Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had appointment with psychiatrist  (Read 425 times)
Shell Shocked

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: March 05, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »

Hi again.  First I just want to say that I am really grateful to have found this board.  I have been reading more than posting, and I can tell that many of you have been doing this for a long time.  Your responses to new and frazzled parents really show to to validate feelings and listen with empathy.  I am learning.

My husband and I had the initial appointment with the psychiatrist today.  He thought it might be good for us to come in first to give a history since my daughter is so resistant to therapy.  I liked him.  He really listened and he asked great questions.  I don't know if that is the difference between seeing a psychologist/therapist and a psychiatrist or if we have just missed the mark with the other.  For the first time I didn't feel like my concerns were brushed aside as "teen behavior" or that my daughter's only problem was that she was a "pathological night owl" who needed to reset her body clock.  He said she was clearly exhibiting BPD and NPD traits but didn't want me to feel hopeless or that it was a "death sentence."  He said that he thinks from listening to us and our story that this has been going on for a long time and was very deep rooted.  He said he also thinks it comes from a place of deep pain but not to beat myself up.  That she is a tough case and he will help her but it is going to be a long road. 

It's a starting point.  I feel heard.  I hope that my daughter is willing to work with him and get help. 
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »

That is wonderful news!

In my neck of the woods psychiatrists check in every 3 or 4 months with a patient... ask a few question, adjust meds if needed and send you off on your merry little way.  Psychologists visit with patients weekly and sessions last from 45 min to an hour or so... .

To have an MD as a therapist who can also rx meds is a true blessing!  I hope that your d and this professional click and she will begin to work on self very soon.

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:44 PM »

Hi again Shell Shocked

My husband and I had the initial appointment with the psychiatrist today.  He thought it might be good for us to come in first to give a history since my daughter is so resistant to therapy.  I liked him.  He really listened and he asked great questions.  I don't know if that is the difference between seeing a psychologist/therapist and a psychiatrist or if we have just missed the mark with the other.  For the first time I didn't feel like my concerns were brushed aside as "teen behavior" or that my daughter's only problem was that she was a "pathological night owl" who needed to reset her body clock.  He said she was clearly exhibiting BPD and NPD traits but didn't want me to feel hopeless or that it was a "death sentence."  He said that he thinks from listening to us and our story that this has been going on for a long time and was very deep rooted.  He said he also thinks it comes from a place of deep pain but not to beat myself up.  That she is a tough case and he will help her but it is going to be a long road.  

I am pleased to hear you've now found someone that takes your concerns seriously. Sometimes it takes time to get the right 'fit' whether it be a psychiatrist or a psychologist/therapist. But the important thing is that you now have found someone who seems realistic about the difficulties that lie ahead while also offering hope for the future. BPD is defintely a challenging disorder, but there are many people with BPD who through hard work have managed to better deal with their difficult thoughts and emotions which has allowed them to improve their behavior.

It's a starting point.  I feel heard.  I hope that my daughter is willing to work with him and get help.  

I hope this too. Do you feel like your daughter has in anyway ever acknowledged that there might be something wrong with her? Has she ever expressed a willingness to work on her issues?

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Shell Shocked

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »

lbj - that is what I liked about this psychiatrist.  He told me that he is "old school" and that many in his profession have turned into pharmacologist and just prescribe.  He believes strongly in therapy and it happens that he is a doctor and can prescribe if necessary.  While he will work with other therapists to manage medications, he prefers to do the therapy with his patients himself.  Ofcourse he doesn't accept my insurance... .but that is just something we need to deal with right now.  We really struggled finding a good fit who did.  He said he went into practice to help people, not to spend his time on the phone battling insurance companies.  He just tries to keep his prices affordable.  He is pretty busy so hopefully that is a good sign.

Kwamina - She does not admit to us that she has a problem.  She says that WE are the problem.  She is a pretty textbook high functioning BP from what I am reading.  However, I have seen some things she has journaled and some texts to a friend where she knows she has a problem and she admits that she is wrong about things.  She has some concerns about therapy and privacy that make it prohibitive for her.  We haven't had much success in therapy with her but I am hoping the fact that this is a "real doctor" she rolled her eyes at the thought of a psychologist not being one, and the fact that this is a man and she has not done well with women, will help. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest