Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to set and reinforce boundaries without it sounding like an ultimatum?  (Read 361 times)
Lumpy_

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 30, 2015, 07:13:05 AM »

I have of course, avoided ever using, 'you' or saying things like, "if you ever do this, I'd leave"  etc., but my partner still feels that I've said I'd break up if he ever did any of the things I've set personal boundaries over.

I have only ever said, "I couldn't deal with that" in regards to people in other relationships when friends have brought up issues etc.

I have reassured him that that's not what I meant, but he's now complaining he feels like there are, 'rules'. Help?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:28:31 AM »

How long has it been since you've spent time in the boundaries lesson on BPdfamily?  Give it another shot... .see if that gives you any ideas.

This is from my perspective... .language really matters... .also delivery of the language... (tone and all of that).

but my partner still feels  

This is the key in this entire post... .and one that you have limited ability to deal with.  Remember... .your partners feelings are his.  You don't have to agree or disagree with them.  

Many times it appears pwBPD symptoms deliberately misinterpret us to get a fight going... or something like that... we'll never know for sure.  What we do know for sure... .is that very little good ever comes out of those interactions... .

Don't participate... .or have a very limited participation focusing on an exit

Here's a good exercise for you to try.  Think about SET format... .can you design a SET... .so that the "t" part of it states your position... .and exits the conversation?

I have only ever said, "I couldn't deal with that"

Two things here.  

1. You could change your language to "I would find that troubling... "

2.  He is most likely using these theoretical questions... .to find information... .to then accuse you with.  Probably not deliberate (planned).  Have you noticed his emotional state when he is asking these questions?  Might be good to avoid these questions in the future. (keep the ammo put away... .)  Smiling (click to insert in post)

but he's now complaining he feels like there are, 'rules'.  

Well... there are rules now... .correct?  If in his mind boundaries equals rules... .which it sort of does.  It's over to him if he wants to follow those or not...

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »

Hi Lumpy_,

Excerpt
I have reassured him that that's not what I meant, but he's now complaining he feels like there are, 'rules'. Help?

well, this is a common struggle with understanding boundaries. It comes from not fully understanding that "boundaries are rules FOR OURSELVES". Not fully getting your head around the "for ourselves" is where things break down. There is no good solution for trying to communicate a boundary to another person who is likely to step over it without risking to appear as controlling. Because when you do that you are de-facto controlling, you want your statements to make an impact on the behavior on the other side and it is not surprising the other side takes notice and feels like listening to rules.

There are several aspects to worth contemplating:

1) Do you have a need to get the ok from the other side for your boundary? Would not be surprising in an enmeshed relationship. Freeing yourself from this need is a big and important step.

2) As (at least for the first boundaries) it is likely that it will be crossed a few times is it worth communicating details. What benefit would the other side which is struggling to control themselves get from that? Would it not be more important to re-assure consistently that a time-out is a time-out, a time-out is for you and not hostile and not the end of the world?

3) Is it a risk to communicate where exactly the line for you is? The other side may be leveraging this for playing games and toeing the line just to get you on the edge. Unacceptable behavior is unacceptable behavior and the other side does not need to know where exactly for you totally unacceptable begins. In fact some uncertainty here may be beneficial as it decreases the sense of control for the other side.

4) Are you very afraid of having to defend the boundary? Then if it is not important you should not have it. And if it is critically important then the price you are paying is justified. It may not be pleasant and it may in extreme cases terminate the relationship but you had thought this through and were ok with it. If you have been here longer you will see that everyone had to defend their first boundaries because

a) they mattered

b) they were put explicitly in place because they were crossed habitually

c) breaking habits is hard. In most cases won't happen without an extinction burst.

So it is worth being worried, it is worth being prepared for an extinction burst but there is little you can do to prevent it. What you can do is manage the escalation during the burst by stepping away and validate the upset emotions around the boundary in the aftermath.

5) Boundaries are re-enforced by consistent behavior (and not talk) from your end.

Boundaries are initially not easy for most people on the staying board. After the first few they get easier and are respected with less extreme reaction from the other side. Getting them in place is one of the significant turning points and totally worth it.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest