Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knowing what I know now about BPD can make a difference. Why doesn't she listen.  (Read 380 times)
guy4caligirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 20, 2014, 07:15:25 AM »

I have learned a lot about this illness BPD and am still learning.  I asked a lot of questions and I got answers.

I really can make a difference in someone's life who suffers from BPD, including my ex and I am sure most of you can.

The problem is ... .how do you make a blind horse see (my favorite sentence from Skip)? Is there a way other than her saying "I need help"?  How can I get through to draw her to look deep in herself and penetrate that brick wall of denial?

Knowing that she won't get help till she crashes, why not before she crashes?

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 07:39:01 AM »

In many cases the damage to us came not only from the actions of our partner* but from our inability to see reality for what it really was - to see and understand this personality dichotomy - this disorder. Many of us were obsessed with trying to make "a blind horse, see" and suffered significantly from this obsession.

Trust.

It's about trust.

Before anyone is going to listen to anyone regarding their mental health, they have to have an open mind (which often comes from crisis) and they need to hear it from someone they deeply trust the knowledge, and the motivation.

Does your ex deeply trust your knowledge and your motivation?  Should she?

Aussie JJ

Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:42:14 AM »

Skip raises a very valid point. 

If you were 100 % in the relationship and approached it correctly you might be able to assist.  Remember at the moment, this is somethign I personally strugle with a heap at times.  I cant help, trying will only cause pain.  Been there done that, I cant help her. 

She has to make the choice to accept help.  Ask for help, open up about those problems. 

In many respects, the pain of lots of people upon finding out, for me this was 10 fold.  I could have helped but I lacked the insight to understand the problem that existed.  My pain is knowing in hidsight what I could have done differently. 

AJJ. 
guy4caligirl

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:05:17 AM »

Skip

Knowledge Yes !

Motivation ... .Well she will probably ask herself why would I want to do that for ? BPD complex at it's best .

Why should she ... .? Good one ! For her own wellness perhaps  ,  witch I doubt she will , she knows exactly what her illness is but she denies and live along with it , survived and still does , why change and for who should she imbedded in her selfishness  ?

I think if she's aware of what she causes for others" Broken hearted Ex'es " and the intensive therapy to get over the hurt she caused for them , me... .Included .

She needs to live the experience of broken heart ... .In my opinion .

What's your take on that ?

Did they ever have a broken heart , my ex no ?

clydegriffith

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »

It really doesn't make a difference. I discovered BPD while i was still with the X. I tried to get a grasp of everything and be the one person that can understand and it was all for nothing. Her behavior didn't really change. She was never able to control her rages or impulsiveness.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »

She needs to live the experience of broken heart ... .In my opinion .

What's your take on that ?

Did they ever have a broken heart , my ex no ?

I know this was intended for Skip but, I am going to jump in  Smiling (click to insert in post)  PwBPD experience feelings on a different level than a non-disordered person.  PwBPD are filled with feelings of intense hurt, pain, shame, loss, and sadness.  Keeping that in mind, I believe they know the feelings associated with a "broken heart."  It is hard for us to understand that they have these feelings because, pwBPD tend to use defense mechanisms to essentially stop their own emotional turmoil.   

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Infern0

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »

I tried to help,  armed with knowledge on BPD,  she even admitted her diagnosis to me and "told me things she never told anyone" but it made 0 difference in the end,  she didn't truly want my help and the cycle continues.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest