Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 05:38:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grief  (Read 363 times)
Lion Fire

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:03 AM »

this is one hell of a rollercoaster ride!

My days are up and down. Sometimes I feel resolute in my decision, others I feel confused and indecisive. One thing that is constant is the grief I feel for the end of this relationship.

I had a long friendship with my exBPDgf before entering into a relationship.I developed a love for her that was genuine and I recognised the beautifully human side of her. Although she was pushing for a relationship almost the whole friendship period, I resisted this for 2 years. I put this down to my inability to commit but now know it was my intuition warning me of great danger. There were so many red flags  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

When I finally opened up to the idea I was in a vulnerable space-selling my property, my business was going into bankruptcy. I see now that I was looking for a way out and she presented an incredible dream that I bought.

Long story short-I sold up, moved countries and went to London with the intention to make a life with her. She wanted kids and so did I, we shared compatible dreams and hopes and were attracted to each other. Something inside me was unsure but I went ahead with it in hope that it would be ok. Deep down I knew the risks and that the probability was high that things would be complex at best.It was fantastic at first but soon turned into a living nightmare of abuse, manipulation and fear. I jumped while being pushed to the extreme to save myself and moved to another city. Needless to say, it has been traumatic and extremely messy.

I realise that grief is vital to healing and now I am mourning. Although I truly love her, I just cannot have her in my life. I have weathered her abuse and resisted her calls for me to return.

This morning, I have been reflecting on our long relationship that was slow brewing, reached a sublime summit and then crashed away rapidly and with huge damage to both of us. I looked at old photos and messages and wept. I am saying farewell to a good friend, a lover and ultimately an abuser. It is so confusing and brings up so many feelings... . regret, anger, fear, longing... . pain of loss.

It really feels like a grieving a death of a loved one. I can rationalise the situation because all the evidence makes sense to let her go completely but I still miss the great friend she was and the kind soul that she is.

I often wonder what she is feeling. If she has the same pain. If she stops long enough to look at the debris?

Anger and self preservation has taken me far enough to be out of immediate danger.

Now all that is left is grief.

Knowing that everything is lost hurts like hell.

AwakenedOne

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »

I am saying farewell to a good friend, a lover and ultimately an abuser.

LF,

I know what your saying, even though my ex became an extremely abusive person there were those other two sides that I loved.

Sorry your hurting today. I really can understand that considering what you've been through. Like you said though it's just unfortunately a part of the process of grieving and healing.

You mentioned you both shared the same dreams. Knowing those dreams will not come true together is rough. I feel the same way. Thing is we can still have those dreams come true with someone else. If not the exact same dream, even a better alternative dream.

You mention boxing from time to time. Think of it like this, you lasted the 15 rounds in the ring with her and it ended up as a draw. You didn't lose. You did your best and hung in there till the final bell. You didn't get knocked out. Your next match with your new mate is going to be a 1st round love knockout win for you bro like Mike Tyson used to do in the first minute or two of his match's.  

Peace,

AO

Pecator

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »

Yeah I am right with you LF, and AO, you know I connect with your words.

I have been "wondering" too much these last few days.

My ex and I are in LC cause she isn't overtly abusive anymore. We have successfully closed the blame game for the relationship. LC means I do have to deal with very minor and very subtle push/pull surrounded by gas lighting and the dreaded "normalizing." But even that has helped me see her for who she is and helped detach.

I made it a week of NC without even trying.

This all the while I knew she and the replacement were away for his birthday at our special resort. I was surprised at how little it bothered me. I even saw picts of the event on FB. It was sad. When we went we had pics at dinner, out hiking, at the pool. These were a few pics at one session in the lobby. They looked forced on his part, not one smile. The comments she put were very reserved. "Thanks hun, awesome weekend." The rest were comments to friends on how nice it was. Merely polite comments. This was this issue she had the last time she was with him. Everything was nice, but no deep emotional expressions. She used "nice" a hundred times. The only comment he made was "beautiful memories."

Then I started ruminating. I STARTED TO FEEL SAD FOR HER!

I know they barely communicate when they don't see each other. I also knew she was away on Monday for a conference. My rumination slipped me back. I knew she would feel extremely alone being away. I feel so alone most of my days. I sent her a text, "this is crazy." Sure enough, few moments later I get "What is crazy?' followed intently by, "May I call?" She has only called me twice in the last four months. Both were in the last couple of weeks.

The call was pleasant. But it reminded me that the abuse she has put me through has actually destroyed the love I once had for her as a person. While talking I really felt like I have no desire for this person to be in  my life.

Once we hung up, I felt so alone with only my grief for company. I realized I do still love the dream. It has very little to do with the person, but I do still love the dream.

I sent an email apologizing for the contact. And in a "still stuck in the dream" kinda way, lovingly told her my head gets it and I will work on my heart by myself and leave her alone.

"sorry" was all I got back

"I just wish I knew for what," still trying to get her to acknowledge something.

"That I can't feel the way you do."

That was a wake up call. It stood out in my mind that she wrote "can't" and not "don't." I understand it could be a simple word choice, it was quite illustrative for me.

Like you, I met her at a very vulnerable time in my life. My career was in shambles. I could have restored my career by moving back to my country. But the dream we built inspired me to try to change careers. We planned a simpler life based around family instead of career and retiring on a beach. That plan was an amazing formula to what we called "our second half." I bought it and tipped the person selling it.

Okay, so the  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  like I never dated a jealous person, never understood jealousy—I can learn to appreciate her point of view and deal with it. And I did that very well.

Okay, so she is not the deepest person I have ever met. That is why she can call me lazy for not working (which got much worse). Not many people understand the restrictions and struggles I have to go through as a non-resident. Yes I am not working because to do so would be illegal. But I get why she doesn't understand.

Okay, so she dumped me again on the night before I was going to apply for my visa at the boarder. She is scared to death that she will be abandoned if I do not get the visa.

No wonder she has no appreciation for the terror I feel. That I am the one who could be turned away at the boarder having exhausted my resources over the last year of being unemployed. Of course she should not be with me for support in this process. I don't need the strength I get by holding her hand. I don't need her words of comfort in my most life-changing moment. She should be having wine with friends. If the worst case happens, I can call on my friends to help me. After all, she has her fears. They have always been more important to her than our love. I'll need only to keep working to assuage those fears.

Such a small price to pay for the dream to be with my best friend and lover for our "second half."

Truth is she "can't" ever feel like I do. She has never been able to handle complex emotional situations. Not that she "doesn't" feel, her fears make it so she "can't" feel them.

Not trying to highjack your thread. But words kept coming as I related to your post.

I have returned to my life of constant grief over the death of a loved one. It grows even deeper with the shame of wondering if I ever really loved the person. Is the death I grieve really just the dream?

I can't speak to your ex, but in my case, "the kind soul that she is," doesn't make sense any more. The abuse she is capable of, the complete lack of empathy, and the annihilating way she ended it this time contradicts that notion.

I know for a fact that she is not feeling, has no pain, and does not see the debris, because she "can't."

The kind soul I still grieve was her mirroring me. There is no sign that soul still exists.

The dream of a "second half" with my best friend, constant companion, who used to surprise me with the sweetest notes stuffed into my lunch, my lover who brought me the greatest peace just by laying against me watching a movie while the boys messed around on the couch next us, and partner with whom we began financial strategies to retire on a beach, is now desperately seeking a relationship with a workaholic who schedules four hours a week for each of his two kids independently, barely communicates with her outside of their scheduled date-nights and has made no connection to her kids (they still text me), and has an extreme phobia to water. Oh yeah, he does not dance either (see other posts)

It hurts like hell because everything is lost. It hurts even more because it is not lost to her. She has adapted like she always has. The hardest part is letting go of the thought that it was more real or true with me. Letting go of the thought that our connection was deeper or that it was because I saw her "true" soul.

The hardest part is embracing that "truth" cannot trump the fact that she "can't"

Grief will be our companion for a while.

Lion Fire

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:42:21 AM »

Thanks for your input AO,

Aye, grief is essential and I've been avoiding disractions that give me a false sense of security that I am over her. the truth is I'm not. That said, I feel better for the last few days of mourning and I'm seeing this for what they are. This too shall pass  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I like the boxing analogy bro  Smiling (click to insert in post) In fairness, I think I lost that bout. I was lucky to get to a points decision but I was out on my feet... . What I do know is that I want to learn new skills and repair myself to avoid another battering of this kind. Hopefully next time I hit round 1 Love TKO  Smiling (click to insert in post)

You take care man

Bless up
Lion Fire

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:50:57 AM »

I get you Pecator.

Although the details of my relationship were different, I too went through a tornado like you.

Fact is, my exBPDgf had two distinctive sides... . beautiful and abusive. Once she shifted over the threshold into abuser, it never really stopped. There were windows of kindness but mostly it was an express train of disorder that was always heading for the inevitable crash.I jumped out of the way.

Grief is a process of deep letting go of the dreams, the hopes, the good times, the awful times.

I wish you well, stay strong.

thinkingthinking

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »

I can't think of a better title than "Grief"... .

Almost 8 months post divorce and I'm not sleeping, ruminating, wondering what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.  My exBPDh told our d12 this week that he was going to be moving in with his girlfriend in June. My daughter is dealing with anxiety, and I am overwhelmed with grief again. 

In the months up to and immediately following the divorce, I kept myself so busy that I didn't let myself feel any of it.   Now it is crushing.

What if I was wrong? 

What if I had tried harder or been more patient?

What if I was the problem?  If this new woman in his life somehow makes things right for him?

What if my filing for divorce was the source of all of my daughter's anxiety?

I'm a wreck and so tempted to reach out to him. I have a good career, 3 kids, and a supportive family, and yet I feel completely lost right now.   

"It is so confusing and brings up so many feelings... . regret, anger, fear, longing... . pain of loss."  Exactly.  :'(
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest