lovely I just want to show you off"  Compliment right? All agreed? eh... .no... .He was dysregulated and turned it into "you just want to show off to your friend that you have a younger boyfriend. you just want to make yourself look better then her"... .Oh right... .that must be it then !
fromheeltoheal

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »

is amazing twisting... . Yep I have had that too. Just the other day I wanted to introduce my bf to my friend. I complimented my bf by saying "you are so handsome and lovely I just want to show you off"  Compliment right? All agreed? eh... .no... .He was dysregulated and turned it into "you just want to show off to your friend that you have a younger boyfriend. you just want to make yourself look better then her"... .Oh right... .that must be it then !

Telling though.  Everything my borderline ex did was self-serving, even when cloaked in faux-benevolence.  I don't fault her for that anymore; dealing with what goes on between her ears is a full time job and there's nothing for me there, illusions to the contrary.

So he was accusing you of what he might do all the time?  Maybe his compliments to you are smoke screens to conceal his self-serving motives?
connect

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »

HeeltoHeal - Yep you could be right there - dysregulation with me can be forgotten if his friends come over - then he is nice as pie in front of them. Back to dysregulation when they are gone. There are a lot of self serving behaviours present in this disorder. Being seen as the nice guy is very important.
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 01:16:07 PM »

HeeltoHeal - Yep you could be right there - dysregulation with me can be forgotten if his friends come over - then he is nice as pie in front of them. Back to dysregulation when they are gone. There are a lot of self serving behaviours present in this disorder. Being seen as the nice guy is very important.

Yes, because the disorder is shame-based, a borderline is ashamed of who they really are, so they create a mask, a facade, to present to others, except those who are 'lucky' enough to be invited inside the fortress.  

We all do that to one degree or another though, that behavior is not exclusive to borderline pathology by any stretch.  I've done it plenty myself, and creating a facade of who I want to be perceived as is also building my own walls, and banishing myself to solitary confinement.  And the truth is the walls are transparent anyway; those paying enough attention see who we really are.

Lately I've been focusing on vulnerability, how when we see other people express vulnerability we consider it courageous, but when we express it ourselves we consider it weakness.  Well fck that, it is courageous, and more importantly, that is where true connection and belonging are found, what humans are hardwired for, when we let down the walls, abolish the facade, and show up as who we really are, to those who have earned the right with their respect and our trust of them of course.  That's where Life happens and it's what is real.
drv3006

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »

Connect.  If being seen as the nice guy is so important than why so not nice to us.  When he met my family that thought he was wonderful. Oh drv is so cleaned up now she don't drink and finally has a nice guy. I was nuts inside cause secretly i knew he was not nice. And when i drank i had all kinds of winners. I just couldn't watch him snowblow them over. Oh by the way. Go Cardinals. Midwest gal here
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »

Go Cardinals. Midwest gal here

go cardinals. new yorker here.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest