Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 11:18:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How they react when they find out you have a new partner?  (Read 490 times)
shatra

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 23, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »

Hi

My partner broke up with me this month. I am planning to begin dating others at some point, and he lives in the same city I do, and will likely find out I'm dating.

He  is definitely not dangerous... .anyone care to share the BPs typical reaction when they find out you are dating new people? I'd feel better knowing and being prepared for what I might be in for.

Have a nice day

Shatra
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »

... .anyone care to share the BPs typical reaction when they find out you are dating new people? I'd feel better knowing and being prepared for what I might be in for.

I bet that there probably isn't an exact "typical" reaction that everyone with BPD has when they find out their Ex is dating again, or in any situation for that matter. Everyone--BPD or not--is unique and different. Some people are distraught and jealous when an Ex starts dating again, some have moved on and don't really get too upset. Some might feel hurt and in pain, and will get depressed and cry all day. Some will be sad and upset, but will suck it up and move on with their lives.

I guess none of us ever really know for sure what our loved ones (or Ex loved ones) will or will not do in stressful situations... .How do you feel about starting to date again? Are you ready for a new relationship? Are you happy and excited? I would start there, and give him the space to figure it out on his own, and yourself the time to grieve the loss of that other relationship and the chance for a new life. I wish you well when you begin anew, shatra 

Hawk Ridge

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »

I too have heard of a myriad of responses including a 6th sense. After 7 months, I started dating. She was in love with my replacement within 2.  I have been wondering this too.

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »

I would expect him to handle it as about as badly as he does to other challenging things from you.

He's still reaching into the same emotional toolbox full of damaged tools when he has to cope with it.
Infern0

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »

Mine found out I went on a date and reacted with rage.

You ass,  you never loved meeeeeeee

She devalued and dumped me ftr
shatra

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 01:26:35 PM »

Thank you for the replies---

Rapt, I feel nervous about dating, since he will find out about it and I am unsure about his reaction.

Hawk wrote

I too have heard of a myriad of responses including a 6th sense.

----Does this mean the person had a 6th sense and picked up the fact that

you began dating someone else?

Grey, sounds like you think it would be a "challenging thing" to him to find out when I start dating?  The damaged tools he has is a good analogy... .the tools I see BPD's have access to are substance abuse, denial and blocking out feelings while keeping a mask of indifference and coldness on his outside, and projecting faults onto others.

Inferno, she devalued and dumped you for the record... .does that mean you were still with her when you dated someone else?

Shatra
Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »

Grey, sounds like you think it would be a "challenging thing" to him to find out when I start dating?  The damaged tools he has is a good analogy... .the tools I see BPD's have access to are substance abuse, denial and blocking out feelings while keeping a mask of indifference and coldness on his outside, and projecting faults onto others.

I believe that he would react to it as a challenge / difficulty / conflict... .and yes, reach for tools like those most likely.

Wouldn't you feel crappy upon hearing about him dating somebody else?

You would reach for your own tools to deal with it... .and you have some in better tools than he does!
Hawk Ridge

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »

Shatra, I am still trying to figure this out myself.  It could be explained by the heightened level of sensitivity or perhaps that emotional development halts at such a young age due trauma.  I'm hoping members of this board can enlighten us.

shatra

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

Hi

Yes perhaps someone can enlighten us. It may be what you said---they are extra sensitive (to their feelings and ours, and the environment, etc).  Their emotional development does halt at a young age------wonder how this affects their sensitivity, and their ability to keep tabs on us when we're out of sight... .

Shatra
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest