Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 05:42:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What have you learned about YOU?  (Read 432 times)
pavilion

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »

I have been wondering today how many of you have been able to use your experience of being in a relationship with someone with BPD positively. What have you learned about yourself and how will you take that forward in your future relationships?

It's still early days for me and I am just beginning to explore all this as I begin to make sense of the last 2.5 years.

pavilion

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »

Oops! This is on the wrong board. Will repost. I'd still be interested to hear what you have learned about yourself decided or undecided though... .
JohnLove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »

Hi pavilion. You are in the right place wherever you post this. Although I inhabit all the boards on here, if you post this in each section it may illicit different responses. This topic is pretty universal and it would fit anywhere. We are always learning no matter where we are. This is accurate no matter how we are living with a pwBPD. Before a relationship, during, as well as the aftermath... .I mean afterwards.

I have had realisations... .I guess you could call that learning. I have become even more in touch with myself (and I was REALLY in touch already) in the sense that I can put a name to behaviours and traits in myself that will now allow me to work on these things to improve myself if I want to. By that I mean you can't change someone they have to WANT to change. I have become aware (the first step) as my relationships with pwBPD have "drawn" these things out of me. My negative behaviours didn't really manifest before but now I know when I have been triggered by the challenges in a relationship with someone suffering from BPD that they exist.

Often people are resistant to change and it can be a very slow process... .like watching grass grow... .sometimes change happens SO slowly that you can't see it happening so you "think" it isn't.

1 to 2 years seems to be the breaking point for many BPD relationships. That is when they let their guard down and the non (if you are one) seems to realize there's something really wrong and it's not all them. Often it is the non that seeks help in the form of therapy or posting here or on another support site.

The pwBPD can't change their brain chemistry, wiring, evolution or whatever so it is up to us to change, adapt, endure, the behaviors to compensate if we want to remain in a relationship of any sort with a pwBPD. I know that hardly sounds fair but that's how it is. I am not saying improvements can't be made but often the non is the one to initiate unless the pwBPD has been hospitalized (or imprisoned).

We are ALL constantly evolving.

I wish you well on your journey.
pavilion

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »

Thank you JohnLove. It was 1 year for me but it also coincided with him moving in with me. I believe he detected my so called flaws and magnified them. I was accused of being controlling because I would voice my concerns to him. I guess you can call any person who wants to take charge of their own life controlling. When I met him I was at a low point and felt that I needed him to give me purpose. Now I am without him I detect a void within me which I believe to be the void left by being raised with ambivalent attachment to my mum i.e. I will be here for you. Now I won't. No sense of trust that the world is a safe place. I have also recognised the similarities between him and my dad.

I crave intimacy but don't we all?

Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »

Thank you JohnLove. It was 1 year for me but it also coincided with him moving in with me. I believe he detected my so called flaws and magnified them. I was accused of being controlling because I would voice my concerns to him. I guess you can call any person who wants to take charge of their own life controlling. When I met him I was at a low point and felt that I needed him to give me purpose. Now I am without him I detect a void within me which I believe to be the void left by being raised with ambivalent attachment to my mum i.e. I will be here for you. Now I won't. No sense of trust that the world is a safe place. I have also recognised the similarities between him and my dad.

I crave intimacy but don't we all?

I have come to this conclusion as well, this r/s has forced me to look at myself and my need to try to fill that longing that has been with me since I was a child, to feel love unconditionally, feel accepted as I am... .I met mine during a very low point of my life as well where I was questioning who I was and why I was even on this earth.  He came along like a delicious drug and filled that up in me and gave me purpose and meaning.  I am learning since we have separated that I was so enmeshed with him that I have lost myself.  I don't know who I am anymore, what I want to do with my life.  I realised from this r/s how much I was willing to sacrifice just to have that love and affection that I got from him when I behaved in the way he wanted me to.  Otherwise he would take it away from me and give me the cold silent treatment as punishment (just like my mother coincidently).  I guess I have also learned that I am willing to give it all up for something real and true as it was me that ended the relationship.  I'm fighting through this grief with the hope that I deserve better and can one day have better.  I really believe that through this heart-ache I am going to heal things about my childhood that I didn't even realise I needed to.  It has brought so many things to the surface.
Caredverymuch

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »

I have been wondering today how many of you have been able to use your experience of being in a relationship with someone with BPD positively. What have you learned about yourself and how will you take that forward in your future relationships?

It's still early days for me and I am just beginning to explore all this as I begin to make sense of the last 2.5 years.

Hi Pavillion, this is a good topic bc we can ( and should) spend all the time we need trying to understand BPD but there comes a point when the focus must go inward regardless if you are staying or leaving.  There is a reason we all we drawn to the pBPD or vise versa and that reason is not mere coincidence.

What I have learned from this experience is that whenever a r/s requires one partner to put all their needs aside for the emotional well being of the other, that's not a r/s. That's substitution of  a missing parent. And much more. That's unhealthy and there is absolutely nothing we can do to change others in a r/s like this. Love does not fix others.

They say BPD's suppress in order to survive but the non's end up suppressing much as well to survive in that r/s. Bc having a need of your own triggers them. And the r/s has no in between. It goes from all good to all bad, overnight seemingly. It goes from mutual giving and caring to a one sided well of need with no bottom. That's the time we on the leaving board should have trusted our gut. When it began to feel very wrong and one sided and nothing you could do was enough. And you were not considered to have a need of your own. That's when a healthier person with better boundaries walks.

When you suppress your own needs for that of another, that's not a r/s.  And it will always come to the surface in other ways.

Self love, better boundaries, trusting your gut instinct and the red flags which always knows the truth being denied, and walking away when any of those things are being disrespected. That's what I have learned.

And, in the few casual r/s I have had since this interaction, I have listened intuitively when a person is telling me who they are. When it didn't feel "right" to me. I have done just that.

No second chances when you have shown me who you are. You need to do your own inner work fully then listen clearly going forward. Hmmm, blaming the ex spouse for all that went wrong, bad r/s with your parents, talking only about yourself  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

And not that this was the intention, but doing this makes that person want and respect you much more from the start. if you so choose to remain there. Which I do not, unless it's healthy from the start.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest