Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:26:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: well, this is new  (Read 588 times)
myself

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »

She wanted him to prove himself to her, turning things into a test like pwBPD often do, and he wanted to prove himself. She brought up such an important, life-changing, relationship-cementing issue, pointed at the calendar with a "This could happen next week, are you in?", and then went on a two week trip instead. Putting the weight of committed intimacy on him while she runs from it. Leaving Max feeling, and dealing with... .What? How are you doing, Max? How's the "peace and quiet"? It's probably a relief in many ways. Hopefully you're using it as a time to relax, recharge, and regroup yourself for what's next.  Because another question is: Where is this going to go when she returns? From what you've described, it doesn't sound like the best situation to bring a kid into. She may not even really want one, just another time of muddying up the waters/acting out. She may also be feeling, "I want to be the baby. I'm the baby here."
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »

Staff only

There has been some "taking of sides" and callouts in this thread. We have removed two posts.

The topic centers on "she came in and told me she is going to go on a vacation by herself, or else she would wind up back in the hospital."

I wanted to remind everyone of the guidelines:

3.0 Discussion Format: bpdfamily/bpdfamily.com is set up as a collegium. We follow a Collegial Discussion format which is characterized as having "authority" vested equally among colleagues/peers. As such, members present their ideas in "collegial harmony" and the credibility of their positions are based solely on the quality of the points they advance in writing. Diversity is to be embraced - there is often much to be learned from others views and perspectives.

Please note that collegial discussion is different than debate. Debate is an argument or a discussion generally ending with a vote or agreement on the best decision. In debate, unity is the objective. Members are discouraged from debating and arguing against others' positions, questioning the wisdom of others, or restating of their position repeatedly. See also Advising and Supporting Others, Respecting Belief Systems, Divisive Exchanges, Lying and Misrepresentations, or Advocating for Others.

4.3 Exclusive or Cliquish Content: Cliques can form within the boundaries of any large group - being rewarding to those that are included, and at the same time, intimidating or off-putting to those that are not. In a community where there is a constant flow of emotionally injured new members, many suffering from diminished self esteem, we encourage the established members to be ambassadors of good will and reach out to be as welcoming and inclusive as possible. Appearances of exclusivity should be avoided, such as name callouts, insider topics, insider jokes, threads targeted at friends, etc. Threads and questions should not be directed to specific members or groups.

https://bpdfamily.com/content/terms-service

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »

Wow, Max, this is some serious stuff. I hope you get plenty of good time to yourself during this vacation!

Do you expect to hear from her frequently (or constantly?) while she's on vacation?
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

Soo.  I see this as good.  Good to have the peace and quiet.  Good for her to do something on her own.  

I just find it strange that me telling her I was ready to have a child (a half truth - I feel like my end is ready) is what set her off.

Is this a good "read" on the situation?

I haven't read the history here, but this seems far more complicated than a "statement" and a "reaction".

Most women do a lot of prep before taking a two week vacation - so they questions about whether this was a plan and or backup plan probably need exploration.

The crying in the car on the way to the airport is not a typical sign of someone going on a get-away.  There is some painful feelings there - exploring what this about is probably worth doing.

Is she overwhelmed and getting space - a good thing?

Is she doing something careless and impulsive?

Why?

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »

I certainly welcome the input here.  It is valuable.

My feelings are this was a game either way.  And I willingly participated.  Was it wrong to be untruthful?  Yes.  Do I regret it?  A little.  It was manipulation on my end.  And her trying to manipulate me is no excuse for doing the same in return. 

But I have gotten to a point where I am just so tired of this game, and I felt I needed to say something different - just take a different action.  Basically, I felt like she was trying to manipulate me.  Avoiding the question doesn't work.  Saying "No" and enforcing a boundary gives her what she wants.  it's more honest, but it is still playing her game.  I've been down that road dozens of times.  She wants me to say "no" so she has a reason to blame her life on me, and for months afterwards I hear about it.  So I tried option #3.  At this point in the r/s, I don't feel like I have much to lose.  I've tried so many approaches to help her see she is in charge of her own destiny so that she will quit blaming me.  I used to JADE.  Obviously, that doesn't work.  I've tried the boundaries - she still persists.  It feels like the r/s is doomed anyway unless something changes.

I'm slowly decompressing and enjoying the peace and quiet.  She sends me text messages a few times a day, and is for the most part in good spirits. 

maxsterling

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »

In reply to skip -

She's a runner.  That's one of her ways of coping when she feels overwhelmed.  It's not always a bad coping skill - we all need time alone.  I think it is good for her to recognize it and take action.

I think she had been thinking about this for awhile.  So it wasn't completely impulsive.

This is more than a "statement" and a "reaction".  I think she has some deeper feelings about the marriage and relationship in general, especially some internal shame.  I'm sure past relationship failures are a factor here, too.  I got a vibe when she was she was buying her ticket that her attitude was that she may never come back.  But it didn't take long for that attitude to shift.

Verbena

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »

Max, is she vacationing completely by herself?  I know pwBPD rarely can tolerate being alone so I was wondering.  Do you anticipate that she will stay gone the entire two weeks?  I really hope she does because you need at least that much time to get your strength up for what happens next.  You deserve this time to yourself. 
maxsterling

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »

She went to go visit her best friend.

Verbena

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »

Is this the woman who was swapping prescriptions with her the night before the wedding and the one she suggested join the two of you in a three-way? 
maxsterling

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »

Is this the woman who was swapping prescriptions with her the night before the wedding and the one she suggested join the two of you in a three-way? 

That's the one.  Interestingly, she says the friend has lost a bunch of weight and seems to be taking more pain meds and is in more pain now.  She never suggested a "three way", but suggested I marry both of them, later said it was a joke, but also said that if I was to cheat on her with her friend, she would not be jealous. 

Grey Kitty

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »

Max, let me give you something to try on regarding the half truth about having a baby... .another take on the options here:

1. You are ready to be a father—you want this, and are ready. at least this is what I think you said.

2. Your wife doesnt appear healthy and stable enough to be a good mother.  Plus she has abused you verbally and physically, and blames you for calling the police rather than taking responsibility for her actions. She could change after having a baby, but there is no reason to believe it will be for the better.

3. Your answer to having a baby with her requires both #1 and #2 to be yes for an honest yes.

The answer: I am ready was true enough.

You have good reason to expect a full blown raging dysregulation if you say "no" of say "you aren't ready" instead.

Do you think your relationship could survive a consistent "no" on your part?

If not, consider whether you want to serve the OOP, or at least break up before you say "no".

maxsterling

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »

GK - I don't know if the r/s could survive with a consistent "no" to that question.  Any way to answer that question feels like a trap. 

And regarding #1 and #2 - yes, #1 is true, and #2 is also true. 

My bigger questions - "do I want this r/s to continue?" Even bigger than that, "Is it possible to continue this r/s?"

Depending on the answer to those questions, it may make the answer to the baby question irrelevant.

My feeling right now is to use this time to take care of myself.  Spending too much time pondering those questions right now is self-destruction. 

KateCat

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »

My feeling right now is to use this time to take care of myself. 

Hear! Hear!

Your primary care physician has seen you recently, hasn't he, as the result of some newly-emerging health issues you've had? What might he say if asked by you or your wife if you were "ready to have a baby" right now?

Is it possible that the physicians attending both Mr. and Mrs. Sterling might be in agreement that neither party is ready to have a baby at this time? I'm kind of remembering back to a theme that a number of valued contributors to your posts--including a board advisor--have repeated: that of the necessity for professional guidance in this very very difficult situation that is your marriage.

Really glad you've got some time to yourself. That both of you have some time to yourselves. Things are changing now.

Grey Kitty

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2015, 03:13:58 PM »

GK - I don't know if the r/s could survive with a consistent "no" to that question.  Any way to answer that question feels like a trap. 

That the question is a trap she keeps throwing at you is a big issue.

Which goes back to your other questions.

Meanwhile... .take good care of you. The peace of having her out of the house will help.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 06:58:04 AM »

Max,

When you feel ready... .can you update us on the status of your wife "complying" with her P... .T... ."mental health team"... .I would add in her GP and OB as well.

Last I remember... .it seems a good team has been assembled and she was starting to work with them.

FF

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »

it's possible, and probably a necessity for personal mental health... .to want the relationship to survive while being prepared for it and willing for it to NOT survive. both.  at the same time.  things don't feel like traps if one is willing to absorb and/ or be open to all possibilities.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest