Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 01:34:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Read this and it helped  (Read 366 times)
hope2727

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 02, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »

For anyone struggling today. Try reading this article and see if it doesn't strike a cord.

https://selfcarehaven.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/why-do-we-stay-dismantling-stereotypes-about-abuse-survivors/

"
Excerpt
Due to the potential infidelity, manipulation, put-downs, gaslighting and deception abuse survivors endured throughout their relationships, cognitive dissonance about who the abuser is, as well as a sense of incessant doubt, survivors may lack a sense of closure and certainty about ending an abusive relationship.  Understandably, many abuse victims don’t wish to let their abusers move onto the next victim after terrorizing them, because they fear that the next person might be treated better, thereby confirming their own sense of worthlessness that was instilled by the abuser in the first place. They may also have an unending sense of needing a real “apology”  or seeing karma at work before they feel they can truly let go."

This paragraph really resonated for me. I hope it can help someone else.
dobie

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »

For anyone struggling today. Try reading this article and see if it doesn't strike a cord.

https://selfcarehaven.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/why-do-we-stay-dismantling-stereotypes-about-abuse-survivors/

"
Excerpt
Due to the potential infidelity, manipulation, put-downs, gaslighting and deception abuse survivors endured throughout their relationships, cognitive dissonance about who the abuser is, as well as a sense of incessant doubt, survivors may lack a sense of closure and certainty about ending an abusive relationship.  Understandably, many abuse victims don’t wish to let their abusers move onto the next victim after terrorizing them, because they fear that the next person might be treated better, thereby confirming their own sense of worthlessness that was instilled by the abuser in the first place. They may also have an unending sense of needing a real “apology”  or seeing karma at work before they feel they can truly let go."

Wow thanks hope so spot on for me in so many ways 
LimboFL

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »

Thank you VERY much for sharing that Hope. It wraps everything we have an continue to go through into a concise and concentrated nutshell. Critical affirmation that what we are all going through is "normal". Thanks again.
Irish Pride

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »

"
Excerpt

It did for me too. Scarily, in fact. On one hand, I will NEVER go back to her and HOPE to never talk to her again, and on the other, I still feel the pain, long for the great memories and can't wrap my head around why. I'm in constant battle with myself. The head vs. the heart. It did help, for a bit last night, when I actually talked out loud to myself and went through the laundry list of why she is toxic and I am 100% better off without her. This am, it feels like I was just trying to kid myself.

Thank you for the article. This was a great read. This is my favorite quote

Excerpt
After the ending of an abusive relationship, survivors have the great privilege of uncovering their past traumas and the trauma they’ve just experienced and begin to work through them. The ending of this relationship is actually a golden opportunity to heal from the wounds that were never healed in the first place. The fear of being left alone with the pain has been overcome – the survivor now has the space and time to independently act, think and feel outside of the toxic dynamics of the previous relationship.

This is why, to me, the NC rule is so important. A wound will never heal if you keep picking at the scab.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest