Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:03:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 371 times)
GroundChuck

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 09, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »

Hi,

I am married to a female BPD. Our relationship has become very toxic as of late and turned violent. Things really went south a week after we were married when my 3 kids unexpectedly moved in. That was 3 1/2 years ago. The first two years of our marriage were absolute hell as she continually blamed me for having three kids and her having to face demons she didn't want to face in order to deal with my kids. She finally started going to therapy about a year and a half into the marriage and things got marginally better. I approached her about divorce roughly 4 months ago and things have continually deteriorated since then. Bringing up the D word brought up her abandonment issues and at this point I am living in her self-fulfilled prophecy. I called the police on her last week when she threw her laptop lap desk at me while my kids were home. I was told I am weak, a douche bag and "what kind of man would do that". My therapist brought up the idea of BPD re: her about 5 months ago and it has taken me this long to really accept that reality and become ready to face it. I am divorcing my wife, the woman I love, a woman I have loved more than any other in my life. It is very hard to stay focused on what I need to do for myself and my kids when I feel pulled in both directions. I have so much guilt inside of me for planning a divorce behind her back but I know that I have completely lost myself and the only way to protect my kids and get me back is to walk away.

It is such a relief to find out what the issue is and that there are people who know exactly where I am and how I feel.

My main focus at this point is to determine the best way to separate and divorce her. Once that is done, I want to turn the focus to myself so I do not repeat this destructive pattern in my life.
Mrs. Hyde

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:20:46 AM »

Hi and welcome.

You are not alone.

I am going through the exact same thing  you are except I have to endure a nightmare custody battle with our 10 week old son. Its so sad and scary at the same time

My husband has not been diagnosed but the counselor we saw believes that he is BPD and he fits the mold like a glove.

I recently was awarded emergency temporary custody because he was doing unsafe things to our son.

He is still fighting for full custody and he has enough money to sustain multiple battles in court.

I'm trying to take it one day at a time.  Each day I have moments of sadness,fear,confusion,anger and on and on.  Like you said I have lost the person that I loved more than anything,... but I have to remember that the love I felt came at too high a cost... .if I could dissect the prince charming piece and keep him to myself and discard the prince of darkness I would... .but I can't and I don't want to be hurt anymore.  I want to regain my sense of self and take care of myself. 

I am in counseling trying to figure out why I choose these types of people... .how can I protect myself in the future... .welcome to these boards... .you will find great support and info to help you rebuild your life as you navigate the tumultuous waters of divorce and BPD
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »

It is such a relief to find out what the issue is and that there are people who know exactly where I am and how I feel.

Before we found out, it was like stumbling around in the dark, not knowing which way to turn, what to think, whether to keep trying or stop trying, etc.

My main focus at this point is to determine the best way to separate and divorce her. Once that is done, I want to turn the focus to myself so I do not repeat this destructive pattern in my life.

Very, very carefully.  This will likely be your most monumental task ever.

Once you are reasonably protected (you have an experienced lawyer, you have ways to document you're not the one misbehaving in case allegations are made, crucial documents and accounts are preserved, etc) then you can start setting firm boundaries of behavior.  Be aware she may never respect your boundaries, so they will probably end up being boundaries for you to apply for yourself.

For example, if your spouse rages, then consider your options.  You may choose to leave until she calms down.  Leave with the children if at all possible, maybe say you'll take them out for a meal or treat, etc.  Be aware that if you call emergency responders that she'll likely be composed by the time they arrive and she'll claim you are the one abusing, raging or whatever.  That's why it is wise to quietly record yourself (and whoever is present) so you can defend yourself from false allegations.

There is a Staying board here but I have come to view it as the "Staying For Now" board since staying usually doesn't depend upon us, it depends primarily on whether the disordered person will respond and improve.  If the person doesn't stop the Denial and Blame-Shifting, doesn't get into intensive therapy, doesn't apply it diligently in thinking and behaviors, doesn't stick with it long term, well, then the relationship has no healthy and functional future and there are only two choices: (1) continue appeasing and reacting or (2) determine whether it's time to be proactive and unwind the relationship.

I noticed in my case and with many here who divorced that a disordered spouse generally... .

• is overly entitled and controlling

• is easily triggered and easily overreacts

• has little or no compunction against lying

• will allege literally anything to retaliate and reject you

• will allege literally anything to make you look worse than her

• will project her poor behaviors onto you

• will blame and shift blame

• etc

GroundChuck

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:54 PM »

Thank you for the replies. It's feel so good to know I am not alone. I have felt so alone for so long. Things have gotten really bad lately and it is due to the fact that she found out I was talking to her oldest and best friend without her knowledge. These weren't romantic discussions but rather two people who understood what it was like to be close to her. I reached out to her as she has just come into our lives recently and I felt such a strong connection to her right off the bat due to our shared experiences with my wife. It was a huge help for me and began to give me the strength to consider leaving. We were at dinner one night and she said out loud to my wife that I am basically a saint since I put up with all of my wife's BS. My wife was pissed and I felt so ___ing good. That was the first time anyone has ever validated what it is like to live with my wife. The crappy thing is my wife won't talk to her now due to her finding out about this. I feel horrible for putting her in that position. Even though neither one of us was being inappropriate or felt like we were doing something wrong we both know my wife would flip out and she did. So now I can't talk to her friend and she won't talk to her. Once I leave my wife, I still won't be able to talk to her friend as my wife will forgive her at some point and I can't get in the way of their relationship. I don't want that too happen, I want to remain friends with her, I want to be the selfish one, my wife will just treat her like ___ and take her for granted!

The thing I am most afraid of is being alone. I will lose all of my friends (which are very few) to my wife. I will be living alone with my kids and I will not have anyone to hang out with. Ugh... .This sucks!

I am so scared and I am so blown away that there are so many people out there who feel exactly like I do. This gives me a bit of hope.
catnap

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »

I would suggest you reach out to this lady AFTER the divorce.  It is ultimately her decision on who is she is friends with.

If she contacts you, please be careful.  I say this will all due respect to the friend, but without knowing her that well, you do not need someone who might potentially be feeding information to your stbx.  So no discussion about the divorce-what your strategy is, what you speak in confidence to your L about, etc. 

Btw, why do you feel so guilty when the friend made the comment that let the cat out of the bag?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest