Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 10:54:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Phase, New Point (Part 8)  (Read 1272 times)
MissyM

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »

GK, I totally get the flip flopping on the relationship based upon our pwBPDs behavior.  I agree with FF about the "line in the sand".  Whenever I lay out a hard boundary like that to my dBPDh, then he responds like a teenager that is told what to do (and anyone that has teenagers knows how that goes)!

My dBPDh and I have had a lot of marital therapy but the people we are working with right now have a lot of experience with addiction and PDs.  They told my husband that part of the therapeutic agreement was to not talk about divorce and even more challenging not to think about divorce while working with them.  This is the assignment for him when frustrated by any disagreement that is the 1st place my dBPDh goes in his head.  Having that shift in thinking has made a tremendous difference in our attitude and approach towards each other.  As long as that thought keeps swirling around in his head, it keeps us from being able to work on our problems in a productive way and that is going to make divorce inevitable.  So my suggestion is find a good MC and let them bring up no divorce threats, thinking or talk.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cole

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »

Grey Kitty,

Just found and read this thread. Sorry to hear what you are going through, I have been through it a few times myself.

Last time my wife pulled this was November. Very same story: Let's get a divorce. We will be friends. I will come over and cook for you. We will still do things together. You will drop off the kids, it will be snowing and you will spend the night. etc... .

This time, I set a boundary. I told her I do not want a divorce, but if she does that is up to her. I will help her pack. I will help her move. Then, we will have no contact except what is necessary to co-parent kids. I told her I was too young and had too much to offer someone new, and if I met that person, I did not want a clingy ex ruining it.  

I called her bluff and she decided maybe we should try to work things out. In our case, I think she wanted the romantic fantasy of me pursuing her like we were still dating.

Not saying this is the answer for you, but maybe provides some insight into her thinking? Seems like pwBPD thrive on being pursued, something that is lost after a few years of marriage.

Bloomer

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married on November 5, 2012

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »

GK, I totally get the flip flopping on the relationship based upon our pwBPDs behavior.  I agree with FF about the "line in the sand".  Whenever I lay out a hard boundary like that to my dBPDh, then he responds like a teenager that is told what to do (and anyone that has teenagers knows how that goes)!

My dBPDh and I have had a lot of marital therapy but the people we are working with right now have a lot of experience with addiction and PDs.  They told my husband that part of the therapeutic agreement was to not talk about divorce and even more challenging not to think about divorce while working with them.  This is the assignment for him when frustrated by any disagreement that is the 1st place my dBPDh goes in his head.  Having that shift in thinking has made a tremendous difference in our attitude and approach towards each other.  As long as that thought keeps swirling around in his head, it keeps us from being able to work on our problems in a productive way and that is going to make divorce inevitable.  So my suggestion is find a good MC and let them bring up no divorce threats, thinking or talk.

My dBPDh and I have been playing ping-pong ball with the big D card for quite some time. It started as a game of solitaire and eventually I got so fed up that I started playing too. I think I'll maybe bring this up as a big one to work on right now to clear the air a bit. Thanks!

Bloomer

maric

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 9 months out of RS

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »

Hey Grey,

I'm sorry you have been going through this. I just want to add some thought about something I have been thinking about.

There was a post where you said that you are spending 70% of your time to deal with emotional stuff. And I know for sure how it feels because I was there too – now I think I spend some 30% on that, and I'm trying my best to bring it down even more.

I'm sure you love her very much, but it also seems that you are putting so much energy on someone who is not very much committed. And yes, she can still love you, but at the same time not being committed to you or the rs. But is it that what you want/need for your life? Loving is easy, staying committed is the hard work. And, it seems, she does not seem to be much of a hard worker.

So what about using some of the energy you are spending on fixing the rs trying to disengage from it? Maybe practicing some letting go? Trying to get your energy back? Bringing the focus down to YOU only?

I'm sorry for the situation, I hope you are ok tonight. <3

maric

Relationship status: 9 months out of RS

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »

And oh, at the same time... .as she seems to not be much of a hard worker, you seem to be like employee #1 of a multinational company. Use this hard work on you. <3

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »

Bloomer/MissyM, I may try the boundary that I'm not going to discuss ending our r/s with her outside of a couples therapy appointment.

That is a bit gentler than "If you tell me again, I'll believe you."
Grey Kitty

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »

And oh, at the same time... .as she seems to not be much of a hard worker, you seem to be like employee #1 of a multinational company. Use this hard work on you. <3

Actually I'd characterize her as a someone who pushes herself very hard, in most everything she does. Lately she pushes herself until exhaustion then collapses for a while, then recovers, and repeats the process.

You know the saying "I like work, I can watch it all day." I DO have a significant capacity for that, more than many people, my wife included.

However... .your point that she's not putting work out there for me, or into our r/s is very well made. You aren't the only person pointing this out to me.
MissyM

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »

Excerpt
Bloomer/MissyM, I may try the boundary that I'm not going to discuss ending our r/s with her outside of a couples therapy appointment.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »

Excerpt

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Sometimes lately I feel I'm at this point too or almost.  I struggle with fear with this one.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »

However... .your point that she's not putting work out there for me, or into our r/s is very well made. You aren't the only person pointing this out to me.

What is she working on?

Grey Kitty

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2015, 10:56:41 PM »

I just realized what a bizarre waiting game / stalemate I'm in with my wife right now.

I'm trying to NOT talk to her about big ticket relationship issues outside of couples T (which hasn't been arranged yet, I believe. I'm letting my wife do it) [My further expansion of the boundary of not talking about ending the r/s. So far untested, as I've not talked to her in a couple days]

She suggested some sort of marriage w/o commitment, where we could do things together but be more free. I expressed lack of interest in a marriage like that.

I told her that cutting contact with this guy was a condition for me staying in our marriage.

She isn't in contact, although she said she would talk to him when she sees him, and that she still considers him a friend. (Last I heard a couple days ago)

We aren't living together. She's not really welcome on the boat, 'tho I did let her visit. I asked her about visiting her in her new place, and she was a little evasive, then told me she wasn't ready for that.

Honestly, we're both doing more to avoid the pain of dividing assets, and divorce, than we are to stay together or work things out.

And lastly... .I'm realizing that she's still (again? Maybe she stopped for a while, or maybe she just wasn't under enough stress for it to show up?) fully in the throws of BPD-like mind-games. Without being directly abusive toward me. Well... .not direct verbal abuse. The fine line that puts things like cheating, or telling me that she's done with our marriage short of abuse isn't making me feel any less hurt or pressured than the original abuse did.
patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 12:22:04 AM »

GK, I'm feeling your discomfort and sadness through these posts. It seems like you're letting yourself feel it too, which is good.

Honestly I don't get the concept of a boundary of not talking about ending the r/s except in MC. Not sure how one side of a couple can enforce that one.

To me, it's a mark of basic respect for one's partner that either person can always put issues on the table. Our job is to decide on our response ... .Not to stop the conversation from starting.  To try to rule out certain conversations because we don't like what might happen if they occur is genuinely controlling, or avoidant, or both.

This is tough stuff. It just sounds like the two of you don't want the same thing. Sometimes that happens and no one is wrong. A match that once seemed workable can evolve so that the two people do damage to one another because their values and priorities are too different.

What she's choosing is hurting you. I'm sorry.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »

Hi GK,

I just realized what a bizarre waiting game / stalemate I'm in with my wife right now.

Any new found clarity upon waking up?

Honestly I don't get the concept of a boundary of not talking about ending the r/s except in MC. Not sure how one side of a couple can enforce that one.

Hmm yea, I don't really understand this, either.

I'm trying to NOT talk to her about big ticket relationship issues outside of couples T (which hasn't been arranged yet, I believe. I'm letting my wife do it) [My further expansion of the boundary of not talking about ending the r/s. So far untested, as I've not talked to her in a couple days]

Especially since you've put the ball in her court in finding the MC.  If it's your boundary, then I believe it's up to you to initiate it, enforce it, not wait for her to.  Obviously, things need to be discussed.

Honestly, we're both doing more to avoid the pain of dividing assets, and divorce, than we are to stay together or work things out.

I've gone through a divorce, Grey Kitty.  It was the leading up to it that was the hardest.  When I was truly ready to face it, it felt freeing.  I was finally speaking my truth, ready to live my values, not waiting around for him to see things my way.  We were no longer good for each other, we were bringing each other down.  There was no desire from either of us to work things out.  And even if there was, it would have to be both of us, otherwise we would remain stagnant at best, while miserable is more like it.

Standing in the way of someone else's dreams isn't my style.  I don't have to understand why they have those dreams, simply accept that they do and that those dreams don't belong to me.

We aren't living together. She's not really welcome on the boat, 'tho I did let her visit. I asked her about visiting her in her new place, and she was a little evasive, then told me she wasn't ready for that.

Right now, this is your relationship, this is what your relationship has become.

And lastly... .I'm realizing that she's still (again? Maybe she stopped for a while, or maybe she just wasn't under enough stress for it to show up?) fully in the throws of BPD-like mind-games. Without being directly abusive toward me. Well... .not direct verbal abuse. The fine line that puts things like cheating, or telling me that she's done with our marriage short of abuse isn't making me feel any less hurt or pressured than the original abuse did.

While the both of you had a hand in getting to this point... . It will take both of you to move beyond it, whatever that looks like.

Bloomer

Relationship status: married on November 5, 2012

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2015, 08:33:37 AM »

I am sorry about your stalemate. It's a very difficult position for you to be in and I have to agree that it does seem like a BPD mind game. She wants you, but on her terms and if you can't bend all the way then she's out BUT she's not doing anything to make that concrete even though you've stated you don't like her terms. She's not really doing anything to help the goal of staying or leaving.

The worst part of this is that unless you commit to leaving, you probably won't know how she really feels because that will be when she is willing to bend not to lose you.   

vortex of confusion

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 08:41:39 AM »

How long are you willing to wait? How long will you be okay with this stalemate/waiting game?

Excerpt

I am not quite sure how to phrase this but it triggered something in me that I have been dealing with in my relationship. I get so mad when I want to talk about things but get shut down because he isn't ready to talk about it or he doesn't want to deal with it. Yes, delaying a conversation until both parties are ready, willing, and able to tackle the hard issues can be helpful. However, I find it very frustrating when I am put off indefinitely or given a list of conditions that must exist in order to talk about the difficult stuff. On my side, it feels like my husband is avoiding things because he doesn't want to face the truth. It feels like he wants to string me along forever because he doesn't want to lose me while at the same time not really taking things as seriously as I would like. If you want to go see a couples T together, then you can make the appointment. I know that in my situation, I am very reluctant to go see a T with my husband because I don't know if there is anything to save. If he were to come to me and tell me to make an appointment to go see a T so we could talk about our relationship, I would probably refuse. And, if he pushed me to do it, I might agree to get him to shut up and then not follow up because of his tendency to not hear what I am saying.

I am not trying to be mean. I am wondering why you want to be in a relationship with somebody that has shown through their actions and their words that she doesn't want to be with you. I ask myself that question all the time. And the truth is that I don't. I just don't know what else to do at this point in time. So, I am trying to find ways to keep things peaceful.

Excerpt

Here is a question to consider: If you aren't living together and aren't even completely welcome in each other's homes, then what is the rush? You have been separated with a commitment. Why not separate without any kind of commitment to give you both more time to sort stuff out?

Excerpt

I am curious about something. What if she is really done? Her actions and her words about being done are in alignment. When my husband's actions and words are in alignment, then I know that things are serious.

And, I am probably looking at things from a completely different perspective than others because a lot of the things that you are saying about your wife are probably things that my husband could say about me right now. Part of that comes from the frustration of not feeling heard. Your wife has made it pretty clear what she wants, which is a no commitment marriage where you can both do whatever you want. That doesn't work for you and that is okay. Do you think that asking for what you want in a T's office is going to get her to change her mind? And, can you trust that what is said in a T's office will be followed or make any kind of real changes or progress happen? That is part of the reason that I am reluctant to go to a T with my husband. I don't think it will make an ounce of difference. My husband will put on a show for me and the therapist and little if anything will really change.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »

" get so mad when I want to talk about things but get shut down because he isn't ready to talk about it or he doesn't want to deal with it. Yes, delaying a conversation until both parties are ready, willing, and able to tackle the hard issues can be helpful. However, I find it very frustrating when I am put off indefinitely or given a list of conditions that must exist in order to talk about the difficult stuff. On my side, it feels like my husband is avoiding things because he doesn't want to face the truth. It feels like he wants to string me along forever because he doesn't want to lose me while at the same time not really taking things as seriously as I would like. "

That is right on for me Vortex. We are in T, but the focus is usually on me and how I need to change. I can't tell if my H is there because he really wants to change or because he thinks that being there is going to change me. Regardless, it is a sign of a big commitment for him to go since it takes away from his work. Sometimes the T will help us resolve some issues. It is a safe place for me to talk to him because he won't rage in front of the T. Since this is the first time he has not refused to go- in years, I don't want to stop it. Sometimes the T can get him to pay attention to taking care of his own feelings and that is a big step. I used to resent that the focus was on me, but I know I had plenty of my own stuff to work on and so I am now grateful for it and grateful that he took this step to be there.

Ironically, I think my openess about feelings is what attracted him to me and that it is what makes him uncomfortable. He usually refuses to talk about anything important- like your H- which is a way of being in control and I suppose not being accountable- because that would be shame of being blamed. However, I can't make him talk if he's not going to, and pushing at that (brick wall) boundary doesn't work at all.

Nobody in his FOO talks about feelings. They all sneak around it by other ways. They look like the perfect couple on the surface. My mom on the other hand threw her feelings all over the place. They were everywhere. Neither way gives anyone any tools to deal with feelings. Neither of us had good tools for that.

I assumed that was what my H wanted- the calm and cool on the surface no talking family ( that deals with feelings in another maladaptive way)  but when I don't talk to him, he says he doesn't like it because he says it isn't me being me. That's true to an extent as I kept quiet to keep the peace even though I really wished we could talk. Now, I just don't want to have exhausting, triggering, conversations that lead to nowhere. If he wants me to know what he is feeling, he can tell me. If I need for him to know something, I will try to use SET

Another reason is that my overfunctioning feelings let him underfunction. If I push him to share it gives him a nice reason to explode and blame me for it. I don't want to be that outlet. Maybe my not talking makes him uncomfortable because he can't blame me- but since that is the way his family works, he knows better. That's their game. I don't know, but honestly at this point it is the same question you asked Grey Kitty- why be with someone who doesn't want to be with you. Why would I want to have a conversation with someone who doesn't want to talk to me?
Grey Kitty

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »

Update. Good news. My wife is talking to two different local T options. One has an appointment Thursday penciled in, and she's still in the phone-tag stage with the other. She called to confirm it was OK, and I once again reassured her that I was good with her choice on it. We had a friendly conversation, and I explained a bit of what I am writing just below with her.

Re: not discussing heavy stuff / ending the r/s... .I see discussions like that with her right now in the category of insanity--doing the same thing again and again, expecting a different result.

These discussions don't seem to go well. We don't end up resolving things or getting closer together. Instead they end up with both of us getting more entrenched in our positions. More ready to give up on our r/s. ... .But with my wife still giving me a mixed message, even at the end of it.

I've gone through a divorce, Grey Kitty.  It was the leading up to it that was the hardest.  When I was truly ready to face it, it felt freeing.  I was finally speaking my truth, ready to live my values, not waiting around for him to see things my way.

I completely believe you. I'm not quite to that point yet.

She doesn't sound like she is either.

Excerpt
We were no longer good for each other, we were bringing each other down.  There was no desire from either of us to work things out.  And even if there was, it would have to be both of us, otherwise we would remain stagnant at best, while miserable is more like it.

If I believed that this was our situation I'd be done already.

VOC, these two questions play against each other... .

How long are you willing to wait? How long will you be okay with this stalemate/waiting game?

Excerpt

Here is a question to consider: If you aren't living together and aren't even completely welcome in each other's homes, then what is the rush? You have been separated with a commitment. Why not separate without any kind of commitment to give you both more time to sort stuff out?

I'm not comfortable stuck going nowhere in my life waiting for my wife.
Grey Kitty

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »

And... .the big question... .what am I going to do about it?

Plan A: Demand that my wife behave better and wait for her to do it. (Geez, that hasn't worked well for years!)

Plan B: Stop demanding anything of my wife, and wait for her to behave better. (OK, I've done that too!)

Plan C: React blindly to whatever crisis my wife creates... .this time. (Well, maybe I did that one ahead of plan A? I dunno?)

There may be a few more plans I've already discarded that I can't remember  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Plan Z: Write the marriage off and move on with my life. (I'm not there. YET.)

Making my marriage work is going to require a better plan on my part. I'm working on it. Chewing on it. Not there yet.

I'm starting with my own values, and applying them toward my marriage.

Looking at how my behavior in my marriage is working toward or against my values.

Looking at the uncomfortable feelings that tell me something isn't working, and looking for what is against my values.

Looking at where I've been sacrificing my own needs for my wife or our marriage.

I'm still working through it. Look for more updates on my plan / strategy as I figure it out.

... .and I'm aware that without effort on my wife's part, the marriage won't succeed. I'm ready to accept that. What I'm not ready to accept is ending it without feeling I've done my best to make it work.
MissyM

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »

Excerpt
... .and I'm aware that without effort on my wife's part, the marriage won't succeed. I'm ready to accept that. What I'm not ready to accept is ending it without feeling I've done my best to make it work.

I was there earlier last year.  I decided within myself (and with the help of some therapists) what amount of time I was willing to give it before it turned around or I would want out of the relationship.  It allowed me to focus on myself and do the things I needed and not feel as much pressure.  None of this was shared with my dBPDh, it was just for me to figure out for myself.

I happen to agree with not discussing heavy things outside of therapy, it has worked for my dBPDh and I.  I know of many couples in marital therapy that have this agreement. Interestingly enough, the therapists we are seeing do not want us discussing anything heavy outside of therapy.  They said that without the skills needed and more positive interactions between us, it would just damage our relationship further.  Of course, that doesn't work if you aren't actually in marital therapy.  Hope you find an MC soon!
MissyM

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »

Excerpt
That is part of the reason that I am reluctant to go to a T with my husband. I don't think it will make an ounce of difference. My husband will put on a show for me and the therapist and little if anything will really change.

Vortex, I can understand feeling this way.  Most Ts are not experienced enough to handle someone with BPD and what you describe is exactly what will happen.  I believe it takes a specialized therapist and us being very clear with a Ts about what is going on.  Since your H has been diagnosed as a sex addict, therapists will already be aware there is something going on and not take everything he says at face value.  I happen to be a fan of EFT (emotion focus therapy) and DBT or CBT.  So, if you decide to go to marital therapy, I encourage you to find someone that can utilize modalities that work with someone that has BPD.
Cole

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »

Plan A: Demand that my wife behave better and wait for her to do it. (Geez, that hasn't worked well for years!)

Plan B: Stop demanding anything of my wife, and wait for her to behave better. (OK, I've done that too!)

Plan C: React blindly to whatever crisis my wife creates... .this time. (Well, maybe I did that one ahead of plan A? I dunno?)

There may be a few more plans I've already discarded that I can't remember  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Making my marriage work is going to require a better plan on my part. I'm working on it. Chewing on it. Not there yet.

Looking at how my behavior in my marriage is working toward or against my values.

Looking at the uncomfortable feelings that tell me something isn't working, and looking for what is against my values.

Looking at where I've been sacrificing my own needs for my wife or our marriage.

I'm still working through it. Look for more updates on my plan / strategy as I figure it out.

I think many of us have been through plans A, B, and C and contemplated plan Z. You have lots of understanding here.

November we did plan X, where she said she was leaving and I offered to help her pack. Explained once it is over, it is over, no going back, no being friends, no hanging out, I will be looking for someone new. She lost interest in leaving pretty quick.  

Now we are on plan Y. Yesterday I told her June 1st is the deadline to see certain changes or I was filing. Gave it to her in writing along with the list of things that need to change and my attorney's business card so she understood I was serious.

Putting it into a plan with hard dates, budgetary numbers of what it will cost to divorce, and proposed custody schedules seems to be the much needed wake-up call. She had a romanticized view of divorce where I would be chasing after her like we were dating. Reality Check! She is suddenly very interested in what we can do to avoid plan Z.  

Again, do not know if this is the right approach for you, but it seems to be working here.    
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »

There may be a few more plans I've already discarded that I can't remember  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I think many of us have been through plans A, B, and C and contemplated plan Z. You have lots of understanding here.

November we did plan X, where she said she was leaving and I offered to help her pack. Explained once it is over, it is over, no going back, no being friends, no hanging out, I will be looking for someone new. She lost interest in leaving pretty quick.  

Now we are on plan Y. Yesterday I told her June 1st is the deadline to see certain changes or I was filing. Gave it to her in writing along with the list of things that need to change and my attorney's business card so she understood I was serious.

Putting it into a plan with hard dates, budgetary numbers of what it will cost to divorce, and proposed custody schedules seems to be the much needed wake-up call. She had a romanticized view of divorce where I would be chasing after her like we were dating. Reality Check! She is suddenly very interested in what we can do to avoid plan Z.  

Again, do not know if this is the right approach for you, but it seems to be working here.    

Honestly, I'm about here Cole.  People have told me they believe that is when my wife's crap will stop.  No one believes she wants a divorce, but they also believe that she has no reason to change anything either because everything is in her favor right now, doesn't want to tell her family the truth nor deal with her deep seeded issues.  I'm about here... .When she has threatened divorce, I've said, ":)o what you feel you need to do." and she has always backed down because it was an effort to get her way.  Why June 1st Cole, just curious?  Why not sooner?
vortex of confusion

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »

These discussions don't seem to go well. We don't end up resolving things or getting closer together. Instead they end up with both of us getting more entrenched in our positions. More ready to give up on our r/s. ... .But with my wife still giving me a mixed message, even at the end of it.

I am thinking about the mixed messages. I know that I am sending my husband mixed messages. We are both sending each other mixed messages in different ways. Could it be that she thinks you are sending mixed messages as well? I am going to try to explain what I mean based on some of the stuff that has happened between me and my husband. You have said some things repeatedly. I am not sure how many times you have stated that you cannot be in the kind of relationship that you are in with your wife. In order to stay, she is going to have to do certain things. That is fine but she has repeatedly shown you through her actions and words that she is not going to do those things. At what point are you going to listen to what she is saying? If you are telling her that she has to cut contact with the guy in order to stay in the relationship and she isn't cutting contact and you aren't leaving, then isn't that a mixed message? Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

Excerpt
VOC, these two questions play against each other... .

Do they really? I see them as different shades of grey depending on what you want to do and how long you are willing to play the game. If you have the patience to wait longer and take a different approach than the current one, then how is that a stalemate. You say that you don't want to wait but that is exactly what you are doing. I am not trying to be a butt. I know how impatient I get over this whole mess with my H. I want things resolved now so that I can get on with my life either way. It took a whole lot of years for us to get into this mess, it could take a couple years to get out of it.

And, I had another thought that I have been toying with. Have you drawn the distinction between the legal aspects of the marriage and the emotional aspects of the marriage? I am not sure if it would help or not but I do know that is something that I have put some thought into. Dividing assets, custody, and all that could get rather messy. I can honor the legal aspects of the marriage without necessarily being emotionally invested in the marriage. I don't think I am explaining myself very well.

Excerpt

There may be a few more plans I've already discarded that I can't remember  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I am going to ask a question that I have asked my husband on occasion. I seem to recall you mentioning that you had been pretty checked out for a while and you did not respond to your wife's requests for romance, etc. Yes, you are making all of this effort NOW. You are quite clearly fighting to save your marriage and get your wife's attention, interest, commitment, etc. How long were you and your wife in that push/pull mode before you woke up and realized what was going on? I ask that because I have spent years trying to woo my husband. I have spent years making him a priority and trying to connect with him. I have tried so many different things with him. And now, he seems to be trying. To be brutally honest, there are times that I want to laugh at how ridiculous it is for him to think that he could put me off and ignore me for all of those and then one day wake up and decide to work on things and have me believe that he is being sincere and that the changes will stick.

And, I know the fact that my husband treats me better when I have a lover than when I don't wears on my psyche. I seem to recall that you mentioned in one thread how you upped your game in the romance department when she had a romantic lover. My husband told me to cut it off with my lover on a couple of occasions. I honored his request several different times. When I would honor that request, he would get lazy and it felt like he can only up his game and take an interest in me when there is some kind of direct competition. Our situations are different in a lot of ways but this is something to think about. Why should she trust you to not slip back into old patterns? Why should she commit to you? Have your actions towards her shown her that she can trust you? I know that BPD complicates matters but I think it helps to think about those things and try to approach it from a more objective stand point and look at it in terms of YOUR behavior rather than continuing to make it about her and her behavior. It isn't easy, that is for certain.

Excerpt

Why not start with your own values and apply them towards yourself without regard to the marriage? I am not saying that you should ignore the marriage. I am trying to say that maybe you would feel less stuck if you focused more on yourself and applying your values to you as a human being rather than as part of a relationship. I know that is a bit fuzzy. It sounds good in my head. :-)

I bring this up because this is something that I am trying to verbalize for myself. I feel like I have defined myself in terms of my roles as a wife and mother for so long that I have forgotten how to be a person. Everything I do tends to be focused on the marriage or the kids. Those aren't bad things but it does occasionally help to say, "Forget it, I am not going to think about things in relationship to the marriage. I am going to think about things in relation to ME." I am hoping that once I figure some of that out, I can make more progress in one direction or the other.

Excerpt

Something that I know about myself is that I don't think I will ever get to a point where I feel that I have done my best to make it work. I am working on letting that go and letting myself get to a place where I will be okay if I reach a point where I say, "That's enough." I have made it this far by continuing to berate and belittle myself for not doing enough or trying hard enough. If I am tired and exhausted and want out, I want to be in a position where I can give myself permission to get out without feeling guilty for not trying hard enough.

Cole

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »

Honestly, I'm about here Cole.  People have told me they believe that is when my wife's crap will stop.  No one believes she wants a divorce, but they also believe that she has no reason to change anything either because everything is in her favor right now, doesn't want to tell her family the truth nor deal with her deep seeded issues.  I'm about here... .When she has threatened divorce, I've said, ":)o what you feel you need to do." and she has always backed down because it was an effort to get her way.  Why June 1st Cole, just curious?  Why not sooner?

June 1st school will be out and the kids would not have to deal with the initial part of this during the already stressful school year. And, it gives plenty of time to work on the changes I laid out:

1) Stop looking to your friends for counseling. They are not professionals. Half of them are more messed up than you and are doing more harm than good.

2) Stop counseling your messed up friends. You cannot deal with your own problems, stop taking on theirs.

2) Find a T you trust and start going. I will go with you, if you want. If she/he is not right, we will look for another until we find the right one.

3) I and the kids are to be a priority over FB friends or people you went to high school with and have not seen in 25 years.

4) Find a solution to the lack of intimacy in our marriage. We know the problem, now let's find a good T to help.

5) I will help you accomplish all these things, but in the end it is your responsibility.  

It is easy for the pwBPD to live in a fantasy world of their own concoction. In our case, she thought we would be "dating" after a divorce and I would be chasing after her to get her back. Replacing the fantasy with the pragmatic realities of divorce hit home with her. It is like when your kid refuses to clean his room, so you clean it for him with a trash bag and a donation box. Suddenly, this is real and it is time to change behavior.  

The list was carefully chosen. She has been working on all these things on her own recently, so all I really asked of her was to continue what she already determined she should be doing. It validated her that she is doing the right things and that they were her idea.

Timing was on my side, as well She had a wonderful epiphany in church yesterday, so she was in the mood to embrace positive change.

Yes, there are those who say this may have been risky. I do not recommend it unless you are prepared to follow through. For me, I was willing to take the risk. I love my wife, but I cannot live in a half-marriage anymore and am prepared to go forward with divorce proceedings if it comes to that.  
jedimaster

Relationship status: Married - 34 yrs; Separated - 2 weeks; Divorced - ASAP

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »

Wow, GK.  I've kinda been off the boards last couple of days and thought things were stable where you are.  So sorry to read this thread.   

I suppose over the last 33 years of my marriage I have gone about as far as you are going, with the exception of the cheating.  You've seen some of my other posts so you know I've pretty much made the decision to end it when I get a plan in place.  I've had to take a hard look at where I am and my age, etc, and decide if the results that might come of trying to create some kind of tolerable r/s will leave me any life left by the time I'm done.  I just don't think I can give that much more of my life given that I'm not really seeing much in the way of positive results now, with the exception that I do feel much better than I did a few months ago.  But I'm not really seeing any changes in her, and from all I see and learn it doesn't really appear likely that I will. 

I know you are trying to take care of you, as we all are supposed to.  I would ask, is trying to keep this r/s together the best thing for Grey Kitty, given all the effort it is taking and the mixed results?  Maybe taking care of GK will require letting it go.  Not suggesting that's what you should do, but just asking if you've looked at it that way.  For me, I've concluded that going to T and support groups, etc, and all the other "good things" we all do to help ourselves aren't going to be enough, I'm afraid. 

"Do.  Or do not.  There is no try."  | "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”  |  "Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." ~ Yoda
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its post limit, and is now closed. This is a worthwhile topic, and you are encouraged to start a new thread to continue the conversation. Thanks for understanding... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest