Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 10:46:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doing things for myself.  (Read 342 times)
billypilgrim

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated since 10/2014. Divorce will be finalized 10/2015.

« on: December 15, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »

After buying books and obsessing and learning everything I can about BPD (at times I feel as though I could give a lecture on the condition), I've reached the point with my T in which she is steering me away from talking about my exBPD to talking about myself. But this is incredibly difficult for me.  I've always hated talking about myself.  I think this is even exemplified by the fact that I usually hang out on the leaving board and this is my first post on the Personal board after 100 posts.  I have always disliked my birthdays.  I felt/feel guilty receiving gifts.  I don't like being the center of attention.  I'm not having trouble doing the things/activities I've always enjoyed (my hobbies and interests were a problem with my exBPD as that was time away from her) - but I'm struggling mightily with going back into my past with my T.  

It's like I've reached a giant wall.  She knows I enjoy writing so she asked me to write about my struggles with self worth, blame issues, and my issues with failure/not doing things right.  I haven't been able to write more than 2 or 3 sentences.  I have never had this problem.  I put this exercise off for a week and tried to force myself to write last night.  I just found myself replaying the relationship over and over again, questioning everything, wondering what I could have done differently (and I know full well that this is pointless and counterproductive).  I'm sure most of you that have read my posts probably think I'm too verbose, that's what my ex always said anyway.  Have any of you experienced this?  Have any of you had success in talking/writing/thinking about yourselves?  How did you go about this?  Was it a conscious effort?  I know there are things that I need to change about myself but I'm pretty clueless as to the how.  
Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »

Hi Billypilgrim, I can relate to what you are going through.  I was always running from the past and over analytical about the present and future.  The old me would have devoured every book on BPD rather than look in the mirror... .but after this BU I knew desperately that I had to change my tactics and get real.  Real about the pain I have carried and numbed for years.  For I never want to go through this again!  It sucks!  So I decided to jump right in!  And it has been excruciating at times!  But it takes the focus off the pwBPD and puts it squarely on you.  Working with your T will be so helpful during this time.

Since you like to write, you may find an exercise I learned in one of the books by John Bradshaw (Homecoming, I think).  I can't remember all the details but basically you write your childhood story as a myth or fairy tale.  I highly recommend his books if you want to get in touch with the past and your inner child.  It isn't easy work but it is very effective.
Grey Kitty

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »

I've not struggled with it like you have, but I do have a suggestion for you.

Do you have a journal?

Try writing (or typing if you prefer) in one every day.

I'd suggest a minimum of starting out by writing the date and a sentence about the day. Let yourself write as much or as little as you want after that.

If the most important thing of the day was replaying your relationship in your head, then write about that experience.
downwhim

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:36:02 PM »

Thanks Grey Kitty for reminding me to write in my journal. I try and do that everyday. Reflect and feel free to write whatever. I did lots of inner child work when I was married and did all the Bradshaw exercises. I knew better but I guess I forgot... .

Funny how when I got divorced the first relationship I end up with is BPD. I know it has been mentioned that they can sniff vulnerability a mile away. I signed up. The relationship happened fast as is also a pattern for BPD.s but a lesson for me too. Next time I will really take the time necessary to get to know the person. My exBPD rescued me and I let him - another point to reflect on. It feels good to take ownership of my part in this craziness.
Deeno02

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »

Thanks Grey Kitty for reminding me to write in my journal. I try and do that everyday. Reflect and feel free to write whatever. I did lots of inner child work when I was married and did all the Bradshaw exercises. I knew better but I guess I forgot... .

Funny how when I got divorced the first relationship I end up with is BPD. I know it has been mentioned that they can sniff vulnerability a mile away. I signed up. The relationship happened fast as is also a pattern for BPD.s but a lesson for me too. Next time I will really take the time necessary to get to know the person. My exBPD rescued me and I let him - another point to reflect on. It feels good to take ownership of my part in this craziness.

I started it after my divorce. Very helpful. Then I met this lady I was tangled up with for 16 months. Do you know what saved me from thinking I was nuts? My journal. I never stopped writing so I have all the highs and lows of this r/s. It was because of this that a friend of mine(who is a psych) looked at it and within 20minutes told me I may be dealing with a BPD. Saved me. I thought I was going nuts.
talithacumi

Relationship status: Stopped living together in August 2010

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »

Dear billypilgrim,

I could have written your post myself when I reached this particular point in my own therapy. Like you, I found it very hard to think, let alone write about anything other than the breakup and all the intense/raw feelings that had me running so frantically in circles inside all the time. And I found it was also a really convenient mental/emotional distraction - a weird way of self soothing maybe the sublime, but intense discomfort I felt when I did start to think/talk about myself.

If you're like me, you're probably going to have to start slow - from somewhere around the edges - and gently work your way to the center. Try maybe describing how it feels to think about yourself, and give yourself a little free rein to explore some of the reasons you may feel that way. Try writing about your relationship in terms of what drew you to it in the first place - not the person - the relationship itself - what role you played and what you got out of it - using the fact that you aren't comfortable with attention as your own point of reference.

Also, go ahead and write about your ex, the relationship/life you shared with her, the breakup, and all the horrible awful really painful and confusing things you felt and are still feeling as much and as often as you want. It may not be particularly helpful, but I found it to be absolutely useless to try to deny that this whole thing was taking front/center for me internally/emotionally and that just getting it out there validated that for me in some weird way - made me feel like I was at least listening to myself for a change instead of ignoring/dismissing my own feelings/thoughts - which, in the end, turned out to be a major turning point in the relationship I have with myself.

FYI - my therapy REVOLVED around writing. I recently moved, and found all the spiral notebooks I'd filled over the course of my first eighteen months in therapy post-breakup. There were two boxes of them and most of the entries were about my ex, the rel/life we'd had, the breakup, my replacement, his rel/life with her, and the overwhelming sense of emotional/financial abandonment I was experiencing.

But, every once in a while, I would write about myself. And, through those entries, I found the lies I'd been taught/learned/believed about myself that both attracted, and made me so attractive to my ex - as well as the answer to why I felt so uncomfortable even giving myself this kind of attention in the first place.

I'm not going to be trite, and tell you this whole thing happened for a reason and that it's some kind of gift. That, as I've posted many times before, seems to me to be the equivalent of being pushed off a cliff and telling yourself it was really just a shortcut to the bottom. But I am going to say, in your devastation, you have the chance to discover what brought you to the edge of that cliff - not just once - but probably over and over and over again - throughout your life - so you're able to step back and find your own path to the bottom next time.

Best of luck - and happiest of holidays!

TC

Pingo

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »

About the journaling, I would recommend dating your entries so that you can look back and see how much progress you've made.  I didn't do this early on in my journaling and now I wish I had. 
billypilgrim

Relationship status: Separated since 10/2014. Divorce will be finalized 10/2015.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I wanted to give an update.  I've been journaling a lot.  As well as just writing in general (poetry, free form, and short stories).  It's helped tremendously.  But what has helped the most so far is the breakthrough that occurred during therapy yesterday.  I was finally able to pinpoint why a couple of ways she described me when she left had been eating away at me.  In addition, the same reason is also what resulted in my staying in the abusive relationship as long as I did.

The reason?  My alcoholic and narcissistic grandfather.  He abused my grandmother both physically and emotionally.  He did the same to my father and his siblings.  And while he never physically abused me, I can remember the emotional abuse as from very early on.  I learned how to "keep the peace," so to speak, from watching my dad.  I watched my dad and his siblings try repeatedly to please him in order to gain his affection, to no avail.  I remember trying to do the same as a kid.  Grades. Sports. Going over to his house for "workdays" in which I received contributions to my college fund.  This was his way of asserting his control over me.  Everything I did I hoped it would please him.  Occasionally I would receive a pat on the back or an "attaboy" but there was always something else about me that was wrong.  That I needed to fix.  This is where I learned to bend over backwards to please others rather than myself.  And as a result of all of this, I grew up in an alcoholic household despite neither one of my parents being alcoholics.

It was far easier and safer to deal with the abuse to protect my parents as to not cause a scene or set him off than to stand up for myself.  This way of handling things was reinforced for years and that's why I naturally tolerated the same kind of behaviors from my ex ClusterB.  I felt the same things toward my ex ClusterB as I did my grandfather.  The incessant desire to please her.  The ever-present fear of disappointing her or letting her down.  The overbearing obligation to help and provide for her because she was my wife and therefore the most important member of my family.   But just like my grandfather, nothing was enough for her.  We were 26 year old home owners.  We each had (still have) successful careers.  Very little debt.  We had a dream wedding, albeit her dream.  An amazing honeymoon.  We traveled the country and gone overseas together.  We were loved by our friends and family (still are).  We were making preparations for kids and the next new house.  We seemingly had everything you could hope and ask for.  But it wasn't enough.  So she left.

And when she left, she described me as uncompromising, uptight, and as viewing the world in black and white.  And while I understood that this was just an extension of her disorder and more about her, I couldn't believe what I logically knew as true.  I couldn't believe it because I was conditioned to believe her word as impeccable truth.  The years of gaslighting conditioned me to question every judgement or gut reaction I have.  I questioned my own reality to the point of always wishing that I had cameras in the house to prove that her recollection of things was not how things actually happened.  I learned to put her feelings and thoughts first.  They became canon in my life.  Infallible. Unquestionable.  Because she could not be wrong.  She could not have her emotions questioned.  The disappointment and rage she would show when I didn't please was crushing.  The reason her words penetrated so deeply into my core is that she was describing my grandfather.   I couldn't bare to be viewed and compared to him by the person I loved and cared for most.  The thought of her being right about me has plagued me ever since she wrote the e-mail in which she blamed me for her leaving.

Delving into my own past scared me on multiple levels.  Up until this point, I wouldn't really let the conversation drift away from all of the crazy behavior I witness for 6 years.  It was almost as if I was building a case and that I needed to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that yes, my ex is a nice little cocktail of BPD, NPD, and a slice of HPD.  I couldn't just see these behaviors as crazy and leave it at that.  These behaviors, after all, were very familiar to me.  I grew up and had learned how to navigate abuse from a very early age.  I was a perfect match for my ex clusterB for all of the wrong reasons.  And that was a scary thought.

First, it made me realize that I do have issues of my own.  And with that came questions of blame.  Could it be my fault after all?  Could she have actually been right about me?  That crippling yet all to familiar fear overwhelmed me in my chair while discussing this with my therapist.  The answer is of course no but it was remarkable that even the notion that I could actually be to blame for her leaving could conjure those same feelings of fear and guilt that I associate only with my grandfather and my exClusterB.  But I realized that had it not been for my intense desires to please and caretake, my r/s with my ex wouldn't have lasted past the idealization phase.  Or who knows, I may not have gotten involved with her at all.  With all of this said, the scariest realization of all was that I married my grandfather.  I married the biggest tormentor I've ever had in my life.  

But so begins a new chapter.  I need to continue to heal.  I need to continue to pursue the things that redefine my individual identity.  I need to remain NC and work on myself.  I need to rebuild my self esteem.  But most importantly, I need to learn to kick all of these unhealthy survival habits I learned as a kid so that I don't end up in a situation like this ever again.  

Lastly, thank you to all who have commented and read this post and any others.  This site has provided so much of the validation that I have been sorely lacking over the last 6 years.  In addition to posting on this site, my biggest advice to anyone here is to find a good therapist.  And go.  Take it seriously.  Figure out what drove you to be with someone like this and work on yourself.  It has helped me tremendously.  Thanks to all and Happy Holidays y'all!

P.S. - I just remembered this.  My ex ClusterB also commented on how she got along so well with my grandfather.  She even said things like, "I think he really likes me." or "I seem to really get along with him."     Yes, that same grandfather that my entire family fears and walks on egg shells around.  That same grandfather that was both physically and emotionally abusive to those that loved him most.  That should have been my biggest red flag   of them all. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Grey Kitty

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) That sounds like fantastic work!

One thing which struck home for me was those accusations from your ex that you were believing instead of believing your own reality.

In my darkest and most isolated days in my marriage I was at the point of questioning my own reality. My wife was telling me what I was doing, why I was doing it. I always hated having her tell me what I was thinking and why, and I usually fought with her over it. I remember starting to ask myself if I was wrong and she was right. I never got quite to the point of believing her on everything, but I sure did hit the point of doing mental/emotional gymnastics that were nearly breaking me as a way to try to make her happy.

I'm so glad you are digging yourself out of that one.

And if it helps... .the realization that you married somebody who represents the most difficult person who raised you... .that kind of understanding is what will prevent you from falling back into that for a second marriage.
billypilgrim

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »

Thanks Grey Kitty.  I know I've still got a long road to go but it was a massive relief to not only identify my issues but also really hone in on how I ended up here. 

I hear you on the questioning your own reality stuff.  I even find myself doing it now and I'm 2 months out despite all that I've learned and how far I've come.  I also find myself still wondering what she would think about me doing this or that.  I have to remind myself not to do that but it really is crazy how conditioned I let things get with myself. 

I've got to continue to detach.  And I know that time is the only thing that will really help with that.  I still can't believe how fast all this has happened.  I guess that's just indicative of the disorder in general.  Impulsive, fast paced, and reckless from start to finish.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest