Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 04:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i need to buy a smartphone. this is actually relevant to BPD.  (Read 447 times)
maxen
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »

i am the betrayed husband of a lying, adulterous, arrogant, borderline wife whom i'll be divorcing unless she comes, however late, to her senses and realizes that we were the best thing she ever had. i am also the only child of an elderly mother whose physical condition is deteriorating, and i am now dealing with lawyers, therapists, social workers, aides, doctors. i need a smartphone because i need to keep a contact list of all the people i deal with.

i've narrowed it to two, a samsung and an iphone. which models doesn't matter. the samsung is an android can be manipulated and costs less, the iphone has a brighter screen and everyone has one so i can talk to people about something.

what matters is this. my w had a iphone all along and i spent many happy hours playing bejewelled on it (and many less happy hours playing angry birds). i associate an iphone closely with my wife. so if i buy an iphone it may be a trigger every time i use it, esp. when i play bejewelled, which i certainly will want to do. on the other hand, why should i let my wife determine which smartphone i buy? wouldn't it be a mark of emotional progress to buy the iphone and use it if i damn well want it?

somebody help me.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »

S3,  best phone I've enter had... .   the previous best one was the S2,  and I've been cellar since the mid 90s.  iPhone is shock,  but I love the customization of the android,  as I can make it look far different than someone else's. I  love Swype,  too. I  have a bias against Apple,  because I  was working for my company (a  supplier of theirs)  all weekend in August  when I  would rather have been spending it with my kids. I  came home to deflate,  collapsed in my chair with an e book,  when my ex came into the room and broke up with me... .   the personal and professional gauntlet closed around me. I  hate triggers!

if you need to see people,  you can certainly  load  Skype.  add to the fact that the S  had a standard usb  cable makes it more appealing.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »

well i just got off the phone with my phone company and as of, like, yesterday THEY'RE OUT OF STOCK ON THE SAMSUNG (s4 mini) AND I':) KINDA DECIDED TO BUY THAT ONE [bangs head on wall]. BPD is even controlling my telephone life!

you can skype on an android?

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:39:17 PM »

well i just got off the phone with my phone company and as of, like, yesterday THEY'RE OUT OF STOCK ON THE SAMSUNG (s4 mini) AND I':) KINDA DECIDED TO BUY THAT ONE [bangs head on wall]. BPD is even controlling my telephone life!

you can skype on an android?

my ex skyped  with her boy toy on her S3.  you could look at the Google play store to see if the app is there,  our just search it.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Ceide

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »

I totally get how this is a trigger!

My ex, who is an IT guy, gave me his droid when he left.  (His leaving was really weird, he kept giving me things... . )  Anyway I had that phone for about a year and finally ditched it.  (I did remake it into a completely new phone for the time that I had it, but still... . )

I still have a droid (newer version) and don't associate it with the ex at all.

Do whatever you need to do to take care of you.  Maybe you get a Samsung for now (when its in stock) and who knows?  maybe a few years down the road you get an iphone, and you won't associate it with your ex at all.

I understand the elderly mother part and feel for you, for going through all of that.  It's a rough road. 

Good luck with all of it 
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »

thank you both for not taking this as a joke. i've really had to think about it!

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »

thank you both for not taking this as a joke. i've really had to think about it!

It never ocurred to me... . darn I could have had some fun! maxen: I think you'll make a great Ambie, no joke about that.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »

Maxen, you are in more trauma than you even probably realize - this really is a type of ptsd - nothing at all silly about talking about these kinds of emotions... . pat yourself on the back for reaching out.

Most of your "creating a new life" depends on making new memories now.  It is hard and you will have to push yourself to do it, but try not to make a bid deal of it.  Self talk is soo important.

Let me help you with the reality now - it will be odd at first, but you will likely quickly forget about the association with her as it becomes your phone, honestly.  I live in the same house as my ex, the one remodeled together - I had thought I may sell it, but now, I honestly rarely have moments pop up (and very very rare that those memories trigger any emotion)... . I have created more new memories here than the ones we actually did have.

My 2 cents - there is no right/wrong answer on this - honestly, the hard part was done... . addressing the fear and working through it.

Peace,

SB

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

thanks SB. you are of course right.

Most of your "creating a new life" depends on making new memories now.

ten days ago i had the credit card in my hand and was ready to go, but then i hesitated. it took until i put up this thread to figure out why i couldn't pull the trigger. i think now that buying a non-iphone will help in creating those new memories (i'm onto a google nexus 5 since the samsung is unavailable).

i know there will be bigger issues to face, but this is the one i have in front of me at the moment!

update: the googlephone arrived! already! oohh i can't wait ... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest